PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A couple of alignment-related questions

Jon_Dahl
2016-10-02, 05:34 AM
First question:
I have a powerful dragon who is an NPC in my campaign. His sister's (an ancient half-dragon, about to die from old age) Ring of Three Wishes was stolen a long time ago, and the PCs found out that the culprit was a powerful wizard. The PCs refused to do anything about it, leaving it all up to the dragon. The authorities refuse to take any action against the dragon, especially since there is not enough evidence. The sister, however, has confirmed that it was this was the man who stole the ring. The dragon has vowed to get the ring back and he knows where the wizard lives. No one is willing to help him in anyway, including the PCs. What should he do?
Edit: I forgot to mention that it's a gold dragon.

Second question:
You were a successful adventurer. You are famous since you killed many evil monsters and did lots of good in the world when your group was still active. Your status as a role model is vital to you. One day you hear that someone is using the same name for his adventurer party as you and your comrades did, but this guy is letting his comrades die all the time. Whenever he finds new adventurer companions, they die pretty fast under suspicious circumstances. Suddenly your legacy is starting fade and the party name which you and your friends used back in the day now means "the group of death", since everyone in that group dies a horrible death pretty fast. You send a formal letter to the man asking him to stop this nonsense, but your request is ignored and more people die. You decide to face him, ask him to stop right now and if he refuses, you will kill him. You decide to try to avoid killing his friends. What is your alignment?

Zanos
2016-10-02, 05:44 AM
The Dragon
Has he tried asking the wizard to help him? As a powerful dragon, I'm sure there's something he could barter with to get the ring back, either goods or services. In the same line, as he tried offering goods or services in exchange for someone helping him?

Failing those, has he tried just stealing it back himself?

Retired Adventurer
A single act does not define someone's alignment. Based on the backstory, the character lived a life of destroying Evil and promoting Good. As to the main tarnishing your name, killing him is Evil without further information. He could simply be an incompetent leader, rather than malicious. Murdering him to preserve your legacy is fairly Evil.

Jon_Dahl
2016-10-02, 05:53 AM
The Dragon
Has he tried asking the wizard to help him? As a powerful dragon, I'm sure there's something he could barter with to get the ring back, either goods or services. In the same line, as he tried offering goods or services in exchange for someone helping him?

Failing those, has he tried just stealing it back himself?

The wizard has already consumed the wishes, so the ring is gone, but he won't admit that under any circumstances. Everyone is too afraid of the wizard to make a deal with the dragon. He hasn't tried stealing it back, and it wouldn't even work, since there is no ring anymore.

Zanos
2016-10-02, 06:07 AM
He hasn't tried stealing it back, and it wouldn't even work, since there is no ring anymore.
For what it's worth, a spent Ring of Three Wishes still exists, it's simply nonmagical. If the ring is truly gone, no plan that does not involve time travel would actually work. If the Dragon puts a lot of weight on the promise, he's likely to employee his own abilities in attempting to get the ring back, since presumably he is not aware of it being used. If his alignment is less than Good, he might force people to help him, either with dominaton spells or regular intimidaton.

Name1
2016-10-02, 11:11 AM
I'd say the adventurer is LE. Evil because he kills to protect his name and nothing else, lawful because he tried to get it solved the legal way with a cease&desist before he took action.

Darth Ultron
2016-10-02, 11:28 AM
1.The gold dragon should have protected the ring better, but it is gone now. The gold dragon can't get it back...so maybe they can just go find another one? Or just let it go?

2.This character is not good, if they will kill over a name. Sure they don't ''like'' someone using the old group name, but it is not like they own the name anyway. A good person would just make it clear that ''I have nothing to do with the reboot'' and then make sure everyone knows the old stories. They don't know if new leader is evil, right? He could just be a bad leader. It might be a good idea to spread the word about him too.

Karl Aegis
2016-10-02, 12:06 PM
Your sister failed to defend her hoard. Have you tried laughing at her? If that fails, you can always turn into a mole or something and dig up the wizard's lawn.

You're retired. The dice will kill these guys eventually. If they don't, you got a conspiracy to stop. It's time to get back into the game and fight some goons. You don't get to high levels without suspecting anyone.