PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next A spell to mess with other caster's (PEACH)

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-10-01, 09:26 PM
Was noting there was a severe lack of 1st level spells that have a spell attack roll with them, so now I'm trying to brew some up to add more options. So hopefully this will be the start of something glorious. Anyway, without further ado, i present:

Thoughtseize
1st Level Enchantment
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
With a touch you rend the very thoughts of a creature you try to touch. Make a melee spell attack against the target. On a hit the creature takes 3d6 points of psychic damage as its thoughts are sundered. If the creature makes a saving throw to maintain its concentration because of this spells damage, the saving throw is made with disadvantage. Additionally the creature must make an Intelligence saving throw. On a failed save the creature struggles to collect its thoughts. For the duration the creature struggles to use its concentration and all saving throws the targets makes to maintain concentration are done with disadvantage.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

EDIT: changed school and level to be what was intended.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-01, 09:31 PM
An Evocation spell that does psychic damage is kind of spooky but other then that I like it.

Though making a melee spell attack against another spell caster is kind of difficult in combat I think.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-10-01, 10:00 PM
Oops, mistakes were made, Adjustments made to OP to match intent. Still in line with damage of Dissonant whispers.

JeenLeen
2016-10-01, 10:14 PM
Sounds pretty cool to me. I could see this working well with Eldritch Knight (though less available since Enchantment), Arcane Trickster (Enchantment-check), or some other caster that is in melee fairly regularly. Going with PapQuackers, I don't see it being used by primary spellcasters that often.

Is this for any spellcasters in particular? Feels wizard/sorcerer/warlock to me, though I could see bard as well.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-10-01, 10:19 PM
Sounds pretty cool to me. I could see this working well with Eldritch Knight (though less available since Enchantment), Arcane Trickster (Enchantment-check), or some other caster that is in melee fairly regularly. Going with PapQuackers, I don't see it being used by primary spellcasters that often.

Is this for any spellcasters in particular? Feels wizard/sorcerer/warlock to me, though I could see bard as well.

For published classes I would add it to the Bard, Sorcer, Warlock, and Wizard spell lists. If someone wanted it and had reason to use it, I might let them pick this up with downtime and training to be added to their specific spell list.

I designed it to accompany my Duskblade (https://goo.gl/uuidyr) class. The thread for it is in the forum.

I was originally going with the idea of forcing the Int save to avoid losing every spell they tried to cast a spell, but that felt more like a higher level spell or class feature than anything.