PDA

View Full Version : F.E.A.R. Campaign: How would YOU run it?

blackout
2007-07-10, 10:30 AM
Ok, my DM is thinking of running a F.E.A.R. campaign after we're done with the Halo one.

SO, my DM is coming to the board with a very simple question: How would YOU run it?

Answer away, ladies and gentlemen.

B!shop
2007-07-10, 10:38 AM
My 2 cents are for WoD rules.

I see it's storytelling system more versatile for a campaign that's heavily based on thrill and the action isn't a priority. Even if the game is a FPS.

Halo (that you said you based an earlier campaign) is a lot more action based.

blackout
2007-07-10, 10:46 AM
Well, FEAR has alot of action, too. I mean, have you forgotten the various battlearmor suits, replica soldiers, hallucinations, replica soldiers, demons, replica soldiers, and Alma?...and replica soldiers.

HidaTsuzua
2007-07-10, 10:48 AM
I've forgotten how much in the way of special powers you get in FEAR. Either way, I suggest the Hero System with some help from Dark Champions. Gives you flexibility in character design (if you want to give someone a special ability, make it!), can be lethal if designed right (keep defenses down), and has the presence attack mechanic. Presence attacks can be done as a free action and basically represent fear, awe, or other extreme emotion one can inflict on people. It's resisted by your Ego or Presence score. Exceed a certain amount and people lose actions or even surrender (or collapse in fear). It'll be good for dealing with mooks and when you want scary monsters. It'll help explain why so many people set around and get pwned by the creatures.

I wouldn't suggest Hero if you want to play "mow down waves and waves of mooks." However if you want fewer more eventful encounters, Hero is the way to go.

blackout
2007-07-10, 10:59 AM
...You get...reflexes. Really awesome reflexes.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-10, 11:11 AM
and a quick save/ quick load button :smallwink:

it's a special power.

Piccamo
2007-07-10, 11:13 AM
I think I would use either d20 Modern or True20. It seems as though your group changes campaigns fairly often.

blackout
2007-07-10, 11:14 AM
We do. We die too often, the group decides to switch to another campaign eventually, and we die in that one alot. :smallbiggrin:

Morgan_Scott82
2007-07-10, 11:30 AM
For F.E.A.R, we'd have to invent a new system one in which Assault and Recon have the same meaning, I mean honestly First Encounter Assault Recon, give me a break that's a totally nonsensical zany title.
:smallbiggrin:

Ok with that out of my system I would recommend GURPS.

blackout
2007-07-10, 11:34 AM
:smallconfused: What is this GURPS of which you speak?

Kurald Galain
2007-07-10, 11:38 AM
Just so no two people in this thread make the same suggestion, let me offer you TORG as a great system for cinematic heroics.

HotSake
2007-07-10, 01:04 PM
Shadowrun, 'nuff said. Or SilCORE. SilCORE can do anything.

2007-07-10, 01:08 PM
I'd say Shadowrun too.

MAYBE Call of Cthulhu d20. But really modern would work fine. All that FEAR really was was shooting people and robots. All the supernatural stuff was in your head.

Alex Knight
2007-07-10, 01:16 PM
Just so no two people in this thread make the same suggestion, let me offer you TORG as a great system for cinematic heroics.

Somebody else remembers TORG? Holy buckets, I thought I was the only one!

blackout
2007-07-10, 08:59 PM
My DM says thank you, he's going with theSilCORE system for this campaign.

The campaign's going to involve us(new recruits for F.E.A.R.) going on various missions.

First mission? Possessed toaster-oven.

You read me. A freakin' toaster-oven.

Demented
2007-07-10, 11:20 PM
Great. A toaster. I wonder how you tell if a toaster is possessed...

SurlySeraph
2007-07-11, 12:15 AM
Well, if you're starting at a low level/ low amount of power, a toaster oven is a worthy foe. As long as it doesn't end up as the BBEG.

Dairun Cates
2007-07-11, 12:43 AM
Find Paranoia XP. Read up on the Straight campaigns. Lessen the player on player killing. Increase the level of the world being out to get them. That should do fine and dandy.

Paranoia was MADE for those kinds of campaigns. Other than that, Cthulu is a good idea, although it might be a little low power for the players for a FEAR campaign.

blackout
2007-07-11, 07:41 AM
Great. A toaster. I wonder how you tell if a toaster is possessed...

When it starts spouting nonsense. The thing doesn't even attack, all it does is shout at ya.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-07-11, 10:58 AM
Does it make Fiendish Toast?

talsine
2007-07-11, 11:43 AM
Shadowrun, 'nuff said. Or SilCORE. SilCORE can do anything.

whats SilCORE?