PDA

View Full Version : is there an item that I could use to cast Permanency with?

dehro
2016-10-03, 09:11 AM
Bard 10/Sublime chord 18..
I'd like to cast permanency a bunch of times on such things as see the invisible, tongues, etc etc..
Once I'd done that, I wouldn't have much use for it any longer... so I don't want to learn the spell (also, I'd have to wait for the 20th level to swap it in, and the 22th to swap it out, which is just stupid..)
dedicated feats (extra spell?) or class dips seem too steep a price to pay...
and buying a scroll for each use is also a pain in the butt and a resource drain.. so.. is there an item that I can use to temporarily learn permanency on top of my usual spells? a runestaff maybe? a stone of some kind?
I've been browsing the manuals but can't seem to find anything so specific.
final resource, what would a wand of permanency cost? (with a full number of charges so that I can sell it off once I'm done with the spells I want to render permanent on my character).

thanks for the help

Necroticplague
2016-10-03, 09:30 AM
Knowstones can add it as a spell known, and you can sell off the Stone once you're done.

Not that Permanency might be handy to have even after you've used it, in case of dispels (to either permanency itself, or the spell effected by it).

dehro
2016-10-03, 09:36 AM
Knowstones can add it as a spell known, and you can sell off the Stone once you're done.

Not that Permanency might be handy to have even after you've used it, in case of dispels (to either permanency itself, or the spell effected by it).

that is true.. knowstones.. uhm.. would that be in the MIC?

Crake
2016-10-03, 11:37 AM
that is true.. knowstones.. uhm.. would that be in the MIC?

Dragon Magazine 333

Honestly, a custom runestaff should do it perfectly fine. 1/day permanency runestaff (you can make it it's own item, or just put it on an existing runestaff) would cost a measly 5,000gp, or an extra 2,500 gp to put on a runestaff that as at least a 6th level spell on it (there's no limit on the number of spells you can have on a runestaff, so there's no reason not to). 2/day would be 7,500, or 3,750, and 3/day would be 10,000 or 5,000, so pretty trivial money for an epic level character.

Name1
2016-10-03, 08:41 PM
Dragon Magazine 333

Honestly, a custom runestaff should do it perfectly fine. 1/day permanency runestaff (you can make it it's own item, or just put it on an existing runestaff) would cost a measly 5,000gp, or an extra 2,500 gp to put on a runestaff that as at least a 6th level spell on it (there's no limit on the number of spells you can have on a runestaff, so there's no reason not to). 2/day would be 7,500, or 3,750, and 3/day would be 10,000 or 5,000, so pretty trivial money for an epic level character.

Wouldn't you still need to include the XP costs of Permanency when making the item?

Eisfalken
2016-10-04, 06:10 AM
Just get a runestaff, man. Magic Item Compendium, fully legal. Only works 3/day, but seriously, that's most of your slots at that level anyway, so... yeah, not actually much of a drawback.

You need to keep it. Permanency, it can be dispelled, and it's permanently gone once someone hits you with a (greater) dispel magic and you fail the save. So... you just keep the runestaff in reserve and do it again, to the vexation of your enemies!

Get a runestaff with permanency, maybe contingency, fabricate, and anything else that's a case of "I want to do something in downtime that is useful". Heck, if you're actually 28th level, build up your spellcasting until you can do five 9th-level spells, and throw wish on a runestaff; now you just burn XP and spell slots for +5 inherent bonuses.

Runestaffs are to high-level magic what eternal wands are for the low-level stuff: a way to get spells without needing to learn/memorize them.

Eisfalken
2016-10-04, 06:13 AM
Wouldn't you still need to include the XP costs of Permanency when making the item?

No, because you burn the XP when you cast the spell out of the runestaff, not when you make the thing.

Crake
2016-10-04, 08:27 AM
No, because you burn the XP when you cast the spell out of the runestaff, not when you make the thing.

Yes, correct. Runestaves are not spell trigger or spell completion items, nor do they produce any tangible effect on their own. They simply enable a spellcaster to cast the spells themselves, and the spellcaster must still provide any components necessary to cast the spell. Think of them as 1-3/day knowstones rather than like actual staves (which are basically supercharged wands).

Âmesang
2016-10-04, 08:49 AM
As a sublime chord wouldn't limited wish be a viable option, being that it can replicate permanency in full?

dehro
2016-10-04, 11:10 AM
yah... except I have dimensional lock and mind blank as 8th level spells learned.
I figured it would be cheaper to add a 5th level spell than an 8th level spell to my arsenal, however temporarily.
so.. knowstone is from a source that would be highly questioned (we tend to not use dragon magazine stuff unless it's unavoidable, and this falls under the "you dug that up from god knows where, it's still got maggots attached to it" category)
is there a runestaff that carries Permanency, or should I request a custom made one?

Douglas
2016-10-04, 12:13 PM
yah... except I have dimensional lock and mind blank as 8th level spells learned.
I figured it would be cheaper to add a 5th level spell than an 8th level spell to my arsenal, however temporarily.
Limited Wish is 7th level.

dehro
2016-10-04, 05:48 PM
Limited Wish is 7th level.

And it's actually on my spelllist too.
I'm an idiot.
That's what you get for losing your character sheet and having to put it back together from a partially filled out draft