PDA

View Full Version : Recreating the Warcraft Fury Warrior

Shadowscale
2016-10-01, 04:27 PM
I love Warcraft, and to this day I always wanted to try to bring their equivalent of a fury warrior into a pathfinder/3.5 game.
Fury warriors are able to:
Dual wield a two handed size weapon in each hand
Able to charge into enemies
Wear full plate
Sacrifice their defenses for a boost to offenses
Become enraged
And Frighten people by their sheer presence

I'm not sure if any of this is really doable in pathfinder or 3.5 though or how viable it'd be, any ideas? Would be a lot of fun.

Kish
2016-10-01, 04:29 PM
I'd think it would be pretty easy to make as a homebrew prestige class.

Vhaidara
2016-10-01, 04:39 PM
I love Warcraft, and to this day I always wanted to try to bring their equivalent of a fury warrior into a pathfinder/3.5 game.
Wear full plate
Become enraged

I'm not sure if any of this is really doable in pathfinder or 3.5 though or how viable it'd be, any ideas? Would be a lot of fun.

Well, let's go down the list (this will be using Path of War, because it enables most of it)
Dual wield two handed weapons: Prodigious Two Weapon Fighting from Path of War Expanded combined with Stupendous Strength from Monster Classes: Savage Races I
Charge into enemies: Any character, best supported by the Primal Fury and Piercing Thunder Disciplines of Path of War + PoW:E (and accessible via Primal Disciple Barbarian from PoW:E)
Wear Full Plate: Heavy Armor Proficiency
Sacrifice Defenses to boost offesne: Rage, plus Reckless Abandon Rage Power
Become enraged: Rage
Frighten People by sheer presence: Cornugon Smash or Dazzling Display

Kantolin
2016-10-01, 06:39 PM
Isn't most of this really 'just barbarian rage'?

Charge into enemies, no limitation on armour and thus plate is a feat or multiclass away, sacrifice defenses for a boost to offenses, become enraged, there are many fear-based rage feats, and heck it even fits it being called a 'Fury' warrior.

In which the only real difficulty is 'weild at two-handed weapon in each hand'. But you can wield a thematically very large weapon in each hand and get much of the same feel? If not, I guess you could go with monkey grip or something.

So Barbarian 1, take a feat for pull plate or multiclass into anything that gives you full plate (Fighter?). Maybe go Spirit Lion Totem (Complete Champion) so he has pounce, which further encourages the 'charge into enemies'. Take a fear based feat or two and max intimidate (From the fighter level?). Take two-weapon fighting for the dual wielding, and you're set.

Kaje
2016-10-01, 06:51 PM

I dunno. Does monkey grip do that?

Charging

Wear full plate

Heavy Armor Proficiency

Shock Trooper

Become enraged

Rage

Intimidating Rage

So yeah, this a pretty standard barbarian with a handful of feats.

ShurikVch
2016-10-03, 01:38 PM
Most people there went strait to "Barbarian!"

I will say: Warblade.
The Tiger Claw discipline is a very thematically fit for Fury Warrior, and have various maneuvers which will help with TWF without the need for the whole feat chain

Sure, for Rage you will need dip in Barbarian (or Half-Orc Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#halfOrcParagon)), unless you will go for Tainted Fury/Hell's Fury, or Lyc.(/Anthro./Symb.) with (Dire) Badger, (Dire) Wolverine, or Carcass Eater (Libris Mortis)

In 3.5 it's impossible to dual wield Two-Handed Weapons, but you can instead use two One-Handed weapons designed for larger creatures (say, how about the pair of Bastard Swords of Frost Giants?); to do it without penalties, you will need either Strongarm Bracers (6000 gp, Magic Item Compendium), or Powerful Build (racial trait of Half-Giants (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#halfGiants), Goliaths, Cactacae, and Stonebone Creature template)

About the "Frighten people": I see nobody mentioned Dreadful Wrath - [regional] feat from Player's Guide to Faerūn

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-03, 02:08 PM
The easiest way to do this is with a barbarian/[warblade or crusader]/revenant blade 5/champion of Gwynharwyf 4. Revenant Blade lets you wield a double weapon - the Valenar double scimitar - while treating both ends as two-handed weapons (adding 1.5x strength modifier, double PA returns, the works). Champion of Gwynharwyf lets you sort-of-intimidate (it's actually a will save versus intimidate check) everyone within 30' when you enter rage. As a bonus, the example champion is shown wielding a double scimitar.

Spirit lion totem barbarians do not lose their pounce when wearing heavy armour, and neither do they lose whirling frenzy. Maneuvers, thrown in to add a little variety, are unimpeded by heavy armour. Obviously, two-handing and Shock Troopering are not impeded by heavy armour, and neither are CoG spells (which can be cast in rage, too!). Overall, you get a very solid pounce-plus build, which - sadly - takes a while to get online, requiring nine PrC levels to meet your checklist.

I'd personally prefer not to implement true one-handing of two-handed weapons - it somewhat breaks immersion for me, and I don't see the [mechanical/fluff] need for it. Treating weapons as two-handed, however, seems completely appropriate for berserk-style classes.

Psyren
2016-10-03, 02:51 PM

Other folks have covered 3.5 so I'll look at PF.

You want Titan Mauler and, well, that's it really. Everything else can be gotten via rage powers and feats.