PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monastic tradition - Way of Peace

WrittenInBlood
2016-10-02, 05:30 AM
The Art of Peace is medicine for a sick world. There is evil and disorder in the world because people have forgotten that all things emanate from one source. Return to that source and leave behind all self-centered thoughts, petty desires, and anger. Those who are possessed by nothing possess everything.

As an aikido practitioner since quite a time, implementing it in various RPGs was always interesting for me. Pacifist monk is also a popular trope, however poorly executed in D&D 3.5 (by means of Wov of non-violence), and lacking in 5e - Open Hand is not sufficent, since to be really "pacifist" one must refreain from using a lot of class features. So my version focuses on mobility and battlefield control instead of rewarding non-damaging. Hope you’ll like it from gaming perspective, and if any fellow aikido students in the Playground will find this model fitting, then I’ve achieved my goal here.
The quotes come from the Art of Peace by Morihei Ueshiba, translated by John Stevens. You can read more here (http://omlc.org/aikido/talk/osensei/artofpeace/index.html).

Art of peace (3rd)
If your heart is large enough to envelop your adversaries, you can see right through them and avoid their attacks. And once you envelop them, you will be able to guide them along the path indicated to you by heaven and earth.
-
You can use Dexterity instead of Strength in grapple checks. In addition, whenever you successfully grapple a creature, you can spend 1 ki point to impose one of the following effects on the target:

it must succeed on Constitution saving throw or be disarmed
it must succeed on Strength saving throw or be moved to another space adjacent to you
it must succeed on Dexterity saving throw or be Incapacitated until the start of your next turn, or until grapple ends.

Nonresistance (6th)
The Art of Peace is the principle of nonresistance. Because it is nonresistant, it is victorious from the beginning. Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing.
-
As a reaction to being hit with a melee weapon attack, you can spend 2 ki point to change attacker's Strength attack bonus into penalty, possibly causing it to miss. You can do so after the creature rolls but before any effects of the roll occur.

Return to the source (11th)
When an opponent comes forward, move in and greet him; if he wants to pull back, send him on his way.
-
Whenever you are allowed to make an unarmed strike, you can attempt a grapple instead. Also, when you release a target form grapple, it is pushed 5ft away from you and must make a Dexterity saving throw to avoid being knocked prone.

Smooth flow of the water (17th)
The essence of the Art of Peace is to cleanse yourself of maliciousness, to get in tune with your environment, and to clear your path of all obstacles and barriers.
-
Taking the Dodge action grants you also benefits of taking Dash action, and vice versa.

Do not fail
To learn from
The pure voice of an
Ever-flowing mountain stream
Splashing over the rocks.

Grayfigure
2016-10-02, 07:59 AM
At first glance, this seems a little underpowered, but as I began to ask myself why that was, I really couldn't answer that. There is some very subtle stuff going on here. The only thing that jumps out at me is Nonresistance. Since it specifically says Strength attack bonus, I would guess that it does not work against creatures/beings that us Dex as their attack bonus? (I state this, fully realizing that 90% of most enemies you face in DnD use Strength as their attack bonus).

Other than that, I say this: im not exactly an expert in balancing Homebrew but I have to say this 'feels' really good. Can't wait to see this evolve!

Quintus Vorenus
2016-10-10, 08:54 AM
I agree with the above, this could use some more Omphhh!!