PDA

View Full Version : Nondetection vs. Discern Location

Velaryon
2016-10-02, 12:54 PM
Suppose that Person A is wearing an item that grants a continuous nondetection effect. I'm pretty sure such an item exists in the Magic Item Compendium, but I'm away from books at the moment and cannot look up the name.

Person B uses a scroll of discern location to try and find Person A. Which effect "wins" in this contest?

Furthermore, if nondetection can defeat discern location, then is there another divination spell that can trump nondetection? Or on the other hand, if discern location can find someone protected by nondetection, is there a greater spell that can hide from discern location?

Thanks.

Necroticplague
2016-10-02, 01:06 PM
Discern Location wins. Is specifically circumvents normal protections against scrying or location, which would include Nondetection. It says nothing short of Mind Blank can stop it. Given Mind Blank is 8th level, and nondetection is only 3rd, its far from being in excess of mind blank.

Name1
2016-10-02, 01:06 PM
It goes locate creature < nondetection < discern location < mind blank < metafaculty as far as I know.

Velaryon
2016-10-04, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think nondetection was perhaps not the spell I meant to ask about, since it's only 3rd level.

Is mind blank then the only spell that will foil discern location?