PDA

View Full Version : Bracers of armor and Unarmored defense

j_spencer93
2016-10-03, 02:34 PM
How do these not stack? Have seen it said several times that they do not, yet in not way do they conflict with the Raw of the class ability.

Aembrosia
2016-10-03, 02:40 PM
Never heard that before. Patiently waiting for someone to come defend it, right or wrong, so i can anonymously snicker at them.

Willie the Duck
2016-10-03, 02:45 PM
Are you sure that that is what you saw? Unarmored defense refines the way you set your base AC, and then bracers of armor give you a specific bonus , so they should work together (unless there is something I don't known).

Other effects do not work together, such as unarmored defense and mage armor (as specifically called out in this Sage Advice (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-january-2016)). Could you have seen that instead, and be conflating the two?

BRC
2016-10-03, 02:47 PM
I'm pretty sure they stack? 5e is pretty good about what does or does not stack, simply by having most things change the AC calculation, rather than doing a bunch of different typed bonuses to AC.
You can only have one AC Equation, but unless specifically stated otherwise, you can have any number of the (Pretty rare) numerical bonuses to AC.

j_spencer93
2016-10-03, 02:53 PM
I want to humbly bow out of this lol. I made a huge misreading on the Enworld forum/Mearls ruling. lol Ignore this entire thing. Sorry, working (as in job wise) and trying to build two different campaigns, think i may need to take a break for a minute if i am screwing up this bad.

The ruling in question was for the playtest when the bracers acted differently apparently.