PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Skyrim Illusion Assassin to D&D

blade777
2016-10-02, 08:07 AM
Hi, I think the title is obvious.

I was playing Skyrim as a melee Illusion Assassin with the Sneak, Illusion and One-Handed Perks and I thought "How can I do this in d&d".

My knowledge of d&d classes and builds is very poor but some classes just pop up on my head like: Rogue, Beguiler, Assassin, Arcane Trickster and Swashbuckler. But I really don't know how to build something like this.

The basic idea is a melee rogue character skilled in combat and stealth with a package of illusions and emotion altering magic. (for those who did not play Skyrim Illusion mainly changes the target emotions making it Angry, Calm, Scared or Brave.)

In my group we are using D&D3.5 + Pathfinder. And we have normal (lvl20) and E6 games, so ideas to make this work in both types of game are welcome.

Well, thats all, thanks for your help and sorry for my English, it is not my main language so, any tip improving it is also welcome.

Inevitability
2016-10-02, 08:15 AM
Rogue 4/beguiler 1/Unseen Seer 10/Arcane Trickster 5? 8th-level arcane spells, including most illusions and enchantments, as well as great skills and respectable melee ability. The only problem is getting Mage Hand, but Extra Spell will take care of that.

blade777
2016-10-02, 08:30 AM
Wow, that was fast. Didn't know Unseen Seer, it's flavor and abilities are basically what I wanted. Thank you. :smallbiggrin:

Well, checking the Pathfinder Rogue, one of it's variants (the Street Magician) gives me one 0th lvl Wizard/Sorcerer spell at lvl 1 and another at lvl 2. So I can have Mage hand there at the price of Trap Finding(which I get from Beguiler anyway) and U dodge/I U dodge.

But I didn't count bad I can go Rogue 3/Beguiler 1/Something Extra 1/Unseen Seer 10/Arcane Trickster 5

Fizban
2016-10-02, 10:20 AM
That should work, yes, just make it Street Mag Rogue 3/Beguiler 2 into Unseen Seer, no reason to delay casting when you don't need to. That build is perfect example of what happens when they print two perfect "theurges": no lost caster levels except Rogue, if it weren't for Beguiler you'd hit 9th level spells (and you only need one more level to get them, so you'd hit Epic Spellcasting on time anyway). You might as well just let people gestalt at level-3 at that point. And that street magician ACF does an excellent job of not arguing about Extra Spell.

I'd like to make other suggestions like Psychic Rogue or something, but you're not gonna get better than Beguiler+two perfect sneak/caster theurges. Psionics would make illusion slinging even more freeform, but I don't even think there's one 3.5 sneak/psychic theurge PrC to try and compete, let alone two. Psibond Agent is kindof interesting in a "completely inferior to actual spells/powers" sort of way, but the Psibond is useable at will which is always useful if you want the solo RPG character (who never stops to rest or do anything normal, just adventures constantly).

Here's a funny bit: in Skyrim it's ridiculously hard to use even illusion or other "stealth" spells because casting sets off a light show and spell projectiles attract attention even if they miss. This is modeled pretty well in DnD: normal spellcasting is loud and obvious, and even if you cast an undetectable spell from hiding it's extremely unlikely that spell actually says that targets are unaware of their successful or even failed saving throws.

Emperor Tippy
2016-10-02, 10:48 AM
Let's see, Gestalt first (and in order that the levels should be taken).

Factotum 1/ Invisible Fist Decisive Strike Martial Monk 2/ Factotum 7/ Mindbender 1/ Factotum 9// Rogue 1/ Ardent 1/ Swashbuckler 3/ Swordsage 1/ Ardent 1/ Psychic Assassin 8/ Swordsage 5

Take Practiced Manifester before you take your second level of Ardent so that you take it with a Manifester level of 5. That lets you manifest third level powers (and gives you an ML of 10, with a max of 5th level powers when you finish off Psychic Assassin) at ECL 7, which isn't bad for a gish.

---
Now non gestalt. Factotum 1/ Invisible Fist Decisive Strike Martial Monk 2/ Factotum 7/ Mindbender 10.

Mindbender isn't the greatest but it fits what you want fairly well and the Factotum/Monk will handle the non casting bits fairly well.

blade777
2017-03-02, 06:30 PM
Sorry if I'm reviving and old post and should had made a new one but. Can this be donde on E6?

I Mean, Rogue 3/ Beguiler 2/ Unseen Seer 1.

Or shuld I choose another path to achieve something like this?

ComaVision
2017-03-02, 06:44 PM
I Mean, Rogue 3/ Beguiler 2/ Unseen Seer 1.

What I don't like about this is that you don't get 2nd level spells, which seems like a huge shame. What I'd do instead is Rogue 1/Psychic Rogue (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) 1/Beguiler 3/Unseen Seer 1.

You lose Evasion but you still have 3d6 Sneak Attack and now 2nd level spells.

blade777
2017-03-02, 06:51 PM
Hey, thanks ComaVision. That was quick. :smallsmile: