PDA

View Full Version : Can you create shadows?

NecroDancer
2016-10-01, 06:21 PM
I just finished reading about the "master of shrouds" in one of my old source books. That got me thinking, is there a way to duplicate the master of shrouds ability to create shadows?

DragonSorcererX
2016-10-01, 06:36 PM
I just finished reading about the "master of shrouds" in one of my old source books. That got me thinking, is there a way to duplicate the master of shrouds ability to create shadows?

I don't think there is a way, at least for pcs. I would let a Necromancer to use Create Undead to create Shadows and a Shadowlock to have one as a familiar.

lunaticfringe
2016-10-01, 06:46 PM
Off the top of my head just Zombies, Skeletons, Ghouls, Ghasts, Wights, & Mummies.

Shapechange form of Shadow Dragon! It's fun.

NecroDancer
2016-10-01, 06:49 PM
Darn, too bad warlocks can't cast "create undead" at higher levels

DragonSorcererX
2016-10-01, 08:37 PM
Darn, too bad warlocks can't cast "create undead" at higher levels

I wouldn't require Create Undead to be casted at a higher level, Shadows aren't more powerful than Ghouls, they are just more annoying.

JellyPooga
2016-10-02, 06:06 PM
I really liked the concept of the Master of Shrouds, but as I recall, the execution of the PrC was a little lacklustre in 3.5, largely due to it being a full-caster class that lost a level of spellcasting.

In 5ed, if we're not homebrewing, I'd probably go with a necromancy focused Death domain Cleric, utilizing appropriately fluffed spells; Spirit Guardians is the most obvious one that springs to mind, as is Darkness, but any spell that deals necrotic damage or deals with strength drain or instant death effects can also be fluffed as being summoned shades, tendrils of darkness and so forth to fit the image of a Master of Shrouds. You might not literally have a bunch of Shadows at your beck and call, but you can easily retain the feel of the Prestige Class without too much effort. Dipping for some flavour of Warlock or Oathbreaker Paladin may or may not suit your style too.

If homebrew is on the table, then allowing Create Undead to make Shadows is possibly the safest and easiest route, though using something akin to a necromantic Planar Binding or Conjure spell might also be an option. "Conjure Shade" or "Conjure Minions of Darkness" perhaps, for the Conjure line (I'd peg it around 4th or 5th level, to coincide with other Conjure spells of that type). For the Planar Binding route, replace the gold piece bargaining price with a similar cost in the blood of innocents or somesuch, to bind Shadows and their ilk to your cause for a purpose or set period and you're all set.

Naanomi
2016-10-02, 06:16 PM
Master of shrouds was a great PrC because of early entry tricks; I played a LN one with 'helping wronged spirits get their revenge' schtick

Plaguescarred
2016-10-03, 04:13 AM
I just finished reading about the "master of shrouds" in one of my old source books. That got me thinking, is there a way to duplicate the master of shrouds ability to create shadows?Anything creating dim lights is creating shadows, which most light source does.

Dim Light: Dim light, also called shadows, creates a lightly obscured area.