PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Cleric or Bard for this group?

KuzuD
2016-10-04, 11:41 AM
Our group is playing Horde of the Dragon Queen (and I assume we'll be playing RoT afterward) and have just hit Waterdeep after the caravan run.

Thus far, I've been playing a War Domain Cleric, and have enjoyed him quite a bit. However, this particular chapter would be a great spot to replace the character, and I'm really tempted to take Lore Bard for a spin (I play a LOT of clerics, so a change sounds fun).

We're only a 3-member party, with a Eldrich Knight and Trickster Rogue along with my character. We're level 4 (Might be level 5 for the upcoming session) at the moment.

I like the skills and "party face" aspect of the Bard, but I'm concerned that a Lore Bard won't have enough offensive firepower with such a small party.

Healing's never been an issue - My cleric got by with only Healing Word, and I plan on keeping HW with the bard, and between that and Song of Rest, healing should be fine.

For the bard, I used my level 4 ASI for Magic Initiate: Warlock to grab Eldrich Blast and Hex. I ALMOST think EB will be enough to cover my offense, but I won't be worth much in melee, as the SCAG cantrips aren't allowed (PHB only).

The Trickster Rogue pretty much stays ranged, if that matters.

Aembrosia
2016-10-04, 11:44 AM
The answer is always lore bard.

Sometimes the answer is sorcadin.

Someone come pitch sorcadin.

Tarvil
2016-10-04, 11:58 AM
Bards are fun. If you never played one, you should try. I still prefer clerics tho.

KuzuD
2016-10-04, 01:07 PM
Any suggestions for Spell choices? The EK and Trickster Rogue took mainly offensive spells, so we're short on utility That's one of the reasons I'm considering sticking with cleric - for the versatility.

As of right now, I'm taking:

Lv1 - Faerie Fire, Healing Word

Lv2 - Enhance Ability

Lv3 - Fear, Tongues

That leaves me with 3 spells open - either 1 first level and 2 second, or 3 second level.

I like Disguise Self for roleplay reasons - I've gone Tiefling, and might want to hide it, plus, it's good for infiltration. To a lesser extent, Tongues is for RP as well, so even if it's not optimized, I'd prefer to keep it.

That leaves me with level 2 spells for offense. Hold Person seems like it would work well with Eldrich Blast (and Hex - If I'm going to lock down one guy, it's probably one I really need dead), but doesn't deal direct damage.

It seems like Dissonant Whispers and Fear overlap, but I like the multiple targeting (and RP) of Fear. Since we're a small party, we're not fighting huge crowds, so control is not that necessary. Cloud of Daggers doesn't seem like a great choice. Shatter? Heat Metal?

Sir cryosin
2016-10-04, 02:02 PM
Have you thought of a bardlock. Pick up eb with char mod and that's your damage. And you alway have healing with rechargeable slots on shortrest.

KuzuD
2016-10-04, 02:24 PM
Have you thought of a bardlock. Pick up eb with char mod and that's your damage. And you alway have healing with rechargeable slots on shortrest.

I've thought about it, but Magical Secrets kicks in at level 6 if I don't M/C. Maybe it's worth it - I'll look into it!

Sir cryosin
2016-10-04, 03:11 PM
I've thought about it, but Magical Secrets kicks in at level 6 if I don't M/C. Maybe it's worth it - I'll look into it!

Yes it sucks putting off magical secrets. But look at what you gain. Your getting a scaling cantrip that adds mod to it. Short rest rechargeable 2 slots. Another invocation. And if you take one more lv your getting a pact boon.

Zanthy1
2016-10-04, 07:54 PM
The answer is always lore bard.

Sometimes the answer is sorcadin.

Someone come pitch sorcadin.

Sorcerer Paladin? Please tell me more! Or link to something, this sounds really interesting!

MeeposFire
2016-10-04, 08:17 PM

Adding a few levels of warlock will add greatly to your at will damage. It will also delay your spell casting. Essentially you improve an area you are weak in at the expense of what you do strongly. Whether that is worth it will be up to you.

Citan
2016-10-05, 03:41 AM
Our group is playing Horde of the Dragon Queen (and I assume we'll be playing RoT afterward) and have just hit Waterdeep after the caravan run.

Thus far, I've been playing a War Domain Cleric, and have enjoyed him quite a bit. However, this particular chapter would be a great spot to replace the character, and I'm really tempted to take Lore Bard for a spin (I play a LOT of clerics, so a change sounds fun).

We're only a 3-member party, with a Eldrich Knight and Trickster Rogue along with my character. We're level 4 (Might be level 5 for the upcoming session) at the moment.

I like the skills and "party face" aspect of the Bard, but I'm concerned that a Lore Bard won't have enough offensive firepower with such a small party.

Healing's never been an issue - My cleric got by with only Healing Word, and I plan on keeping HW with the bard, and between that and Song of Rest, healing should be fine.

For the bard, I used my level 4 ASI for Magic Initiate: Warlock to grab Eldrich Blast and Hex. I ALMOST think EB will be enough to cover my offense, but I won't be worth much in melee, as the SCAG cantrips aren't allowed (PHB only).

The Trickster Rogue pretty much stays ranged, if that matters.
Cleric is always nice, but with your party Lore Bard can indeed be a great choice too. Just remember when you start playing it that it is much more frail than a War Cleric (light armor only, no shield). So you will have to stay in back line.

Considerign your pals, I'd say Dissonant Whispers is a mandatory spell since it's admitted its movement effects is a "valid" movement for opportunity attacks. EDIT: Just saw that your Rogue is staying ranged. So then Dissonant Whispers lose its "spell of choice" status.
For the rest, apart from the obvious Healing Words, my favorites are...
Faerie Fire or Sleep for 1st level concentration.
Heat Metal for 2nd level concentration (guaranted damage before save, if you target a heavy creature in metal armor it will be impossible for it to avoid the effect, so you damage and control at the same time).
Shatter for an AOE and Blindness for non-concentration control.
Bestow Curse (game-changer on a success), Leomund's Tiny Hut (always useful) and either Hypnotic Pattern (concentration) or Plant Growth for a bit of large-scale control.

EDIT: Don't understand, you are already level 4 as a Bard? Anyways, if your main concern is lack of utility, then rather than taking Magic Initiate Warlock, it could be much more worth it to actually take a 3 level dip in Tome Warlock: you can get Shillelagh or Shocking Grasp for melee, Agonizing Blast and Ritual casting up to 3rd level spells. You just need your DM to play along (give you chance to learn ritual spells through quests/loots/towns).