PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Classes using Rube Goldberg machines?

PelicanOfDeath
2016-10-01, 02:52 PM
I want to make a Pathfinder character that primarily uses Rube Goldberg machines to break traps and things like that. My DM says I can get RP experience for that. Can I get some Race/Class options for that?
For an example of what I'm trying to do:
Need to open a trapped door? Set up a trap on the other side with a pulley attached to the ceiling with soveriegn glue, run a rope through the pulley attached to a hammer with a timber hitch, then attach that to the base of a relatively untouched pit trap. Then set up a see-saw using the head of a dead enemy as a fulcrum, the paladin's broadsword as the line, and the rest of the dead enemy as the weight. Push on the sword to hammer open the door and activate the trap.

P.F.
2016-10-02, 12:09 AM
I want to make a Pathfinder character that primarily uses Rube Goldberg machines to break traps and things like that. My DM says I can get RP experience for that. Can I get some Race/Class options for that?
For an example of what I'm trying to do:
Need to open a trapped door? Set up a trap on the other side with a pulley attached to the ceiling with soveriegn glue, run a rope through the pulley attached to a hammer with a timber hitch, then attach that to the base of a relatively untouched pit trap. Then set up a see-saw using the head of a dead enemy as a fulcrum, the paladin's broadsword as the line, and the rest of the dead enemy as the weight. Push on the sword to hammer open the door and activate the trap.

Um

In my day, we used a 10-foot pole for this. At one point I had to upgrade to an 11-foot pole because too many traps had a 10-foot AoE. In another game the party rogue used long-reach tongs.

After re-reading the rules on traps and crafting, and looking at the descriptions of some traps, and the guidelines for designing traps, here's what I came up with:

Make a Disable Device check. If the result is greater than the trap's Disable Device DC, then your Rube Goldberg device has rendered the trap inoperable. If your result exceeds the trap's Disable Device DC by 10 or more, then your contraption can move you and your allies past the trap without disarming it. If you fail by 5 or more, then your apparatus has successfully sprung the trap. If you fail by 4 or less, then your Rube Goldberg device has malfunctioned, and you have to try again.

I'm also fairly certain that the skill isn't intended to be used this way. Consult your DM.

TheIronGolem
2016-10-02, 01:59 AM
Seems to me that this is simply a fun way to fluff a Disable Device check where you were able to take 20.