PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for non combat or social challenge?

Gwiz
2016-10-01, 05:06 PM
So I'm trying to finish my homemade level 1-2 story and all I need is a non combat and non social challeng for my players, some sort of riddle or skill challenge.

They are currently traversing narrow paths between tall cliffs and they have reached a sort of crossroads with many different paths. I need one of them to lead to some sort of challenge which would fit with the type of wilderness. It would be cool if it was some ancient tablet with a sort of riddle or something like that, non combat and non social.

Anyone got ideas? For some reason I can't think of anything I feel satisfied with.

CaptainSarathai
2016-10-01, 05:33 PM
Do something with a bridge over one of the chasms? Put a few "trapped" planks or tiles on the bridge that will give-way and fall through. Have the tablet include some kind of pictographic solution, IF the players can decipher it. To add skills to it, I'd have some kind of spell used to "activate" the tablet or stone, requiring an Arcana check, and maybe a particularly hard-to-solve section where it would be easier for players to disable the trap rather than avoid it.

For a social challenge, that would be tricky without returning to a town. Unless you did a "Tim, the Enchanter" sort of scheme.

Specter
2016-10-01, 06:47 PM
A quick tip: spirits never die. If you need someone to persuade that can't be just hammered to death, that's how to go.

Gwiz
2016-10-02, 08:12 AM
I already have climbing/stay on your feet kind of challenges I think I wanna go in a direction with an ancient piece of a tablet with like a riddle on it or something like that. Do you have any ideas for that? I also wanna stay within the lore of the forgotten realms, for some reason I just can't think of something I'm happy with. Only got until friday to figure it out :P

Specter
2016-10-02, 08:47 AM
A simple puzzle:

1) Find an image of a monster, and make it monochromatic;
2) Cut the picture in 16 pieces (4x4)
3) Make the players find it and assemble the parts.

A riddle? "If you're here I'm here; if you're there I'm there; a name I have but don't try to call me; I will reveal myself in the light."

What they need to do is cast shadow over a specific part of the door/walls/whatever.