PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bands

Goodkill
2016-10-01, 07:24 PM
please no links to youtube videos unless they were put there by the band. videos really slow down loading times anyway.

right now i'm listening to Shinedown, on youtube. i plan to buy one or more of their albums.

also like, kind of a random list: 3 Days Grace, the song "You're Gonna Go Far Kid" by the Offspring, Nightwish, Apocalyptica especially their stuff on youtube, Garbage, Tristania, Flyleaf, some of Therion (kind of funny for this to be in a list with Flyleaf lol), of course my soundtrack (my music name is "Squidd"; sorry i couldn't help but add this), Rammstein, Alestorm and Hailstorm. all that i can think of right now, may edit with more bands

i've found that some bands have one or two really good songs and the rest i don't care for ... the ones in my list are not like that

edit: forgot Opeth

Razade
2016-10-01, 08:12 PM
Not a comprehensive list or in alphabetical order but

The Yeah Yeah Yeah's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auzfTPp4moA&index=101&list=PLsmv8Q07nyMCcx4Add8ETesLnTcAOVLh9)
The Protomen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apaJ3A56XbM&index=106&list=PLsmv8Q07nyMCcx4Add8ETesLnTcAOVLh9)
WaggekkiBand (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_xTet06SUo&index=118&list=PLsmv8Q07nyMCcx4Add8ETesLnTcAOVLh9)
Flogging Molly (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFz0D-bH58k&index=155&list=PLsmv8Q07nyMCcx4Add8ETesLnTcAOVLh9)
Eisley (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1RZslLUjEQ&index=1&list=PLsmv8Q07nyMCcx4Add8ETesLnTcAOVLh9)
Sage Francis (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TpP3fuYDkU)
The Mountain Goats (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bptnhUOG2GU&index=149&list=PLsmv8Q07nyMCcx4Add8ETesLnTcAOVLh9)
AJJ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WpaDUEvC2c)

Scarlet Knight
2016-10-02, 07:02 AM
The first band I loved were the Beatles ( go figure).

Then as I teenager, I discovered Jethro Tull and they became my band.

Now, I escape with Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers.

lylsyly
2016-10-02, 01:51 PM
Rush, first, last, and always.

#3 on the list for most consecutive Gold Albums belongs to Rush (Beatle and Rolling Stones are #s 1 and 2 respectively).

Lifeson, Peart and Lee are all three considered to be among the best at their respective instruments.

And then Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull....

I like the bands that have a one of a kind sound and are really into their instruments.

Not to tell exactly how old I am (58), but I saw all these and more live back in the day when they were hot (concerts were second only to sex back then).

Velaryon
2016-10-02, 04:07 PM
If I have to pick one favorite band, I'm going to choose Iron Maiden. However, there have been other bands before them that claimed the title.

Aerosmith - for a year or two when I was 11 or 12. I was mostly into hip-hop and pop because that's all I was aware of until then, and then I discovered Aerosmith and it was like a whole new world of music opened up to me.

Smashing Pumpkins - following on the heels of Aerosmith, my cousin introduced me to the Smashing Pumpkins when I was 13 by showing me the video for "Tonight, Tonight" on MTV. To this day that remains my favorite song (and music video) of all time.

Rammstein - they became my favorite somewhere in high school, after the Pumpkins had released a couple of relatively lackluster albums (Adore and Machina). My tastes were changing toward harder and heavier stuff, and Rammstein was just the coolest. I actually took German classes in college just because I wanted to understand their songs.

Iced Earth - late in my college years, I started to get really into Iced Earth because the combination of Matt Barlow's vocals and Jon Schaffer's rhythm guitar was so dramatic and badass to me. Sadly, by that time their best work was already behind them and Barlow was gone from the band. He rejoined a few years later but it's clear his passion wasn't there and the album was fairly terrible. He left again and as far as I know hasn't returned to the music world.

Somewhere after college, Iron Maiden overtook Iced Earth as my favorite because they're in a similar genre but have a larger body of work and Bruce Dickinson is the coolest person ever.

Aliquid
2016-10-02, 11:04 PM
My list of favorite bands bounces all over the place... I will find something and listen to it like crazy for a while, and then move on to something else completely.

Heavy metal, classical, jazz, bluegrass, electronica, rock, etc...

I'm always amused by bands that cross genres in a creative way. Like the Finnish band Apocalyptica that plays heavy metal on electric cellos.

Over the last month, I have been into anything that Amanda Palmer has been involved with.

Some stuff I keep coming back to though, like Pink Floyd, Yes, John Coltrane, Mussorgsky

Corlindale
2016-10-03, 02:56 AM
My list of favorite bands bounces all over the place... I will find something and listen to it like crazy for a while, and then move on to something else completely.

I'm the same way.

My current obsession is Ayreon, which I guess is more of a one-man project with a different set of collaborators for each album. I've listened to The Human Equation for a while (the concept is sort of like a dark and twisted version of Inside Out), but recently I've started to discover the rest of the discography.

I like concept albums with grand themes and an epic feel, and even though they do admittedly get a bit/very cheesy at times, this is what Ayreon does. I guess the overall genre is progressive metal, though the music has a lot of different styles at times.

Another recent discovery has been Public Service Broadcasting, which has a pretty unique concept. They basically collect authentic historical audio and video clips related to various themes and put them to music. It sounds crazy, but it works amazingly well.

I think their absolute highlight is The Race for Space - a concept album that recounts the history of the space race from Sputnik to Apollo. I would recommend this to anyone - and reiterate the advice I got when it was recommended to me: Listen to the entire thing in sequence, don't just google the hits. The album is an emotional rollercoaster that has to be experienced.

If you want to sample a track that works great on its own, this one is about the London Blitz: London Can Take It (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4Rr07bgVQ)

Feytalist
2016-10-03, 05:49 AM
So... since so many of the bands in this thread are metal, the current general metal thread is over yonder (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?323069-Metal-Thread-VIII-Playgroundklok). Just as an FYI.

General music threads pop up occasionally, but they tend to die slow and lonely deaths, for some reason.

Personally, I don't really get the idea of a favourite band (or a favourite anything, really), since for me it changes with each new release, or my mood, or the weather, or, like, the phases of the moon or whatever. And since finding new music is basically what I do with my spare time, I go through a lot of releases. I'll never be the guy who carves Slayer into their forearm or similar.

But I guess top of the list for the longest are... darkwave bands Diary of Dreams and Dargaard (both Adrian Hates and Tharen can do no wrong in my book), gothic rock bands Sisters of Mercy and Fields of the Nephilim (ditto for Andrew Eldritch and Carl McCoy - and there's a new Fields album coming! ...eventually), let's throw anything William Faith has done in there for good measure. Radiohead for patches of their career (early stuff and new stuff, really). Viking-era Bathory and generally all of Falkenbach, oh yeah and Sig:Ar:Tyr, mid-era Therion, most of Ulver, Moonsorrow hasn't released any bad music yet, and neither has Thrawsunblat. Oh yeah, and the best prog metal band no-one's ever heard of: Shadow Gallery. Wish they'd make more music.

But yeah. No favourites, not really :smalltongue:

Edit: Oh, yeah:

Iced Earth - late in my college years, I started to get really into Iced Earth because the combination of Matt Barlow's vocals and Jon Schaffer's rhythm guitar was so dramatic and badass to me. Sadly, by that time their best work was already behind them and Barlow was gone from the band. He rejoined a few years later but it's clear his passion wasn't there and the album was fairly terrible. He left again and as far as I know hasn't returned to the music world.

Ashes of Ares. Barlow's new band. Only one album in 2013, but as far as I know it's still going. Although, honestly, unless you really need more Barlow in your life, I wouldn't really bother. It's skippable.

lylsyly
2016-10-03, 11:41 AM
I'm always amused by bands that cross genres in a creative way. Like the Finnish band Apocalyptica that plays heavy metal on electric cellos.

I check out the video to "Path". Definitely worth listening to, for me anyway. Thanks.

Velaryon
2016-10-06, 12:31 PM
My current obsession is Ayreon, which I guess is more of a one-man project with a different set of collaborators for each album. I've listened to The Human Equation for a while (the concept is sort of like a dark and twisted version of Inside Out), but recently I've started to discover the rest of the discography.

The Human Equation is such a musically diverse album. It's very interesting to listen to, though I have to be in the right mood for them.

Ashes of Ares. Barlow's new band. Only one album in 2013, but as far as I know it's still going. Although, honestly, unless you really need more Barlow in your life, I wouldn't really bother. It's skippable.

That depends - is it closer to his work with Pyramaze, or to the awful album he made after returning to Iced Earth?

Lord Gehnvaar
2016-10-07, 06:59 AM
My number 1 spot would definitely go to Iron Maiden, I've been in love with their music for as long as I can remember.

Other bands/artist I love would be, in no particular order, Blind Guardian, Black Sabbath, Iced Earth, Blue Öyster Cult, Queen, Van Halen, B.B. King, Frank Zappa, ZZ Top, among others, but I feel like if I name them all this would be a very long post :smalltongue:

Feytalist
2016-10-07, 09:00 AM
I love their album Eternity Rites-- great music for when you're writing/contemplating a dark fantasy setting.

Definitely my favourite as well. But all their albums are great (all four of them...). Wonderfully moody. Tharen's time in Abigor and Amestigon certainly helps.

That depends - is it closer to his work with Pyramaze, or to the awful album he made after returning to Iced Earth?

Hey now... I actually liked The Crucible of Man :smallbiggrin: But it's more like Pyramaze, I'd say. Prog/power really. Iced Earth is its own beast.

Saint Jimmy
2016-10-08, 04:59 PM
Mine are pretty weird for someone my age, but they are Green Day, Rush, Dragonforce, Bon Jovi, Skillet, and to a lesser extent Meat Loaf.
Huh. Who knew that my first post on an RPG forum would be talking about music?

Goodkill
2016-10-08, 07:28 PM
Mine are pretty weird for someone my age, but they are Green Day, Rush, Dragonforce, Bon Jovi, Skillet, and to a lesser extent Meat Loaf.
Huh. Who knew that my first post on an RPG forum would be talking about music?

aha! i forgot about Meatloaf. big fan. not a big fan of Green Day or Bon Jovi or Skillet though. Rush and Dragonforce are okay (Dragonforce esp. on Guitar Hero).

Peelee
2016-10-08, 11:04 PM
Velaryon, Lord Gehnvaar, y'all got some stellar taste.

Iron Maiden is my favorite, followed very closely by Judas Priest and Ozzy. I also love a lot of 90s alt rock, and obviously other classic British metal, like UFO.

Maiden is the only band I've ever seen in concert. July 2006, i believe, at Madison Square Garden. Right up front on the fence, barely a few feet from the band, right in front of Steve Harris. One of the best nights of my life, that.

ForzaFiori
2016-10-11, 11:58 AM
My favorite bands has always been the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Incubus, but depending on my mood you can find me listening to anything from Tech n9ne to Hank Williams Jr. My favorites and the ones I always go back to have always been modern rock, from the heavy stuff like A7X (damn I miss the Rev) or 3 days grace, to the more beachy/ska stuff like sublime and 311.

Velaryon
2016-10-15, 11:31 AM
Hey now... I actually liked The Crucible of Man :smallbiggrin: But it's more like Pyramaze, I'd say. Prog/power really. Iced Earth is its own beast.

To each their own, but I felt like Framing Armageddon and The Crucible of Man are in serious competition for worst album Jon Schaffer has ever produced. I know he wanted to expand his Something Wicked trilogy into a full story for a long time, but both albums feel uninspired and weak to me, like the band is just retreading ground they've already covered, but not doing it as well as before. I put Framing Armageddon above though because at least it had the amazing "Ten Thousand Strong" on it.

I know most people dump on The Glorious Burden, but I actually loved that album. The production isn't so good, and the lyrics and ideas are a bit simple by Iced Earth standards, but there are a lot of good tunes there, and Tim Owens is a hell of a singer (even if he's no Matt Barlow or Rob Halford).

Speaking of Owens, I enjoyed his Beyond Fear project even though that wasn't anything especially complex or innovative. So maybe Ashes of Ares will work for me too.

Iron Maiden is my favorite, followed very closely by Judas Priest and Ozzy. I also love a lot of 90s alt rock, and obviously other classic British metal, like UFO.

Maiden is the only band I've ever seen in concert. July 2006, i believe, at Madison Square Garden. Right up front on the fence, barely a few feet from the band, right in front of Steve Harris. One of the best nights of my life, that.

Thanks! I'm not very familiar with UFO, but I like all the other bands you've mentioned so maybe I should check them out.

I've seen Maiden in concert three times, and they've done a totally different show every time. Back in 2005 when they were carrying an otherwise mediocre Ozzfest, they only played their first 4 albums. Then I saw them a few years later when they only played stuff from Brave New World and after. Then a couple years ago they were doing Fear of the Dark. Every time has been awesome.

Lord Gehnvaar
2016-10-24, 07:05 AM

Heh, thanks, and I undertand that feeling, so far I just had one chance to see them (we don't get that many rock/metal bands where I'm from :/) it was in 2013, also front row, went with my father and little brother; both are also big fans. Suffice to say that night is burnt into my memory like no other :smallbiggrin:

Smitemeister
2016-10-24, 05:04 PM
My girlfriend has been listening to "the majority says" lately. Wouldn't say they're my favourite band but their songs are pretty catchy and just get stuck in my head... :smallsmile:

Bohandas
2016-10-29, 11:48 PM
Weird Al, DEVO, GWAR, Dethklok, ICP, Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, and Tom Lehrer

EDIT:
Also: Rusty Cage, Jon LaJoie, and Lady Gaga

EDIT:
Also: Mister Weebl, Gregorian, The El-Queso Allstars, Voltaire, the Beatles, the Who, the Swinging Love Corpses, John Williams, Coconut Pete, Zombina and the Skeletons, Einstein's Secret Orchestra, Tenacious D, and Monty Python (I've got the CD of all the songs from the TV show as well as the soundtrack to "Spamalot")

EDIT:
Also: Mojo Nixon, and Twisted Sister

EDIT:
and Ozzy Osbourne

Peelee
2016-10-30, 08:01 PM
....that's one helluva spectrum.

Bohandas
2016-11-01, 12:14 PM
mostly the ones in the first part of the list though

lovablepal
2016-11-02, 08:26 AM
One of my favorite bands is Air Supply (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Supply).

TheFallenSon86
2016-11-02, 09:50 AM
I've recently redound my collection of Dream Theatre on burned discs from ten years ago...also I've become recently obsessed with Sabaton and Five Finger Deathpunch.

Laylyn
2016-11-05, 04:58 PM
Tool rates very high in my household, to submit otherwise or any other band will likely get me in trouble with the boss.

/salute

lylsyly
2016-11-06, 03:44 PM
I am enjoying Yes today, great music. Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO49gHC3tfc)

Aliquid
2016-11-07, 12:06 PM
I am enjoying Yes today, great music. Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO49gHC3tfc)That brings me back. I used to extensively listen to Yes on my Walkman back in the early 90s.

lylsyly
2016-11-07, 01:06 PM
Right now I am listening to Jethro Tull thick as a brick from '72

Yeah I am showing my age again.

Cranelotus
2016-11-10, 11:54 AM
Haha I'm not surprised at all that on an RPG forum, the majority of people like metal. That's cool, I dig it. My favourite heavier bands (I'm not arguing labels with anyone btw, it's basically a ****-swinging contest) are Dillinger Escape Plan and Converge. Mastodon are pretty good too. Mithotyn and Opeth are my guilty pleasures.

Bands I listen to on the regular are folk though:

Fleet Foxes - Personal favourite is "Blue Ridge Mountains", but all their songs are great
Espers - "Rosemary Lane", hands down.
Father John Misty - bit more of an acquired taste, folk-americana. His lyrics are really good though. His most popular song is probably "I Love you, Honey Bear"
Nick Drake - Really underrated musician from the 60s. "Which Will" might be his most recognizable, some really nice guitar-work. I like "Pink Moon" too.
Vashti Bunyan - Also another underrated musician from the 60s. The whole album "Just Another Diamond Day" is worth 40 minutes of your time. but the title track is the best one, easily.

Enjoy!

Aedilred
2016-11-10, 02:02 PM
Aerosmith - for a year or two when I was 11 or 12. I was mostly into hip-hop and pop because that's all I was aware of until then, and then I discovered Aerosmith and it was like a whole new world of music opened up to me.

A criminally underrated band by modern listeners, in my opinion. I guess many of my generation were first properly exposed to them in their Armageddon guise and never took them seriously thereafter, but back in their heyday they were about as good as it gets. And without Aerosmith we'd have no, or at least a radically different, Guns N' Roses, so music owes them a great debt already.

My musical tastes are somewhat dated, as I think I've only bought albums numbering in single figures since 2010 and all of those from established artists before then. I'm a big fan of a lot of that stuff from the first wave of Brit-rock with the glam edge: T. Rex; Slade; Mud; Queen; Elton John - and though not glam I'm going to mention Pink Floyd at this stage too, as they're definitely of that era. I'm actually kind of ambivalent about a lot of Bowie's material but I listen to him enough for him to deserve a mention.

Moving forward a bit into my youth, the rockier, indi-er end of Britpop: Ash; Suede; early Radiohead; James; reasonable portions of Blur and Oasis's catalogues. I've kept up with Ash and Damon Albarn, so Gorillaz and The Good, The Bad and The Queen can be lumped in together with that lot, but not so much the others or their successor projects.

Then there's the indie rock stuff I used to listen to while I was a student: groups like the Killers, Franz Ferdinand (although they've dated less well than I would have expected), Elbow, Kasabian, Bright Eyes, Eels. Even, though I cringe to admit it, Coldplay, on occasion. As a proper adult my new adoptions are pretty much limited to Mumford & Sons and The National.

There are a couple of others that have found their way into my collection despite not fitting into really any of the above categories: Scott Walker; Leonard Cohen; Dire Straits; Meat Loaf; Depeche Mode; New Order; The Art of Noise, and, as suggested by my first paragraph here, GNR. There are a few others who I might consider mentioning but in most cases it's a matter of a handful of songs or maybe one or two albums of many that I listen to occasionally.

Feytalist
2016-11-11, 03:59 AM
Mithotyn and Opeth are my guilty pleasures.

I'm just surprised anyone else as even heard of Mithotyn :smallbiggrin: I'm a big fan.

Also, no guilty pleasures here! Opeth is a legitimately talented band.

Lord Gehnvaar
2016-11-11, 07:26 AM
A criminally underrated band by modern listeners, in my opinion. I guess many of my generation were first properly exposed to them in their Armageddon guise and never took them seriously thereafter, but back in their heyday they were about as good as it gets. And without Aerosmith we'd have no, or at least a radically different, Guns N' Roses, so music owes them a great debt already.

THIS! Like, seriously underrated and unappreciated.

Aedilred
2016-11-11, 10:21 AM
Leonard Cohen

Aw, nuts. /10chars

Feytalist
2016-11-11, 11:08 AM
Aw, nuts.

Had to look up what you meant. Yeah... damn.

Gonna have to go pick up his new album now.

Peelee
2016-11-11, 01:46 PM
Aerosmith

A criminally underrated band by modern listeners, in my opinion.

THIS! Like, seriously underrated and unappreciated.

....Aerosmith?!? Aedilred and Lord Gehnvaar, y'all are saying Aerosmith is underrated? The world-famous, massively successful band with at least two video games centered entirely around them, with multiple songs so obscenely renowned that they have become cliche pieces in movies and television? That Aerosmith?

.........i disagree.

Siosilvar
2016-11-11, 01:56 PM
Out of all the bands to call underrated, I don't think ones that I hear on the radio literally every time I'm in my car count. The only rock groups more well known are like... The Killers, Bon Jovi, and Queen.

Aedilred
2016-11-11, 03:53 PM
Well, two things on that score. Firstly, I think the transatlantic divide is in play. Aerosmith were never as big in the UK as they were in the US, and less so during the period when they were actually good. Their influence was, I think, always more visible than the band itself: Walk This Way more familiar to my peers via its cover version; Dream On because it was sampled by Eminem. Ask a Brit my age to name an Aerosmith song and odds on it'll be I Don't Want to Miss a Thing, their only top ten hit.

Secondly, success doesn't necessarily equate to appreciation. Justin Bieber has sold a million billion records and the predominant opinion of musical pop culture is that he's terrible. The Bon Jovi comparison is interesting, because among my peers if the topic turned to music and you mentioned them people would recoil in horror. Livin' on a Prayer is just about tolerated as a cheesy oldie at weddings and the like (similarly to, less forgivably, in my opinion, Bryan Adams' Summer of 69) but to delve any more deeply into their catalogue would provoke derision. Not dissimilarly, among youngish people in this country at least, the overwhelming impression I get is that while most people have at least heard of Aerosmith, nobody actually listens to them, they get relatively little play on radio, and even their influence on rock music as a whole is, outside relatively expert circles, highly underappreciated. This is likely at least in part because of I Don't Want to Miss a Thing, which, being the song of theirs people are most familiar with, and being both not very good on its own count and associated with a Michael Bay film for good measure, has not done their reputation any favours.

So from my personal perspective and experience I have no real problem with calling them underrated, although I can see why it might seem strange.

Lord Gehnvaar
2016-11-11, 04:49 PM
Well, it clearly said current generation, yes, they're still huge, but mainly by their all time fans, try and make a teenager to listen to Aerosmith, I doubt they'll appreciate it as much as it any other generation would.

Peelee
2016-11-11, 05:32 PM
Well, it clearly said current generation, yes, they're still huge, but mainly by their all time fans, try and make a teenager to listen to Aerosmith, I doubt they'll appreciate it as much as it any other generation would.

Imean, by that metric, literally all old famous bands are underrated in the current generation. Elvis, The Beatles, Louie Armstrong, any band that did ragtime back in the '20s, etc. It's a very poor metric to go by, IMO.

Well, two things on that score. Firstly, I think the transatlantic divide is in play. Aerosmith were never as big in the UK as they were in the US, and less so during the period when they were actually good. Their influence was, I think, always more visible than the band itself: Walk This Way more familiar to my peers via its cover version; Dream On because it was sampled by Eminem. Ask a Brit my age to name an Aerosmith song and odds on it'll be I Don't Want to Miss a Thing, their only top ten hit.

Secondly, success doesn't necessarily equate to appreciation. Justin Bieber has sold a million billion records and the predominant opinion of musical pop culture is that he's terrible. The Bon Jovi comparison is interesting, because among my peers if the topic turned to music and you mentioned them people would recoil in horror. Livin' on a Prayer is just about tolerated as a cheesy oldie at weddings and the like (similarly to, less forgivably, in my opinion, Bryan Adams' Summer of 69) but to delve any more deeply into their catalogue would provoke derision. Not dissimilarly, among youngish people in this country at least, the overwhelming impression I get is that while most people have at least heard of Aerosmith, nobody actually listens to them, they get relatively little play on radio, and even their influence on rock music as a whole is, outside relatively expert circles, highly underappreciated. This is likely at least in part because of I Don't Want to Miss a Thing, which, being the song of theirs people are most familiar with, and being both not very good on its own count and associated with a Michael Bay film for good measure, has not done their reputation any favours.

So from my personal perspective and experience I have no real problem with calling them underrated, although I can see why it might seem strange.

From a different country, I will defer to your authority, since I can't speak with any sort of certainty. Although, with your Beiber comparison, yes; fame and success does not equate to appreciation, but similarly, appreciation often does lead to fame and success. In Aerosmith's case, this holds true (in the US, at least).

Also, Summer of 69 is delightful.

Aedilred
2016-11-11, 07:27 PM
Also, Summer of 69 is delightful.

In the event I ever get married, I'm specifically going to ban it from the reception. I do not feel the need to do that pre-emptively with any other song, which should probably indicate both how I feel about it and how often it gets played at weddings I attend (i.e. all of them, usually towards the end of the evening).

Peelee
2016-11-11, 10:15 PM
In the event I ever get married, I'm specifically going to ban it from the reception. I do not feel the need to do that pre-emptively with any other song, which should probably indicate both how I feel about it and how often it gets played at weddings I attend (i.e. all of them, usually towards the end of the evening).

Imean, i have no problem with it not being played at weddings. That's a weird choice y'all got. Like how you call cookies and scones "biscuits." What are biscuits called? It's a topsy-turvy world of driving on the left side of the road and cockney rhyming slang, i say! I stand with you on the wedding band!

It's a good song to hear occasionally on the radio though.

The Extinguisher
2016-11-12, 01:53 AM
My all time favourite band is Sister City. Check them out here (http://sistercity.bandcamp.com/).

I can rarely put into words what I like most about them, but they do everything I want out of my music, and it's so very genuine. Each song feels like a piece of art that could only have been created by Adam Linder, but they're so emotionally relatable that you get engrossed in the music.

Anyway, check them out. They're very good and deserve far more recognition.

Aedilred
2016-11-12, 05:58 AM
Imean, i have no problem with it not being played at weddings. That's a weird choice y'all got. Like how you call cookies and scones "biscuits." What are biscuits called? It's a topsy-turvy world of driving on the left side of the road and cockney rhyming slang, i say! I stand with you on the wedding band!

It's a good song to hear occasionally on the radio though.

Although there are some differences due to variances in cuisines, what you call biscuits we call scones, more or less. Our "biscuits" are a broad church which include cookies towards the soft, thick end, but most are firmer and crunchier. I don't understand American scones: from what I see on Google they seem to be normal scones (or biscuits, in your terms) that haven't been formed and just sort of splatted onto a baking tray. :smalltongue:

Peelee
2016-11-12, 01:56 PM
Although there are some differences due to variances in cuisines, what you call biscuits we call scones, more or less. Our "biscuits" are a broad church which include cookies towards the soft, thick end, but most are firmer and crunchier. I don't understand American scones: from what I see on Google they seem to be normal scones (or biscuits, in your terms) that haven't been formed and just sort of splatted onto a baking tray. :smalltongue:

American scones are things that coffee people and upper-middle-class prople like to eat because they're supposed to be European, if that helps any.

Mister Tom
2016-11-14, 02:08 PM
Weird Al, DEVO, GWAR, Dethklok, ICP, Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, and Tom Lehrer

I like Lehrer and Yankovitch too:smallsmile:. Have you tried Tim Minchin or the Amateur Transplants?

tantric
2016-11-14, 09:22 PM
i'm from athens, ga, so i guess it's predictable...

PYLON (https://chunklet.bandcamp.com/album/gravity-b-w-weather-radio)

Love Tractor (https://play.spotify.com/artist/7veWqOewqKD2VtJruP51TB)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4QSYx4wVQg&list=PLmXxqSJJq-yWFGnoeZtw48Okyo4xVUJJj&index=4

REM up to Document. nothing after, including Green

and for the ATLiens, arrested development, the indigo girls, outkast, etc