PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Attacks of a big cat as an animal companion

Buenaventura
2016-10-01, 07:07 AM
Hi,

I'm using a big cat as an animal compaion for my hunter, but I'm not sure if I have its attacks correct.

One bite, 2 claws and a special attack, rake.
None of these is mentioned as being a secondary attack, so do all of them use the full attack bonus? So, without the special attack, 3 attacks at for example +10?
If that is correct, what pupose has the free multiattack feat gained on level 9?

The rake special attack can only be used while grappling, so I'd better get the improved grapple feat if i want to use that, correct?
Edit: Big cat gains grab at level 7, so improved grappling isn't necessary. But grab also says "if you hit with the indicated attack, you can start a grapple with a free action". The stats for a big cat don't mention the attack that may start a grapple though.

What about pounce? It is a beefed up charge, so, standard movement in a line without turns, and better get the improved charge feat?

CasualViking
2016-10-01, 09:10 AM
Hi,

I'm using a big cat as an animal compaion for my hunter, but I'm not sure if I have its attacks correct.

One bite, 2 claws and a special attack, rake.
None of these is mentioned as being a secondary attack, so do all of them use the full attack bonus? So, without the special attack, 3 attacks at for example +10?
If that is correct, what pupose has the free multiattack feat gained on level 9?

The rake special attack can only be used while grappling, so I'd better get the improved grapple feat if i want to use that, correct?
Edit: Big cat gains grab at level 7, so improved grappling isn't necessary. But grab also says "if you hit with the indicated attack, you can start a grapple with a free action". The stats for a big cat don't mention the attack that may start a grapple though.

What about pounce? It is a beefed up charge, so, standard movement in a line without turns, and better get the improved charge feat?

*All the attacks are primary and multiattack is wasted.
*Rake can only be used while grappling - or when charging, if you have the Pounce ability.
*The great cat entry fails to mention which attacks have grab. looking in the bestiary, we see that a regular tiger has grab on bite and claws, so lets go with that.
*What "improved charge" feat?

Buenaventura
2016-10-01, 05:24 PM
Ah, thanks for the clarification about multiattack and which attacks grab.
Sorry about the improved charge, was thinking of charge as a combat maneuver, but it isn't.

So, when I get to level 9 and a BAB of +6, I have 3 attacks at +6 and another 3 at +1? Or does it stay at 3 attacks with full BAB?

So, when I'm using pounce, I get a bite, 2 claws and the rake at full attack bonus? Or can the rake attack only be used if at least one of the standard attacks hits? Is the rake attack one claw as per big cat description or 2 claws as per the rake description?

CasualViking
2016-10-01, 11:46 PM
Ah, thanks for the clarification about multiattack and which attacks grab.
Sorry about the improved charge, was thinking of charge as a combat maneuver, but it isn't.

So, when I get to level 9 and a BAB of +6, I have 3 attacks at +6 and another 3 at +1? Or does it stay at 3 attacks with full BAB?

So, when I'm using pounce, I get a bite, 2 claws and the rake at full attack bonus? Or can the rake attack only be used if at least one of the standard attacks hits? Is the rake attack one claw as per big cat description or 2 claws as per the rake description?

3 attacks at +9. Natural weapons don't get iteratives (the extra attacks at +6, +11 and +16).

When you full attack, you get 3 attacks. When you charge (and use pounce), you also get the rake attacks (always two claws, as per the rake description; the note in the companion stat block tells you the type of damage die, not the number of attacks).

If you grapple an enemy, you get to make two claw attacks from Rake as a free action at the start of your turn.

There are two different situations in which Rake applies. The most common is a charge with Pounce, the less common is starting a round already grappling a foe.

NamelessNPC
2016-10-02, 12:07 AM
Also, when you get multiattack, if none of your attacks are secondary, you get an extra primary attack. It's not in an official FAQ, but one of the developers said it over at the paizo message boards

Buenaventura
2016-10-02, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the hint, I think I found the developer post on it: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2keis?Multiattack#7

I don't have to grapple to get the free rake attacks after a pounce, correct? So I just pounce to a target and get 5 attacks? Sounds neat. ;)
My PC is a ranged hunter, so I'll avoid having the cat grapple a foe, since I couldn't shoot him then.