PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bloodhound (Martial Archetype for bounty hunters and sleuths)

Secret Wizard
2016-10-03, 12:01 PM
Here is the Bloodhound, a Fighter martial archetype based on being a relentless investigator. (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkmY-C-eC)

Any feedback? I put this together rather hastily.

My main design concern about the martial archetype here is the Sleuth ability - it doesn't necessarily jam with the rest. I don't want just granting extra proficiencies because I feel there are a lot of WIS friendly character options and not enough INT friendly ones.

Any ideas?

Secret Wizard
2016-10-05, 06:17 PM
Would love an opinion on the 3rd level of this class and whether the damage is enough!

clash
2016-10-06, 10:59 AM
So comparing to battle master, precision strike at d8 is about +4.5 4 attacks per short rest. You can choose it after making the roll and have versatility for when you do it and other options as well. It increases to 5 times at level 7 and 6 times at level 15 + an additional 2 times from relentless = 8 and the bonus becomes 5.5 at level 10 and 6.5 at level 18.

In comparison your features adds ~5 to attack rolls during action surge without the versatility. What this adds is 2 at level 3, 4 at level 5, 6 at level and 8 times at level 17 and 16 times at level 18. So you get twice as many uses overall but lose all your versatility and cant really pick when to apply them. It also doesn't increase the bonus but instead adds possible dmg at level 15. I'm not sure on the math on this one but if half of the secondary attacks would have hit that's an average of an extra 3 dmg per hit which is equivalent (by wotc terms) to an extra 1.5 to hit bringing your average bonus up to 6.5 bonus making it roughly equal to precision strike.

So in the end you trade versatility for more uses. I would say it is pretty balanced. My one concern is that it could run into champion fighter syndrome as the subclass grants no renewable resources to manage. However it does encourage grappling and other strategies but it still might get a little repetitive in combat.

StarvingGamer
2016-10-07, 11:20 PM
You seem to be stacking a lot of bonuses on your grappling which, as you add them up, makes you kind of a nightmare to fight against. The Grappler feat is a no-brainer and at that point you just get on a person and the just die. Bonus action grapple a huge monster then pin it and what... it just rolls over and gets got right? Like you can on your first action to completely neuter a Balor or an Adult Dragon which seems... excessive? I feel like grappling a creature 2 sizes larger than you should require a little more commitment, like maybe the entirety of your action? If you're grappling an Adult Dragon there must be some ropes involved.

I love the theme but becoming extremely good at a single thing might make that thing a bit too good.