PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed creating a staff

lylsyly
2016-10-03, 12:42 PM
I would like to create a staff for a conjurer I am working up.

First is to make the staff both a ranged and melee weapon, something like fires arrows/force/energy/sonic bolts out one end for a ranged attack plus the normal 1d6/1d6 of a quarterstaff with and added 1d6 of energy/force/sonic damage when used for melee.

Second is as an aid to the conjurer's summoned monsters in the form of added HD, 1 added monster, things of that nature.

Third is to be able to afford the bloody thing as early as possible.

Any Thoughts/suggestions/criticisms appreciated ;)

Venger
2016-10-03, 12:54 PM
I would like to create a staff for a conjurer I am working up.

First is to make the staff both a ranged and melee weapon, something like fires arrows/force/energy/sonic bolts out one end for a ranged attack plus the normal 1d6/1d6 of a quarterstaff with and added 1d6 of energy/force/sonic damage when used for melee.

Second is as an aid to the conjurer's summoned monsters in the form of added HD, 1 added monster, things of that nature.

Third is to be able to afford the bloody thing as early as possible.

Any Thoughts/suggestions/criticisms appreciated ;)

1) this is doable with a runestaff, the rules for crafting are given in the magic item compendium
2) as above
3) the formula given is dependent on what spells you'd like in there, so you can probably afford it relatively early

runestaves basically work like custom wands. you'll pick a handful of spells that share a loose thematic similarity under the approval of your gm and can cast them a couple of times a day.

Vizzerdrix
2016-10-03, 01:08 PM
The first is easy. Either wand chambers, or use the spike shooter weapon addition from one of the faerun books. You may also be able to put an alchemical sprayer on the staff, but those arent that great.

ALL of those may even work together. Hmm...

Tough. Your best bet will be to find a similar item or two, and kitbash the effects onto your staff. That should at least get you a ballpark price.

Easy peasy. An artificer buddy, or ancestrial realic can get you there for the cheap. Just dont ask the DM for a price value on the BBEGs castle. You can also use item familiar, but that is even too cheesy for me.

khadgar567
2016-10-03, 01:32 PM
what books are on table cuz if pathfinder is available you can use spheres of power and create just the way you want it will cost you 18,000 gp to create shoting want with optional summoned creature as your backup

lylsyly
2016-10-03, 01:54 PM
what books are on table cuz if pathfinder is available you can use spheres of power and create just the way you want it will cost you 18,000 gp to create shoting want with optional summoned creature as your backup

No Pathfinder, but among the group we have every 3.0/3.5 book except: 3.0 - Psionics Handbook - 3.5 - Sons of Gruumsh, Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave, Sinister Spire, City of Stormreach.

I am going thru books right now looking at Sonic stuff, seems like I have read several times that most enemies aren't going to have save bonuses/resistances ect. to Sonics so I am looking for items/spells that deal sonic damage. Now that I think about it, perhaps I can find a type that will have the effect of knocking back an opponent on a successful melee hit, hmmm...

Ah well, dig, dig, dig....

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-03, 02:26 PM
It's not a quarterstaff, but ethergaunts use etherblades, which are basically 1d10 'short glaives', which also have a (nonmagical!) 1d6 ray of force attack, 50 charges for 800 gp (no recharge, sadly). You can use that as template - changing the base weapon to a quarterstaff should be as simple as replacing the blade with more pole. If you want a permanent ray attack, triple the price, make it masterwork, and so on. Then, to add the summoning functionality, price it as a bonus feat, equivalent to Augment Summons and the like, which should be around 10 000 gp (normally a bit more, because of the prerequisite feat, but it's not like you couldn't get it from a domain, or something).

Total price works out around 13 000 gp for:
- A masterwork/masterwork quarterstaff
- A a permanent, nonmagical, 40' increment, 1d6 force damage, ranged touch attack*
- Augment Summons, or equivalent bonus

Should be reasonably affordable by level 8.

*It doesn't say how many increments you get, so I'd guess it defaults to one, but five would be plenty fair.

lylsyly
2016-10-03, 03:04 PM
Found the two basic effects I am looking for:

Sound Lance (Savage Species, p. 70) Sound lance causes a projectile of intense sonic energy sound to leap unerringly from you to a target within range. The sound does 1d6 points of sonic damage per caster level, to a maximum of 10d6. The sound lance strikes unerringly, unless the target has total cover or total concealment

Sonic Weapon (Complete Adventurer, p. 157) This spell temporarily sheathes a weapon in sonic energy. While the spell is in effect, the affected weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of sonic damage with each successful attack. The sonic energy does not harm the weapon's wielder. Bows, crossbows, and slings that are affected by this spell bestow the sonic energy upon their ammunition.

I like the Savage Species Version of Sound Lance best. The 3.5 version (Spell Compendium, p. 196) does 1d8 per caster level BUT DOES NOT state that it strikes it's target Unerringly

Looked at G'elsewhere Chant from the spell compendium as a knockback effect but it says it teleports them to a SAFE location. Meh. Still looking for this one..... Might have to drop the idea anyway to keep the cost down

ExLibrisMortis: definitely don't want charges, off course I may have to trade that off to keep the cost down, I want to get the staff into the characters hand as early as possible. (for my next character, not currently playing this one).