PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Elf Wizard Dragon Mechanics

-D-
2016-10-04, 05:03 AM
Say I have an Elf Wizard level 7. However due to some mutations (homebrew) I'm currently also a Dragon that's also a Wizard 7th level (clarification I could have casted Wizard 7 spells even as a young dragon). However I evolved into an Adult Green Dragon (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Green_Dragon). How does the Caster level 5th work with my current level? Maximum of the two or sum, i.e. is my caster level 7th or 12th? If latter, what does it influence beyond spells that count spell levels.

Knitifine
2016-10-04, 05:06 AM
Wizard does not stack with a Green Dragon's racial casting.
You are effectively a Sorcerer/Wizard.
Who is also a dragon.
And an elf.

Have fun!

-D-
2016-10-04, 06:39 AM
Interesting. Thanks!

Inevitability
2016-10-04, 07:00 AM
You may be interested in the Ultimate Magus class, which was kind of made for sorcerer/wizards. It's not bad, and it's probably more useful than taking plain wizard levels.

Knitifine
2016-10-04, 04:49 PM
I concur with Dire_Stirge, though only if this Schrodinger's dragon aspect is going to last all campaign.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-10-04, 05:06 PM
There's also the Spellhoarding dragon psychosis, if you want to stack the wizard casting on top of the racial dragon casting. Fairly cheesy, but effective.

Draconium
2016-10-04, 05:37 PM
There's also the Spellhoarding dragon psychosis, if you want to stack the wizard casting on top of the racial dragon casting. Fairly cheesy, but effective.

Allow me to add on to this. It changes your innate Sorcerer casting to Wizard, lets you basically inscribe your spellbook on your scales (your "spellhoard"), allows you to burn spells from your spellhoard like scrolls (causes you to lose the spell until you can relearn it in this case), has a "spellcatching" mechanic (allows you to counter certain spells, then pay money or burn spells to add the spell to you hoard), and gives you +2 Int, -4 Wis, Eschew Materials, and Scribe Scroll for free. It's in Dragon Magazine #313, and is technically LA 0.

bookkeeping guy
2016-10-04, 10:50 PM
Allow me to add on to this. It changes your innate Sorcerer casting to Wizard, lets you basically inscribe your spellbook on your scales (your "spellhoard"), allows you to burn spells from your spellhoard like scrolls (causes you to lose the spell until you can relearn it in this case), has a "spellcatching" mechanic (allows you to counter certain spells, then pay money or burn spells to add the spell to you hoard), and gives you +2 Int, -4 Wis, Eschew Materials, and Scribe Scroll for free. It's in Dragon Magazine #313, and is technically LA 0.

I like this concept. But I wanted to clarify something about it.

So are we under the understanding that he and every other mage out there can scribe scrolls like within a few minutes to an hour per spell per scroll? I've always been confused about the time it takes to scribe a scroll in general anyway because under the old ad&d rules they seemed to want to draw out how long it took to make magical items. it would help if there was a table somewhere that had time required to make wizard scrolls...

But on the flip side there are class builds that are using a system of only using wizard scrolls like this too and some sage builds that are writing and item or potion based so having it take days to make 1 lousy scroll would kill the fun for those people too.

And another concern I had wondering about it, is when do you specify that a spellcaster making a scroll costs them money as compared to not? It seems some builds that are based on scrolls as their scroll system would suffer terribly if they had to pay every time they made a scroll...but on the other side a normal mage that already has a full retinue of spells could theoretically go over kill and have unlimited scrolls and walk into a fight with like 30 fireball scrolls in addition to his normal stuff.

Input and advise on this appreciated.

I was wondering too on the build that this thread is about if the spellcasting system would work differently when he's shapeshifted into elf form compared to his dragon form because that's what dragons would do...and would there be some hit on his dragon abilities too because of the big bonus of all that extra magic he's getting? (honest question, not trying to be a jerk)