PDA

View Full Version : Combining Magical Effects

Giant2005
2016-10-02, 09:31 PM
Here is the actual rule in question:

The effects of different spells add together while the durations of those spells overlap. The effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine, however. Instead, the most potent effect - such as the highest bonus - from those castings applies while their durations overlap.
For example, if two clerics cast bless on the same target, that character gains the spell’s benefit only once; he or she doesn’t get to roll two bonus dice.

Now it is pretty clear that rule was made in order to prevent buff and debuff stacking, but how does it interact with two instances of spells like Spirit Guardians or Flaming Sphere? At the end of a creatures turn, if it is in range of two Flaming Spheres, does it take damage from both or just one?
So how do you think that rule works regarding damage spells RAW, RAI, and how would you rule it personally?

Gastronomie
2016-10-02, 10:04 PM
I actually have not used this rule ever, but I honestly think it's unrequired unless it's a spell like Mirror Image that can be re-cast again and again, or a spell like Bless that can be synergetic with multiple castings of itself (since it also improves concentration saves).

For damage, I think it can be ignored without making any option really overpowered.

Safety Sword
2016-10-02, 10:18 PM
I started typing my response and then suddenly realised that I was changing my mind about it as I was typing...

RAW: Since the effect of the spell isn't put on on the creature I don't think the stacking rules apply.

RAI: I think the intention matches the RAW. It just doesn't apply to the particular spells you've pointed at.

Ruling: The spell effects individually apply to the creature as in the spell description.

NNescio
2016-10-02, 10:31 PM
I started typing my response and then suddenly realised that I was changing my mind about it as I was typing...

RAW: Since the effect of the spell isn't put on on the creature I don't think the stacking rules apply.

RAI: I think the intention matches the RAW. It just doesn't apply to the particular spells you've pointed at.

Ruling: The spell effects individually apply to the creature as in the spell description.

DMG errata has another rule with regard to combining game effects (including spells):

Combining Game Effects (p. 252).
This is a new subsection at the end of the “Combat” section: “Different game features can
affect a target at the same time. But when two or more game features have the same name, only the effects of one of them—the most potent one—apply while the durations of the effects overlap.
For example, if a target is ignited by a fire elemental’s Fire Form trait, the ongoing fire damage doesn’t increase if the burning target is subjected to that trait again. Game features include spells, class features, feats, racial traits, monster abilities, and magic items. See the related rule in the ‘Combining Magical Effects’ section of chapter 10 in the Player’s Handbook.”

This is intended to prevent DoT stacking and things like Paladin aura stacking (which were not forbidden before the errata). The bolded wording applies to overlapping spells with the same name as well (if the damage triggers on the same tick, such as at the end of an affected creature turn.).

Safety Sword
2016-10-02, 11:06 PM
DMG errata has another rule with regard to combining game effects (including spells):

This is intended to prevent DoT stacking and things like Paladin aura stacking (which were not forbidden before the errata). The bolded wording applies to overlapping spells with the same name as well (if the damage triggers on the same tick, such as at the end of an affected creature turn.).

I'll admit I missed that one :smallbiggrin:

The errata wins again.

Plaguescarred
2016-10-03, 04:09 AM
how does it interact with two instances of spells like Spirit Guardians or Flaming Sphere? At the end of a creatures turn, if it is in range of two Flaming Spheres, does it take damage from both or just one?Only once i believe since only the most potent effect of the same spell cast multiple times apply while overlapping. So multiple flaming sphere shouldn't make their overlapping area any more hot than a single one is for exemple.

Giant2005
2016-10-03, 05:10 AM
Only once i believe since only the most potent effect of the same spell cast multiple times apply while overlapping. So multiple flaming sphere shouldn't make their overlapping area any more hot than a single one is for exemple.

Just to clarify, that isn't exactly what I was talking about (not in the case of Flaming Sphere at least). Regarding FS, I was more referring to someone standing next two, but inbetween two different Flaming Spheres. The Flaming Spheres themselves never come into contact with one another, but if possible the victim would be effected by two instances at the exact same moment.

Plaguescarred
2016-10-03, 05:26 AM
Only the most potent effect of two flaming sphere should affect you if any one can. So if a creature is standing in an area that would deal damage from any of the two spheres, you shouldn't combine their effect.

Safety Sword
2016-10-03, 04:02 PM
Only the most potent effect of two flaming sphere should affect you if any one can. So if a creature is standing in an area that would deal damage from any of the two spheres, you shouldn't combine their effect.

When you count the DMG errata in your game then this appears to be the correct interpretation. Without it (just using the text in the PHB) I would play it differently.

CursedRhubarb
2016-10-03, 05:01 PM
So in the case of the Flaming Sphere Sammich, sounds like you would roll your save at the end of your turn either against both and if you fail both, the highest damage one hits. Or you will only roll vs the one with highest DC.
But on each turn for the caster, they can each ram it into you and you will have to roll on both since it will be separate turns for that.

Vogonjeltz
2016-10-04, 02:40 PM
Now it is pretty clear that rule was made in order to prevent buff and debuff stacking, but how does it interact with two instances of spells like Spirit Guardians or Flaming Sphere? At the end of a creatures turn, if it is in range of two Flaming Spheres, does it take damage from both or just one?
So how do you think that rule works regarding damage spells RAW, RAI, and how would you rule it personally?

It says the same spell twice only applies the greater effect.

Just to clarify, that isn't exactly what I was talking about (not in the case of Flaming Sphere at least). Regarding FS, I was more referring to someone standing next two, but inbetween two different Flaming Spheres. The Flaming Spheres themselves never come into contact with one another, but if possible the victim would be effected by two instances at the exact same moment.\

They'd both be overlapping the target that's what counts. Ergo, only the greater applies per the rule you yourself stated.