PDA

View Full Version : Distress from 1970

stewstew5
2016-10-01, 01:02 PM
As you may or may not have infered, I'm a big 1e player and I just can't wrap my head around feats and skills. Can someone please explain them to me?

Waazraath
2016-10-01, 01:03 PM
What exactly you need to have explained?

JRDS
2016-10-01, 01:30 PM
As you may or may not have infered, I'm a big 1e player and I just can't wrap my head around feats and skills. Can someone please explain them to me?

FEATS are "an achievement that requires great courage, skill, or strength." In D&D, Feats are achievements with mechanical benefit. For example, in 5e there is a feat called "Actor." When you have achieved this feat, you gain the benefits as follows:

Increase your Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You have advantage on Charisma (Deception) and Charisma (Performance) checks when trying to pass yourself off as a different person.
You can mimic the speech of another person or the sounds made by other creatures. You must have heard the person speaking, or heard the creature make the sound, for at least 1 minute. A successful Wisdom (Insight) check contested by your Charisma (Deception) check allows a listener to determine that the effect is faked

In 5e you earn feats by trading in ASI (Ability Score Improvements), while in 3rd edition you simply gain them as you level. Some classes give you opportunities for bonus feats.

SKILLS are basically rolls that are common enough that we list them out. By listing them we can easily apply bonuses to them and use them in specific circumstances. For example, an Acrobatics check uses the Acrobatics skill. If you have bonuses to Acrobatics, then you are more likely to succeed on your check.

In 5e, skill checks or skill challenges actually target an ability score instead of a skill, but we give the skill inside of the ability score so if you are particularly good at something then you have bonuses to it.

For example, a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) checks is a Dexterity roll that you add bonuses to if you have bonuses for being good at manipulating objects in your hands similarly to how a thief or a magician might. However, we can use Intelligence (Sleight of Hand) or Charisma (Sleight of Hand) if we want for specific checks or challenges. Ultimately the ability used is decided by the Game Master.

stewstew5
2016-10-01, 01:51 PM
FEATS are "an achievement that requires great courage, skill, or strength." In D&D, Feats are achievements with mechanical benefit. For example, in 5e there is a feat called "Actor." When you have achieved this feat, you gain the benefits as follows:

Increase your Charisma score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You have advantage on Charisma (Deception) and Charisma (Performance) checks when trying to pass yourself off as a different person.
You can mimic the speech of another person or the sounds made by other creatures. You must have heard the person speaking, or heard the creature make the sound, for at least 1 minute. A successful Wisdom (Insight) check contested by your Charisma (Deception) check allows a listener to determine that the effect is faked

In 5e you earn feats by trading in ASI (Ability Score Improvements), while in 3rd edition you simply gain them as you level. Some classes give you opportunities for bonus feats.

SKILLS are basically rolls that are common enough that we list them out. By listing them we can easily apply bonuses to them and use them in specific circumstances. For example, an Acrobatics check uses the Acrobatics skill. If you have bonuses to Acrobatics, then you are more likely to succeed on your check.

In 5e, skill checks or skill challenges actually target an ability score instead of a skill, but we give the skill inside of the ability score so if you are particularly good at something then you have bonuses to it.

For example, a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) checks is a Dexterity roll that you add bonuses to if you have bonuses for being good at manipulating objects in your hands similarly to how a thief or a magician might. However, we can use Intelligence (Sleight of Hand) or Charisma (Sleight of Hand) if we want for specific checks or challenges. Ultimately the ability used is decided by the Game Master.

And when do you get ASI?

Arkhios
2016-10-01, 01:53 PM
And when do you get ASI?

At fixed levels determined by your class.
Most classes do get them at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th levels, but there are exceptions (fighter and rogue) who get additional ASI at certain levels (at 6th and 14th as a fighter, at 10th as a rogue).

stewstew5
2016-10-01, 02:49 PM
Also, where can i find the bonuses given by feats? Tavern Brawler says "bonuses with improvised weapons", but what sort of a bonus? And a barbarians armorless defense?

Arkhios
2016-10-01, 03:09 PM
Also, where can i find the bonuses given by feats? Tavern Brawler says "bonuses with improvised weapons", but what sort of a bonus? And a barbarians armorless defense?

Why does it feel like we're being trolled, or are you for real?

Proficiency bonus is found on the table for each class and it increases as you gain levels. Proficiency bonus applies to everything you are proficient with and is always the same on an individual basis.

Ability modifiers = ability bonuses.
Ability Score values should be familiar to even a 1e-player, although the modifiers differ a lot from those found in 1e.
0 = -5 penalty (negative "bonus")
1 = -5 penalty
2 = -4 penalty
3 = -4 penalty
4 = -3 penalty
5 = -3 penalty
6 = -2 penalty
7 = -2 penalty
8 = -1 penalty
9 = -1 penalty
10 = 0 bonus
11 = 0 bonus
12 = +1 bonus
13 = +1 bonus
14 = +2 bonus
15 = +2 bonus
16 = +3 bonus
17 = +3 bonus
18 = +4 bonus
19 = +4 bonus
20 = +5 bonus
...see the pattern already? It continues the same, although normally an ability score can't increase beyond 20 (again, there are exceptions, including barbarian)

Unarmored defense for barbarian is calculated from the bonuses of dexterity and constitution, their modifiers determined by the ability score value. A 14 Dexterity and a 16 Constitution would be a total of +5, added on top of the base 10 Armor Class you would have a total 15 Armor Class.

Total bonuses depend on proficiency bonus (if any) + ability bonus + other variables.

Ghost Nappa
2016-10-01, 03:14 PM

Out of curiosity, are you asking in general or are you trying to get into a game with a group of friends? Most of this information is readily available in the 5th edition of the Player's Handbook, and while I suppose it is possible to play the game without owning the copy, I can't help but suggest finding a copy and reading it if you're curious.

EvilAnagram
2016-10-01, 03:18 PM

The specific mechanical bonuses are listed under the feature. Tavern Brawler, for example, allows you to use your proficiency bonis with improvised weapon attacks, improvised weapons cause 1d4 damage unless the DM rules it higher, and you can deal 1d4+Str with an unarmed attack.

The Barbarian, when not wearing armor, has an AC of 10+Dex+Con. You can see this under the feature.

stewstew5
2016-10-01, 03:30 PM
Why does it feel like we're being trolled, or are you for real?

I am being legitimate, I've played 1e my whole life and my p.h. Is missing quite a few chapters

stewstew5
2016-10-01, 04:06 PM
So,

Str bonus + Dex bonus = "to hit" bonus

Str bonus = damage modifier

Char bonus = Bard spellcasting ability modifier, correct?

Also, do barbarians get dex bonus THEN unarmored defense bonus? So double the dex bonus then con bonus?

Arkhios
2016-10-01, 04:21 PM
So,

Str bonus + Dex bonus = "to hit" bonus

Str bonus = damage modifier

Char bonus = Bard spellcasting ability modifier, correct?

Also, do barbarians get dex bonus THEN unarmored defense bonus? So double the dex bonus then con bonus?

To hit bonus is:

Proficiency bonus + either str bonus or dex bonus (depends on weapon type and category; most melee weapons use str while ranged weapons use dex. Finesse melee weapons can be used with dex too).

Damage modifier is always the same as the one that was used with proficiency bonus to determine hit.

Cha bonus = bard spellcasting modifier, correct.

Barbarian unarmored defense overrules the generic rule. It is 10+dex+con.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-10-01, 04:42 PM
I am being legitimate, I've played 1e my whole life and my p.h. Is missing quite a few chapters
Try checking here (http://www.5esrd.com/) for missing rules. It won't have all the options, but it will have a lot.

Vorpalchicken
2016-10-01, 07:17 PM
Dagnabit! Why can't they keep things simple and just use acronyms, matrices and integers!

DivisibleByZero
2016-10-01, 07:25 PM
It's it weird that this nostalgia is making me miss THAC0?

An ASI is an ability score improvement, as described above. At class level 4, 8, etc, you get to raise one score by 2pts or two scores by 1pt each. Improving scores started in 3e.
Think of skills as if they were non-weapon proficiencies.
Think of feats as if they were optional (and secondary) class features that anyone can attain instead of raising ability scores.

Erys
2016-10-01, 08:02 PM

If you have managed to resist playing 2nd - 4th... why pick up 5th with half the book missing?

Wondermndjr
2016-10-01, 08:16 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?358474-A-Grognard-s-Guide-to-5E-D-amp-D-Rules

This guide should help a lot. It's mostly aimed at 3e players, but should be a pretty good introduction.

stewstew5
2016-10-01, 11:57 PM
If you have managed to resist playing 2nd - 4th... why pick up 5th with half the book missing?

A wizard did it

Willie the Duck
2016-10-02, 02:52 AM
And that wraps up that.

stewstew5
2016-10-03, 11:03 AM
For a Bard/barian, would i cast spells or rage by my character level ir the level i have in each class?

Arkhios
2016-10-03, 11:04 AM
For a Bard/barian, would i cast spells or rage by my character level ir the level i have in each class?

By class level each.

j_spencer93
2016-10-03, 11:06 AM
Ok. There are tons of sites you can look up to find this info. And why would Barbarian increase spellcasting? Unless your handbook is missing like the entire class section I am guessing a troll.
You can't even cast in rage.

But class features go up with levels in the specific class, not total levels.

Contrast
2016-10-03, 11:20 AM

The multiclassing rules are on page 163-165. As a broad rule, class features are levelled per your levels in that class.

There are specific rules if you're blending multiple spell casting classes but if you only have one casting class as per bard/barbarian you will just have whatever your bard levels on their own grant you. Same with barbarian class features. Your proficiency bonus would keep levelling in accordance with your total character level though.

I would strongly suggest not creating a multiclass character until you've tried the game out and have a firmer grasp on the rules.

Knaight
2016-10-03, 01:30 PM
Skills haven't been covered yet, but the easiest way to think of them is as incredibly narrow attributes. You roll against Strength for things that pertain to how strong you are, you roll against Perception for things that pertain to how perceptive you are, you roll against Animal Handling for things that pertain to how well you handle animals. It's just that instead of working like attributes (3-18 normal scale, 20 cap, etc.) they add your Proficiency to an attribute that is linked to the skill. Skills in general are ubiquitous in RPG design outside of D&D, and mini-attributes is probably the easiest way to think of them a lot of the time.

2D8HP
2016-10-03, 02:40 PM
Unless you count "Chainmail", the only D&D rules available in 1970 were in Dave Arneson's head, so by "Distress from 1970", I assume you're referring to your birth year, in which case:
Short answer from 1968
"Feats" are "optional rules", so choose the option to ignore them.
Problem solved!

Longer answer

You won't find all the 5e rules your missing, but you will find many:

here (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules)

and

here. (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd)

A feat represents a talent or an area of expertise that
gives a character special capabilities. It embodies
training, experience, and abilities beyond what a
class provides.
At certain levels, your class gives you the Ability
Score Improvement feature. Using the optional feats
rule, you can forgo taking that feature to take a feat
of your choice instead. You can take each feat only
once, unless the feat’s description says otherwise.
You must meet any prerequisite specified in a feat
to take that feat. If you ever lose a feat’s prerequisite,
you can’t use that feat until you regain the
prerequisite. For example, the Grappler feat requires
you to have a Strength of 13 or higher. If your
Strength is reduced below 13 somehow—perhaps by
a withering curse—you can’t benefit from the
Grappler feat until your Strength is restored.
Grappler
Prerequisite: Strength 13 or higher
You’ve developed the skills necessary to hold your
own in close-quarters grappling. You gain the
following benefits:
• You have advantage on attack rolls against a
creature you are grappling.
• You can use your action to try to pin a creature
grappled by you. To do so, make another grapple
check. If you succeed, you and the creature are
both restrained until the grapple ends.

stewstew5
2016-10-03, 10:15 PM
Unless you count "Chainmail", the only D&D rules available in 1970 were in Dave Arneson's head, so by "Distress from 1970", I assume you're referring to your birth year, in which case:
Short answer from 1968
"Feats" are "optional rules", so choose the option to ignore them.
Problem solved!

I meant more of from the 1970's

So, 1975-ish

Occasional Sage
2016-10-03, 10:43 PM

And why would Barbarian increase spellcasting?

The longer, more precise version of his question is: "Does a bard's casting increase by character or class level? Does a barbarian's rage increase by character or class level? It seems like they work the same, but which way specifically is unclear to me."

Klorox
2016-10-04, 09:38 AM
As another guy who started in 1e, feats are a big change in this game.

They serve to differentiate characters a lot more from each other.

Back in 1e, a 5th level fighter was similar to most other 5th level fighters.

Now you can customize each quite a bit, both with feats, fighting styles, and using DEX or STR to attack.

Willie the Duck
2016-10-04, 10:11 AM
Feats are entirely optional, and I would suggest not using them the first time playing if coming from a TSR edition game.

Attacking with Dex is an interesting addition, especially if you didn't see the tentative steps along the way. One the other hand, it is pretty easy to implement. Just think "with this fru-fru rapier, I can pretend my dex is my str." It's a lot easier than 3e, where it required a feat (a different feat for each weapon in 3.0) for melee weapons, was free for ranged, and didn't do so for damage, which you still used your str (except for bows and xbows, which had additional specific rules).:smalltongue:

2D8HP
2016-10-04, 02:04 PM
I meant more of from the 1970's

So, 1975-ish
1975? So D&D as played with the Greyhawk supplement, so Paladins and Thieves but no Assasins or Druids yet.
In that case 5e as played with the Starter set or the free Basic rules (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules), is an easier game to learn than D&D using the LBB's and Greyhawk, and definitely easier than Chainmail and the LBB's as it is more clearly written, and the core mechanics are more unified. It is however still more complex than the sublime 48 pages of the 1977 "Bluebook Basic rules", or the easy to understand 128 pages of the 1994 "Classic" rules (and I presume of the '81 and '83 rules), but you will not recoil in horror as you do from looking at the other post '90's versions of D&D.
It's a lot easier than 3e, where it required a feat (a different feat for each weapon in 3.0) for melee weapons, was free for ranged, and didn't do so for damage, which you still used your str (except for bows and xbows, which had additional specific rules).:smalltongue:*shudder*
The 5e Dungeon Masters Guide is a great read, and the 5e Monster Manual has what are effectively a list of NPC's in the back somewhat similar to the old "Rogues Gallery".
As a player you will appreciate how much more likely your PC is to survive with the extra hit points and abilities that 5e grants. As a DM? Try to keep the players away from the Players Handbook, and just have them use the online free rules as long as possible, as it's all the extra player options that make it a more complex game and a chore to DM.
If your rotating DM duties, than I would say that 5e is well worth it, but if your players force you to be the DM and memorize and use all the "optional rules", you may want to think twice, as they are a lot of shiny new abilities, and at higher levels DM'ing becomes more of a chore. If you DM'd any other 21st Century versions of D&D, it will probably seem easy to you.
The simplest class to play, is the (Champion) Fighter, the next simplest is the (Thief) Rogue.
The biggest change from '70's D&D is high much more powerful spell casters are at low levels. Spell casters now have "Cantrips" which are spells that can be used as many times per day as they want! And "high elves" get one no matter what class they are!
A muti-classed Champion/Thief High Elf with the Firebolt Cantrip is a lot of fun to play, but a "standard" human Fighter is the easiest to start as. Learn and use the "Second Wind" feature.
Good luck.

stewstew5
2016-10-05, 04:56 PM
1975? So D&D as played with the Greyhawk supplement, so Paladins and Thieves but no Assasins or Druids yet.
I

The complet AD&D 1e players handbook was publushed in 1994

stewstew5
2016-10-05, 05:00 PM
Ok. There are tons of sites you can look up to find this info. And why would Barbarian increase spellcasting? Unless your handbook is missing like the entire class section I am guessing a troll.

BARD/barian

Arkhios
2016-10-05, 05:15 PM

BARD/barian

What was that an answer for exactly? No, the order in which you have taken the class levels has nothing to do with how your class features progress or work. All class features progress individually, depending on class levels, not on character levels. Spellcasting, if gained from two separate classes, progress a bit differently, depending on which classes were multiclassed with each other.

When a barbarian (yes, even a BARD/barian) rages, you cannot cast any spells and all your spells that have concentration requirement end immediately. However, if any of your spells that you had cast before starting to rage had a continual effect without the need of concentration, those spells will last until their end conditions are met.

Willie the Duck
2016-10-05, 09:20 PM
Arkhios, seriously, he just said that the 1e PHB was published in 1994. We all know what's going on. Why feed it?

Sigreid
2016-10-05, 10:51 PM
I'm kind of surprised this thread continued after he said his 5e PHB is missing several chapters. That's either a lie or a pirated digital copy. And if you're going to pirate, it's not that hard to get the whole thing.

Arkhios
2016-10-05, 10:58 PM
Arkhios, seriously, he just said that the 1e PHB was published in 1994. We all know what's going on. Why feed it?

I honestly don't know. :smallconfused:
Something about his posts feel to be off, even for a troll.

Arkhios
2016-10-05, 11:44 PM
Maybe the spelling?

Maybe.
Also, most of the things that have been asked could be legitimate questions, and while Stewstew5 might not be completely legitimate himself, someone else coming to seek answers to the same questions might see this thread, so my posts have been said in general, rather than personal responses.

Knaight
2016-10-06, 11:43 PM

That could easily be a typo, particularly as typos aren't exactly absent from the posting style displayed.

2D8HP
2016-10-07, 12:52 AM
If anyone wonders:

The first Dungeons & Dragons box was in 1974.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DSs2bX13hVc/SfSTvUzCu4I/AAAAAAAAA9A/9bUyti9YmUk/s320/box1st.jpg

The first Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook was in 1978.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/PlayersHandbook8Cover.jpg

As far as "complete" rules, the Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia were published in 1991.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51jfxcIacTL._AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

The Classic Dungeons & Dragons Game: Rules and Adventures Book, (only was for levels one to five) was published in 1994.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51zg8bGF4gL._SL500_.jpg

And in 2014 was 5e Dungeons & Dragons

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ykm93n8ML._SY400_.jpg