PDA

View Full Version : Help making a Samurai in Pathfinder.

DyingNebula
2016-10-04, 02:57 AM
I'm quite new to Pathfinder and I would love to make a Samurai character for my next game, but I really don't like the Samurai class. I was wondering if any of you experienced beauties would be able to help me make Samurai, without the class. I want him to be a Samurai as a character, but I don't want to have be restricted to that awful class.

DyingNebula
2016-10-04, 03:01 AM
I'm quite new to Pathfinder and I would love to make a Samurai character for my next game, but I really don't like the Samurai class. I was wondering if any of you experienced beauties would be able to help me make Samurai, without the class. I want him to be a Samurai as a character, but I don't want to have be restricted to that awful class.

Satinavian
2016-10-04, 03:05 AM
Could you specify what is important for you in a samurai ? Japanese weapons/armor (which ones) ? Social class ? Some Codex ? Anything else ? Which time period ?

Samurai means different things to different people.

DyingNebula
2016-10-04, 03:32 AM
Definitely Eastern weapons (Katana, Wakizashi, Tanto, yumi, etc.)
In this campaign, I will most likely be a lone Samurai in the campaign, so maybe act as a Ronin in honour to the community instead of a Clan or leader but following his own codex.
The Samurai would see honour as a prime trait. Able to strike down his enemies, being a executioner of it.
Respect of those above him and such, humble and would value life (no torture or needless killing.)
If you need anymore, please tell me.
The time period is classic D&D times, Midevilish if you catch my drift.

Knitifine
2016-10-04, 03:36 AM
Hm... Could you explain why the Samurai class doesn't fulfill your fantasy?
If so we might be able to suggest a better class.

HlynkaCG
2016-10-04, 03:41 AM
I'm quite found of the OOTS's choice to model them as stock Paladins. The class itself is reasonably powerful and the whole "Faith and Honor" thing feels like a natural fit. Likewise you can role-play the divine spell effects, as your Ronin invoke the strength and wisdom of their ancestors, or maybe being chi-based.

ETA: Yes I know that chi is more Chinese/Korean but hey we're talking about mystical sword-masters here ;).

DyingNebula
2016-10-04, 03:45 AM
It is too limited in it's use in a fight, with fatal weaknesses and the class doesn't really use anything from its background. It's just a Cavalier who is reskined, a disappointment.

Arkhios
2016-10-04, 03:56 AM
It is too limited in it's use in a fight, with fatal weaknesses and the class doesn't really use anything from its background. It's just a Cavalier who is reskined, a disappointment.

Been a long time I looked into any Pathfinder material but why wouldn't you just be a Cavalier with Ronin order (it can be taken either way, as a Samurai or as a Cavalier). You could still flavor yourself as a samurai, while actually getting somewhat more lenient and maybe even more trustworthy features of Cavalier.

Knitifine
2016-10-04, 03:57 AM
It is too limited in it's use in a fight, with fatal weaknesses and the class doesn't really use anything from its background. It's just a Cavalier who is reskined, a disappointment.Okay, most of that is really vague.
What aspects of a Samurai's background are you looking for to be integrated in the class?

DyingNebula
2016-10-04, 04:01 AM
Okay, most of that is really vague.
What aspects of a Samurai's background are you looking for to be integrated in the class?

The honourable and Warrior ways, but also the respect and the deadly tactics. The pure loyalty and the code that they live by.

Knitifine
2016-10-04, 04:17 AM
The honourable and Warrior ways, but also the respect and the deadly tactics. The pure loyalty and the code that they live by.

Order of the Warrior
Edicts: The samurai must protect the life and lands of his lord with his life. He must be truthful and courageous, respectful to his elders and his masters, and loyal to his friends and liege. He must conduct himself with honor and dignity.

Tactician (Ex)
At 1st level, a cavalier receives a teamwork feat as a bonus feat. He must meet the prerequisites for this feat. As a standard action, the cavalier can grant this feat to all allies within 30 feet who can see and hear him. Allies retain the use of this bonus feat for 3 rounds plus 1 round for every two levels the cavalier possesses. Allies do not need to meet the prerequisites of these bonus feats. The cavalier can use this ability once per day at 1st level, plus one additional time per day at 5th level and for every 5 levels thereafter.

So quoting form the PRD, it looks like you're looking for a Cavalier who follows the Order of the Warrior.

DyingNebula
2016-10-04, 04:26 AM
Order of the Warrior
Edicts: The samurai must protect the life and lands of his lord with his life. He must be truthful and courageous, respectful to his elders and his masters, and loyal to his friends and liege. He must conduct himself with honor and dignity.

Tactician (Ex)
At 1st level, a cavalier receives a teamwork feat as a bonus feat. He must meet the prerequisites for this feat. As a standard action, the cavalier can grant this feat to all allies within 30 feet who can see and hear him. Allies retain the use of this bonus feat for 3 rounds plus 1 round for every two levels the cavalier possesses. Allies do not need to meet the prerequisites of these bonus feats. The cavalier can use this ability once per day at 1st level, plus one additional time per day at 5th level and for every 5 levels thereafter.

So quoting form the PRD, it looks like you're looking for a Cavalier who follows the Order of the Warrior.

Well you have me on that one, but I have to say that the Samurai class is the reskined version of the Cavalier. I don't enjoy what the class brings in other regards. I am happy to be a fighter class, then be a Samurai as a character. I'm just looking for a viable class to do this with, other than Cavalier XD

Arkhios
2016-10-04, 04:33 AM
Well you have me on that one, but I have to say that the Samurai class is the reskined version of the Cavalier. I don't enjoy what the class brings in other regards. I am happy to be a fighter class, then be a Samurai as a character. I'm just looking for a viable class to do this with, other than Cavalier XD

What about being a Fighter with the Tactician Archetype (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Fighter%20Tacticia n)?

DyingNebula
2016-10-04, 04:40 AM
[QUOTE=Arkhios;21268946]What about being a

Hmmm, I've never played a fighter before, this will be my 3rd character. I'm not to sure how to build one to be a Samurai.

Cazero
2016-10-04, 04:42 AM
There is a whole lot of classes in 3.P that are the result of stupid bloating. Samurai is one of the worst of these.
Being a samurai is a social status, not a skillset. The word basically means "servant" and designate the most loyal and dedicated supporters of a noble house. They were empowered and made into nobility both as a reward and as a way to make them serve better. 99% of samurais would be Fighters, but in a world with magic a wizard could be a samurai and never use a weapon in his life.
So just build whatever you want to play, make an appropriate feudal background with japanese influence and call it a samurai.

DyingNebula
2016-10-04, 04:47 AM
There is a whole lot of classes in 3.P that are the result of stupid bloating. Samurai is one of the worst of these.
Being a samurai is a social status, not a skillset. The word basically means "servant" and designate the most loyal and dedicated supporters of a noble house. They were empowered and made into nobility both as a reward and as a way to make them serve better. 99% of samurais would be Fighters, but in a world with magic a wizard could be a samurai and never use a weapon in his life.
So just build whatever you want to play, make an appropriate feudal background with japanese influence and call it a samurai.
I agree completely, could you by chance help me build a Fighter to be a Samurai?

Arkhios
2016-10-04, 04:50 AM
Hmmm, I've never played a fighter before, this will be my 3rd character. I'm not to sure how to build one to be a Samurai.

You might be overthinking it. A warrior is still a warrior. Samurai and Fighter are in essence very similar. You seem to have all the background fluff already in mind, just roleplay it as a samurai (you know, Pathfinder is, among other things, still a roleplaying game). Not everything has to be written into mechanics. And if you have trouble of getting proficiency with katana, just pick the feat Exotic Weapon proficiency, or look if you can get it from a trait (I'm unsure of whether or not there is one). Otherwise, you could also multiclass into some class that could give you the proficiencies.

Milo v3
2016-10-04, 06:05 AM
If Third-Party is available, I would suggest a Bushi Warder which is specifically meant to be a badass samurai. Bushi is an archetype-type thing in Path of War:Expanded, and Warder is in Path of War.

Hunter Noventa
2016-10-04, 08:20 AM
If Third-Party is available, I would suggest a Bushi Warder which is specifically meant to be a badass samurai. Bushi is an archetype-type thing in Path of War:Expanded, and Warder is in Path of War.

I'd put my hat in with the similar Zweihander Sentinel archetype, grab yourself a Nodachi and enjoy.

gkathellar
2016-10-04, 08:25 AM
OP, what do you see as distinctively samurai-esque? Because honestly, my go-to samurai is any martial with a Japanese coat of paint. There's nothing distinctively European about the fighter that prevents you from just saying, "oh hello this is a samurai."

inuyasha
2016-10-04, 08:47 AM
OP, what do you see as distinctively samurai-esque? Because honestly, my go-to samurai is any martial with a Japanese coat of paint. There's nothing distinctively European about the fighter that prevents you from just saying, "oh hello this is a samurai."

That actually makes me want to try to refluff some martial characters as a sort of... subtype of samurai. I think Barbarian and Antipaladin would be the only hard ones.

gkathellar
2016-10-04, 10:42 AM
That actually makes me want to try to refluff some martial characters as a sort of... subtype of samurai. I think Barbarian and Antipaladin would be the only hard ones.

Barbarian is easy. There's plenty of kenjutsu schools that favor overwhelming offense over defense, and antipaladin is a dumb thing that shouldn't exist, so that's fine.

inuyasha
2016-10-04, 11:57 AM
I think the Antipaladin is fine on its own. I like the idea of a death and demon focused knight of evil. I do think they'd be better if they were allowed to be LE or NE, and if they were still called Blackguards instead, just to differentiate them a little bit from just being a reversed paladin

LibraryOgre
2016-10-04, 01:05 PM
The Mod Wonder: Moved and merged threads; may lead to some duplicate posts. Please post system-specific threads in the appropriate system topic.

Krazzman
2016-10-04, 02:09 PM
A samurai?

Class is secondary to this. The core concept should be a "Switch-Hitter" then you look which classes help you with reaching this.

You basically should go for a Naginata/Longbow or Nodachi/Longbow setup. Ultimate Combat (and Ultimate Equipment) features Eastern armor and those weapons.
The easiest route, as this was the first time I encountered the Switch-hitter concept, should be the Ranger with his combat style. Build for Powerattacking and then take the Archery Combat Style for ranged damage. Getting either an Adaptive or high Strength composite Longbow is the main point.
Powerattack favours two-handed weapons and, especially since the Katana was more of a secondary weapon (Spears/Naginata and Bows saw much more use) you are quite free what sort of weapon you want to have in melee... albeit the Nodachi and Naginata are the easiest.

If you have the stats and don't want the switch hitting... paladin might be more in line with your vision... alternatively a refluffed Swashbuckler could do the job as well, albeit I have no clue how good of a class it is... (only encountered one NPC in the game I DM and he was pretty annoying).

Good luck.

Ecliptic
2016-10-04, 03:21 PM

THIS is definitely a way to make your character happen. Focus in the mithral currant discipline, which basically enables you to make cool attacks by drawing and resheathing your weapon (a katana and/or a wakizashi) in a single turn. Maybe take some in golden lion or iron tortoise to make yourself more helpful to the group. The class gets bushidos which let you focus on honor and honesty.

If you want your samurai to be able to switch back and forth between a bow and katana, you can go Bushi Warlord instead and focus on Mithral Currant and Solar wind, using the feat you get at level 6 (quick draw) to switch back and forth as needed.

The only possible pitfall is that you need to be able to use third party stuff (DSP, in this case).

Sayt
2016-10-04, 04:30 PM
Viable Samurai builds that aren't Samurai or Cavalier?

Paladin of Shizuru (LG goddess of ancestors, the sun and swordplay.) Smites evil, kicks ass.

Unchained Monk, with the Ascetic Style, Ascetic Strike and EWP Kaanapali. Eventually aiming to get a blade of the sword saint. Slightly more kung fu movie, but fits the image of a samurai out of his armour in... I think it's Hakama?

The Bushi Class template from Path of War applied to either the Warlord or Warder. Powerful and versatile, with a focus on iajitsu.

Gruftzwerg
2016-10-04, 11:54 PM
Imho īgo either Paladin or Swordsage. The paladin will make it more mystical (spells/smite/detect evil) while the Swordsage will take the martial art route (maneuvers). Add the outfit and weapons and your Samurai will be set to go.