PDA

View Full Version : Shorter game...

strategy
2007-07-10, 08:03 AM
Hi,

I played this game at a CON some weeks ago, and found it fun enough to get hold of it myself. The game does well at approximating the humor of the comic, and provides many elements of a fun little dungeon-brawl at the same time.

The OOTSAG would be a perfect alternative to Munchkin and its ilk, except for two problems:

- Quite dense rules and many options. This ensures it will never become a drinking game. Less of a problem as long as there are one or two players familiar with the game playing.

- Long playing time. As with many such box claims, the "short" game isn't (sure, if everyone plans their turn in advance, is intimately familiar with the rules, no one interrupts, etc. etc., perhaps it can be done in 3 hrs). The last is the real game-killer in my gaming group, as many players who would be willing to give most games a spin, won't if it regularly breaks that time limit.

I've already seen a couple of suggestions over on BGG on how to improve on this; but wondered what the preferred variants of people on the board here are?

Leeroy_Jenkins
2007-08-07, 10:50 PM
I've already seen a couple of suggestions over on BGG on how to improve on this; but wondered what the preferred variants of people on the board here are?

I played over the weekend and consensus was the game was too long (especially for people who had never played before, and didn't know the rules).

To speed things up, we agreed that the liar would be on the third level (not after it), and to dispense with the loot/schtick prereqs to entering. The final battle was kinda anticlimatic, but at that point, folks just wanted to count points and declare a winner.