PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Maverick (All 20 Levels, Class) (PEACH)

PapaQuackers
2016-10-01, 07:27 PM
Alrighty guys, I didn't get any feedback on the initial 5 levels of Maverick Hunter which seems to indicate that no one cares about the concept except me I made the additional levels. :smallfrown::smallfrown:

Tell me what you think! or not...I guess I'm used to it. :smallfrown::smallfrown:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oH7YsA96NO3lNeckAru67IWtqWZcK3tDof2ofbbTgdI/edit?usp=drive_web

AuraTwilight
2016-10-02, 12:24 PM
Uh, link? I have no idea where I can see this class.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-02, 02:01 PM
Link posted. Sorry about that.

AuraTwilight
2016-10-03, 02:58 PM
So my first question is fluff-based. This is a class about being a Megaman robot, so how does this interact with races?

PapaQuackers
2016-10-03, 04:07 PM
I haven't really found a fluff justification that I like yet. I could try and reflavor it as like a part warforged experimental construct.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-04, 09:23 AM
All techniques updated and I've made some changes to the core abilities.

I'd really appreciate some feedback!

Lalliman
2016-10-04, 11:00 AM
Thematically, it looks good, appropriate for a Mega Man character. Of course, that makes it pretty hard to play in an actual game.

Now for the mechanical feedback.

1. A lot of the phrasing doesn't fit 5e's wording style. That's barely an issue, but some of it is also needlessly wordy. Next time you're unsure how to word something, look up a comparable feature in the PHB.

For example, the line: "When you receive damage you may expend Energy in order to gain resistance to the type of damage being dealt to you. This effect will last until the beginning of your next turn. This is done as a reaction."
Could be better written as: "When you take damage, you can spend 1 Energy as a reaction to gain resistance to that damage type until the start of your next turn."

2. I would replace all instances of "expend Energy" with "expend 1 Energy", for clarity.

3. The third Charge option is weirdly phrased, it reads as if it's two separate actions. I assume you mean something like: "You can move up to 10 feet as a bonus action without provoking opportunity attacks. This movement ignores difficult terrain and can pass through occupied squares."
You should avoid using the word "dash", as that implies the Dash action.

4. Transmute Energy states "Lightning/Thunder" as if they're the same thing. They're not.

5. Incorruptible Systems apparently causes everyone everywhere to roll Persuasion and Intimidation at disadvantage. Also, Diplomacy doesn't exist.

6. Lightning Web: For one, it has no duration. Secondly, it's more convenient to just say that it works like the web spell instead of including the entire description.

Overall, it strikes me as a bit underpowered, but I'm having a hard time evaluating the way the features come together. It'll need playtesting to see how it holds up.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-04, 11:37 AM
Ill try and sure up the language.

What seems to be underpowered exactly if you have any idea?

Im also working to flavor it as half warforged experiments that gain freedom and hunt down evil half warforged.

Lalliman
2016-10-04, 01:12 PM
I did some math and it actually compares quite favourably to the monk, so maybe my suspicions were wrong. I only based my math on levels 5 and 11 though. I feel like the Maverick is worst in the 4-9 range, when monk gets Extra Attack, Stunning Strike and Evasion, while the Maverick gets very little worthwhile. They get Techniques, but those strike me as extremely situational and in many situations worse than just attacking. Their power picks back up when they get Extra Attack at 10th level, which meshes extremely well with Charge. But given that many games focus exactly on that level range, I imagine it'll be frustrating to play with.

To improve it, I suggest you add another big, useful feature somewhere in the 5-9 range. You should also have another look at your Techniques and consider how they'll hold up once you get Extra Attack. Ice Stab for example: at 10th level, it'll deal 3d10 damage at best (assuming you have high Strength, which you won't), whereas a normal Attack action + bonus action attack will deal 3d10+15.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-04, 02:05 PM
I've upped the damage on Ice Spear and fixed up some of the language. Cant fixit all as Im on the mobile inbetween classes at uni.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-04, 04:44 PM
Ok so here's some of the changes I've made in line with your critique.

I've upped the damage on pretty much all techniques, fixed all the language errors I could find, added a new piece to Analyze Enemies, and added a new 5th level ability called Destructive Blows.

Analyze Enemies now allows you to make an opportunity attack against enemies you've analyzed that come within 5ft of you.

Destructive Blows allows you to use your Energy to make your melee attacks knock an enemy 5ft backwards.

I'm hoping that combination will allow your early levels to be more interesting and more powerful to help curb the possible frustrations you've brought forward.

Please tell me what you think.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-05, 09:23 PM
I've added a couple more techniques and I'll soon be formatting this through the homebrewery. It'll most likely be renamed The Half-Forged.

Any thoughts or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.