PDA

View Full Version : 5e for Pathfinder Players

Slayer Lord
2016-10-01, 01:43 PM
Hi all. My group and I are pretty avid Pathfinder players, but we are curious about 5e and possibly giving it a try sometime in the near future. What are some things to expect out of 5e transiting from 3.whatever? How would you say they compare?

Grey Watcher
2016-10-01, 01:54 PM
Hi all. My group and I are pretty avid Pathfinder players, but we are curious about 5e and possibly giving it a try sometime in the near future. What are some things to expect out of 5e transiting from 3.whatever? How would you say they compare?

Well, the big thing is that there's less finding and stacking of bonuses. Some find this a pleasant streamlining of the experience, whereas others think it takes away a lot of customization and specialization options.

Thanks to the "bounded accuracy" design ethos, a foe is almost never going to become irrelevant: yes, a single orc warrior is a much bigger threat to a level 1 character than a level 15 character, but, unlike 3.P, the Level 15 character can't afford to outright ignore the Big Bad's dozen-or-so low level Orc mooks. They may not pack much of a wallop per blow, but, if ignored, they can whittle down your hit points pretty reliably.

RazDelacroix
2016-10-01, 02:15 PM
There is a general conversion guide that can be found here (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DnD_Conversions_1.0.pdf). The 5th Ed DM's Guide has some guidelines for working in new class archetypes and monsters for your needs as well.

Also, 5th edition is not in and of itself WORLD SPECIFIC, so aesthetics such as pantheons and what-not are a simple plug & play away.

5th Edition is also not Feat-heavy, in that there are no feat-chains you need to go through to excel/surpass/be-acceptable/even-attempt in a particular task.

Fable Wright
2016-10-01, 02:15 PM
If you want a particularly verbose explanation, scroll down to the 'Transition Guide' section here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18159686&postcount=2), which spells out explicitly everything you need to know about transitioning from 3.PF to 5e.