PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Trickster and Mage Hand, why this Cantrip has a problem...

Battlebooze
2016-10-04, 01:35 AM
Mage Hand, the major (fluff?) ability that several of the Arcane Tricksters abilities revolve around has a serious problem. The problem is, it requires Verbal and Somatic components. While the Arcane trickster can make his hand invisible, he still has to openly cast a spell in a way that breaks hiding and would be noticed if used in a public setting. If the spell had a ten minute duration, this might not be a terrible issue, but with a one minute duration, using Mage Hand in a sneaky way is seriously hampered.

Honestly, I'd rather have the Mage Hand be visible with no verbal component than the way it's currently written. As written, The Mage Hand is still useful for disarming traps and for manipulating objects, but it's a pain to use for subtle Slight of Hand since it can't be cast while hidden.

One could always pick up some sorcerer levels to fix this issue, but that's a heavy investment.

Any thoughts?

rollingForInit
2016-10-04, 02:15 AM
It might be a bit house-ruley, but we've always played that cantrips are just very minor to cast. A small word and a small gesture. Becuase it feels appropriate, given that they are minor effects. Yes, someone can still see or hear it, but it's not as if you need to shout it out loud. I'd rule that you could even whisper it. Yes, that could still be heard across an otherwise silent room, but hardly on an open street.

Even if we assume that you gotta do it in a speaking voice, if you're playing in a typical D&D setting (e.g. forgotten realms) no one's going to care if someone casts minor cantrips in the middle of the street. Hell, they might not even notice? Especially if there are no visible effects anyway. I don't think that merchant on the other side of the street, 9 meters away, is going to hear you over the crowd. You could also duck into an alley, or have your allies cover you while you're doing it.

The only place where it might be difficult is if you're very close to an enemy and you're sneaking, and there are no other sounds at all. But, well ... you can move pretty far in a minute. Back off, cast the spell, then move ahead again and use it. If you end up in a situation where you just cannot cast it without being noticed, then that's how it is? There's nothing wrong with some situations preventing certain abilities.

If you do it in a social setting (let's say, a ball), sneak around a pillar or out onto the balcony or something. If someone were to catch you, you're a rogue! Lie. Cast Prestidigitation "again" and explain how you were just renewing your perfume.

Hrugner
2016-10-04, 02:50 AM
Mage hand has a bunch of problems for being related to so many abilities. You need to burn your bonus action every round just to move it fast enough to keep up, and you need to recast it every minute which as you say requires verbal and somatic components. It's a real hassle to keep track of if you happen to be using it in combat. If you're just using it once per cast it isn't too much of a pain, it's just usually a waste of a turn that also gives away your position. I'm not saying it can't be used to good effect, just that I would expect many players to either avoid it or house rule it to be less cumbersome.

Klorox
2016-10-04, 10:16 AM
I like the whisper for verbal, I'd do the same.

Out of combat, I have no problem with an AT saying the spell is just recast once per minute. It's their main schtick!

DivisibleByZero
2016-10-04, 12:23 PM
I see it as a non-issue.
You mutter an arcane phrase, make a strange gesture with your hands, and what happens? An invisible mage hand springs into being.
As far as anyone is concerned, nothing happened and you just look like a weirdo doing weird things.

Klorox
2016-10-04, 12:54 PM
I see it as a non-issue.
You mutter an arcane phrase, make a strange gesture with your hands, and what happens? An invisible mage hand springs into being.
As far as anyone is concerned, nothing happened and you just look like a weirdo doing weird things.

I go through life like this.

DivisibleByZero
2016-10-04, 12:56 PM
I go through life like this.

Yep.
That's why it's a non-issue. It's absolutely par for the course.

ruy343
2016-10-04, 01:13 PM
I would argue that the original casting of mage hand takes verbal components, but that maintaining concentration might not (others might disagree). However, the cantrip's text does say that the hand moves to mimic your hand, so you might require the player to make a sleight of hand roll to prevent themselves from being detected - Perhaps a slight of hand check vs. others' passive perception? Thoughts?

famousringo
2016-10-04, 04:59 PM
A lot of DMs would let you make a Stealth or Deception check to cast a spell without somebody else noticing as long as the spell has no visible effect. This is implied in the latest Sage Advice:

Some spells are so subtle that you might not know you were ever under their effects. A prime example of that sort of spell is suggestion. Assuming you failed to notice the spellcaster casting the spell, you might simply remember the caster saying, “The treasure you’re looking for isn’t here. Go look for it in the room at the top of the next tower.” You failed your saving throw, and off you went to the other tower, thinking it was your idea to go there. You and your companions might deduce that you were beguiled if evidence of the spell is found. It’s ultimately up to the DM whether you discover the presence of inconspicuous spells. Discovery usually comes through the use of skills like Arcana, Investigation, Insight, and Perception or through spells like detect magic.

The nice thing about this is that it gives the skillmonster rogue a good chance of pulling it off, but adds special value to an AT/Sorcerer multiclass in that they can spend a resource to bypass the risk of a check.