PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Silence: Fading Stars

DoctorGlock
2016-10-04, 01:00 PM
Stasis. A state or condition where nothing changes. No progress. And as apt a word as any, you think. There is no way to track the days here, not when the sun remains fixed in the sky. And a miserable sun at that, dull and red and sullen, too close, it is a pulsing constant desert heat upon the endless grey sands and jagged craggy stones. A hot wind churns the sands into a stinging wind, casting the grey misery into the ashen skies and revealing the serried ranks of the dead resting in state. Or trying to. Occasionally one will grumble and curse, unable to rest, aware only of the misery of ceaseless ages. It rises, only to forget why and lie down once again. From time to time, misshapen and monstrous nameless things can be seen to stalk the shadows hungrily.

Hell. Hell or close enough. And where Izanami makes her home. The true silent majority and the last repository for all their knowledge. And perhaps your last hope.

But how to find a goddess in a land with no maps, and no geography to speak of? The ever shifting sands cover any landmark worth mentioning, the twisted jagged stones vanishing under their grainy shrouds to strike at unsuspecting feet. Divinations crumble with a cold finality here, and clockwork timepieces ceased to function in juddering stops long ago. If time had any meaning.

A searing buffet picks up from... somewhere. There is no east or west. Your compass' needle hangs limply beneath its glass. The wind bears stinging sands and fragments of what you long ago realised is bone, worn to shards and dust by the constant choking winds.

'Don't really see the point,' a voice from behind, and somewhat below croaks in a parched and broken rattle. The sands have receded down the dune, revealing the long rotted and petrified hulk of some ancient ship, a tangle of shattered wooden ribs jutting like teeth from it's cracked spine-like keel. Leaning against one of the ribs is another desiccated corpse, limbs creaking and cracking as it heaves itself to a seated position, ash grey sands cascading off of grey flesh. Dried eyes rattle in their sockets as they seem to focus on you. 'You can patter about. Nothing changes, you give up eventually. Might as well have a bit of a rest. Got plenty of prime boat to choose from. Might even have a good memory of a grog or two. You look fresh. Any news worth hearing? Good war? Maybe one of those star crossed doomed lovers tales? It's been a long while since I heard one.' it rasped. 'But there's a whole big bunch of you, all kitted up for war. That what killed you? What are you in for?'

BelGareth
2016-10-04, 01:35 PM
Damascus had just arrived, randomly he might add. He would need to get some scrolls for Mr. Fire if he was going to keep using him as he had done. But nonetheless, he was here, and Mr. Fire had gone back home, to be called again when needed.

Damascus smiled slightly, the name was juvenile at best, but mocking a Firre eladrin, and having them suffer it, was one of his few enjoyments.

Pushing the thought aside, he sensed the undead being behind him the moment he had arrived, though, to be fair, he was ready for undead in this place, one would be crazy not to.

<Doesn't stop you, things get a little lopsided with you around, and you don't focus much>

He ignored him, Karsus could be cold, and belligerent sometimes, but he was important. And much like Mr. Fire, ignoring him, only fueled his fire.

<Kill it> Vanus piped in.

<Kill it? it's already dead, how do you propose to kill it?> Gaea chimed in, before Zuriel would. They always teamed up against Vanus, taking the 'higher' road when possible. Damascus usually found it annoying, but on occasion, he enjoyed the banter against the other 'morally greyer vestiges'.

Damascus squeezed his hand, the one with the bow hidden inside his glove. He wanted to use it, but no, this undead being was exactly that, destroying him meant nothing. Besides, he might be able to barter with the thing.

Turning, he sought to see the creature with his eyes, having already sensed the thing a dozen other ways. He regarded the pitiful sun, and the wind as he did so. This was truly an awful place, and the dust was getting in his clothes.

slowly, he regarded the man, or whatever, and frowned.

"Not at all." he said, slowly "I came here by request." he tilted his head to the side, as if he was sizing up his new conversational partner "I would ask what bought you here, but I think that is obvious. You say you have't heard a good tale in a time? Well, perhaps I can offer one up to you, I have a great story about a recent war on a prime world, but I need something in return." he finishes with a raised eyebrow.

<kill him> Vanus says again.

<Oh for cryin out loud!> Zuriel exclaims

DoctorGlock
2016-10-04, 01:46 PM
The corpse shrugs, the gesture shucking more sand off of it, cascading between dry exposed ribs. 'What are you looking for? Comfortable place to rot? Know a couple. A good memory? Not many left.'

BelGareth
2016-10-04, 01:56 PM
He narrows his eyes.

"Im looking for Izanami." he simply says.

<Ooh, way to go, he's going to be in stitches, and your sweet talking is going to unlock the floodgates of this poor souls mouth.> Desharis says
<Nah, I think he's going to get this one> Karsus pipes in <look at it, this thing has nothing to do, this is the most action it's seen in ages>
<Do you really think it can remember though?> Gaea asks.
<I'll bet it can> Karsus replies
<with what exactly?> Zuriel says in return.

For what its worth

[roll0]

LoyalPaladin
2016-10-04, 02:08 PM
Tenzan

Wastes. Gray wastes in every direction. How long had he been here? Years? Centuries? A millennia? Tenzan had no idea. He saw a minor disturbance in the waste and without anything else to do he followed its source to a now uncovered vessel. He arrived just in time to hear a newcomer inquire about Izanami.

"That information wont do you any good, I'm afraid." He carelessly pipes up from behind. "Take a look above you, she's locked up there." He shrugs.

DoctorGlock
2016-10-04, 02:09 PM
The corpse raises it's eyebrows enough for dust to pour from the sockets and one dried eye to fall with it. One hand casually takes it from the dust to replace it again. 'To Diyu with the dusty old bitch,' it says ruefully. 'Good thing you got time then, if you're here.' As it speaks a flask of some sort, translucent and insubstantial appears in one hand and it takes a drink. It seems to focus a bit more and some substance flushes its face. 'Look for a big old flying fortress that travels from horizon to horizon. Can't miss it,' it spits with a baleful dry cackle. 'Of course, the place is on the large size, and,' he adds narrowing his remaining eye, now a shade of brilliant blue, 'judging by the fact that you draw breath, you might not have so much time as that.'

'Best bet would be to get her attention then,' he says with a resigned shrug, holding out the flask. 'Top me off if you'd be so kind.'

Snowbluff
2016-10-04, 03:04 PM
Tempest and Lamia Lamina

A pale man with windswept blonde hair and grey eyes stands idly by, a winged serpent draped around his shoulders. He's not kitted for war but wears a simple pair of trousers and a traveler's cloak.

"Some would say that there is no such thing as a good war..." Tempest mutters.

"Oh buck up," his snake, Lamia, say, using her telepathy.

"Now if we start breaking things, I could get her attention."

"The body just said that, weren't you paying attention?"

"No, of course not. Now when you could tell me every little thing that is said."

"Uh, really?"

"I did not hear a word. I always had planned to make a mess in the first place, despite there not being much in the first place. Of course, some people wanted information first," Tempest grumbles.

BelGareth
2016-10-04, 03:26 PM
Damascus turns from the undead man asking for a refill.

<A refill of what?> asks Gaea, she was always curious, seemingly naive most of the time.

Again, he could sense the newcomers before they even spoke.

<Oh goody, more people.> chimed Karsus <Perhaps they'll make a big deal for us, and we can meet this Izanami woman.>

Smiling, he nods to the people speaking all of a sudden. Here he was, in the land of the dead, and he thought he would be alone. Go figure. Fate, again, has a way of taking his plans and defecating all over them.

"And you two would be?" he asks.

If you are a living being, upon hearing me, make a Will save DC 34, or treat me as friendly.

Snowbluff
2016-10-04, 03:36 PM
"Our names are not important," Tempest says.

"Were spooooooky because we're ghosts!" Says the snake.

"Oh quiet. That joke has not been funny in a 150 years."

"You've been dead 180."

"Who's counting?"

"You are. Now are we going to do the mysterious or actually introduce ourselves."

"Fine. It matters little. I am simply known as Tempest, and this is my companion, Lamia Lamina," Tempest says. The snake lifts her black and white tail off of Taric's arm and extends it towards the binder.

LoyalPaladin
2016-10-04, 03:40 PM
Tenzan

Crossing his arms guardedly, he replies. "What sort of man asks for another's name before introducing himself?" His eyebrows are knitted together out of concern for where tradition has gone. "I am Tenzan Ametsuchi, martyred heir to the Ametsuchi clan." His eyes, deep red and penetrating fix on Damascus. "And who are you?"

If you are a living being, upon hearing me, make a Will save DC 34, or treat me as friendly.
Mind Blank?

Will Save (Just in case it doesn't apply.)
[roll0]

Breitheamh
2016-10-04, 03:43 PM
Macsen closed his eyes and took a cleansing breath, trying to calm his anxious mind. It didn't help. The Realm of the Dead just seemed so........dead. It was depressing. He wasn't sure how long he would have to find the souls of Therunael, nor did he have any idea how many other planes he would have to search.

He wasn't quite sure what he'd been expecting, but this just seemed hopeless.

Take stock of what you know, he thinks, opening his eyes. The sovereign here is Izanami, and.....

Was that it? Was that all he knew?

He rubs his eyes and scratches his chin, smiling wryly. No idea where I am and no clue what to do? Just the way I like it.

He raises himself several inches off the ground and hangs there for a moment, letting the weightlessness wash over him, then gently touches down and keeps walking.

When he sees the small gathering at the dune, he heads toward them, just in time to hear someone ask for introductions.

"My name is Macsen," he says, caring not if the question was not actually directed at him. "And who might you be?"

BelGareth
2016-10-04, 03:57 PM
<Oh dear, you hurt his feelings. You should apologize, hurt feelings can fester like wounds> Gaea speaks up, she was being chatty today.
<No, let him sit and spin, he was rude, but then calls you out, who does he think he is?> Karsus intones his old wisdom.
<Kill them> Vanus says, again.

Damascus listens and smiles, bobbing his head at the introductions. "Oh but of course, I am known as Damascus. I would say I am sorry about the break of etiquette, but I was not aware of one."

<and we don't care> Desharis spoke up

"But as you spoke up first..."

<careful honey, you don't want to annoy this one too> He stopped, mouth open, then closed it "nevermind." he stops to regard yet another newcomer, had fate colluded with destiny to bring all them together, it was overwhelmingly obvious something was happening.

He nodded to the newest member of their intrepid band, and slowly rose from the depressing ashes, looking into the horizon for any 'castles'.

DoctorGlock
2016-10-04, 04:04 PM
The corpse glances at the group with his one eye before gently popping the other back in with a rattle. 'Sorry 'gov, told you the place was big,' he said, gesturing towards the empty ashen sky. 'No proper horizons, no real distance. Just misery. Infinite, really.' the man begins to sweep the flask over the wooden ribs of the ship, like a prisoner across bars, a distracting rattle as he expectantly shakes the ephemeral thing.

LoyalPaladin
2016-10-04, 04:15 PM
Tenzan

Tenzan bows respectfully to the newcomers, as would be tradition for his realm. He turns his gaze on the undead. "I am sorry, fellow. I do not have any sustenance to offer you." He peers into the sky, his eyes showing him the world's true form. "This realm is quite expansive. But you'll see her fortress every now and again." He'll of course introduce himself to Tempest and awkwardly shake Lamina's tail.

Feathersnow
2016-10-04, 05:09 PM
Ulpshuonoomn/Mari

This place. The sands, like an endless hourglass. It should be dry, but it is too worn, too fine. Like an eternal rash. The empty, eternal Day. Grating, meaningless. This is the Hell that Ilesensine shields us from.

This place. The sky, like a leering corpse. It should be full of stars or clouds, but it is blank, featureless. Like an eternal headache. The empty, eternal Twilight. Maddening, pointless. This is the Hell that Kord should have saved me from.

A hooded figure shuffles to meet the others. She, It, felt them with no sense that has a proper name in any spoken language. The part that was a woman fears the isolation. The part that is not human fears it far more. Neither want to face themself or their fear. They see that at least one of them are friends. Perhaps they,too, are servants of Knowledge. Knowledge will be needed. Grelv said that, and, even were he not a great orator, she would believe him after what she had seen back in the Astral Sea.

Hello, strangers. They call me Mari. I am a traveler from a distant land, come to seek answers about the cracks in the Great Wheel. The Warden of this realm is one of the few that may know of what is to come. My Provider is neither friend nor foe of Inazami, and I would hear her speak, if she would deign it.

What to say, too much, too little? Her Emissary title was as much burden as boon, for she could not hide the patronage of the Great Mind from anyone native to this world, and few from outside it who were not its foes. And few who knew the nature of The Great Mind would be kind. She had not lied, barely obfuscated.

This people seemed nice. After her return to Sigil, she had come to accept low standards indeed.

Snowbluff
2016-10-04, 10:50 PM
Tempest and Lamia Lamina

Lamia seemed shocked that Tenzan accepted her gesture. "Wow! I thought you guys weren't understanding. Well, I guess that some people still have some manners then." She slithers off of Tempest and onto Tenzan, getting cozy. She weighs a good 100 pounds, so the relief prompts Tempest to stretch his shoulders.

Tempest glances at Mari. "I am seeking her as well. Give me a moment, I am working on drawing her attention." he begins to cast a spell of Contro-

"YOU SHOULD MAKE A BLIZZARD!" interrupts Lamia.

"Excuse me?" Tempest asks.

"It's super boring here, right? The snow would give them something to do. They could make snow angels, snow forts, and snow me, and have snowball fights."

"Lamia, you're cold blooded. You hate the cold."

Lamia subconsciously tightens herself around Tenzan. "D-don't be ridiculous," she stammers.

LoyalPaladin
2016-10-05, 09:44 AM
Tenzan

Listening to Mari's remarks carefully, Tenzan replies. "Provider? This sounds like a business agreement." His expression is relatively unchanging and he always appears to be taking in new information. "This is quite the ensemble of beings, I have trouble believing it is merely happenstance that has us together."

When Lamia transfers from Tempest to himself, he is unphased as well. Snakes have never really bothered him and this one was fairly small. Lung dragons were practically snakes and he'd ridden one of those. Or at least tried.

As an attempt to be helpful, Tenzan offers one of his many memories of drinking foreign ale, which he was only moderately fond of to begin with, to the boatman. "Let us attend to the important discussion at hand. You seek Izanami's flying fortress? It travels the sky in regular intervals." He reaches one hand up to stroke the snake along her scales, impressed by her scales' sheen. She must be in the top 1% of snakes. "Unfortunately for all here, time is convoluted in this realm and it is impossible to tell you what those regular intervals are."

Feathersnow
2016-10-05, 01:23 PM
The faithful call the Deity "Provider" for it is their providence that will remember us and see our memories through the cycles of eternity. To describe the deity as having gender, or even as performing an action, would be blasphemy. That they exist is enough.

Mari says this earnestly, and without any hostility. She is glad that the Cult of Ilesensine is Deist. It allows her to skirt any details about who or what her deity is with ignorant (or worse, not ignorant) unbelievers.

But, in any event, you are not wrong to think I am here intentionally. A great bard and sage sent me to this world from the Astral Sea, and he suspected this area would be propitious. As for waiting, time is of especial interest to my Deity and people. Waiting is a sacrament. Unless, of course, it can be avoided. she says this last with a chuckle. If her face were not obscured, you would think she cracked a smile.

Snowbluff
2016-10-05, 01:28 PM
Tempest and Lamia Lamina

Lamina hisses at Mari.

"I concur," Tempest says, as if he understood what she meant. "Tell everything or tell us nothing. I've no time for vague and half truths." Tempest says this, even though he now probably, or perhaps because he truly, knows enough to glean of which Deity Mari speaks.

Feathersnow
2016-10-05, 06:48 PM
The figure seems confused, even looks around, as though there were some mistake.

I am being honest. I am an emissary and faithful follower of the greater god Ilesensine, called the Great Mind. Who possesses neither gender, nor who is seen to perform any action. But, independent of that, the great Elder Wyrm Kobold sage Grelv-Ytyakl asked me to come here to learn what I could of the great disaster that has befallen the Cosmos. Barriers between worlds have become weak, while gateways have become unreliable. An elder Devil like She who rules this place is likely to know much.

Breitheamh
2016-10-06, 12:49 PM
Macsen listens, barely following the conversation. Whatever about strange gods and flying fortresses was well above his understanding of the universe. The fact that two of these strangers seemed to be suddenly at odds, while a talking snake was waxed poetic about the virtues of snowfall was just a little outside his idea of normalcy.

But, something this newcomer, Mari, had said, peaked his interest.

"What did you say about disaster befalling the cosmos and barriers breaking?" he asks the hooded figure.

LoyalPaladin
2016-10-06, 01:02 PM
Tezan

"Elder... wyrm... kobold?" Tenzan questions quietly to himself. He felt as though those words did not belong together, but that was unimportant.

Watching the newcomers question each other with scrutiny, Tenzan chimes in. "Please, be silent for a moment and listen." He'll wait for silence to fall and then continue. "I have been here for a long time. I have seen a great many things. Izanami, who I would prefer to be spoken of with respect and reverence, has only only left her place of solitude and rest once." His eyes scan over these newcomers, taking in all of their details and sizing them all up. "When a mortal was bold enough to attempt to steal souls from her domain."

BelGareth
2016-10-06, 01:07 PM
Damascus had already grown tired of the boring prattle of the others. this is why he chose not to join any groups, they did this.

<oh dear, but you are lonely maybe...>
<Leave the boy alone Gaea, he can handle it, he has done for years now> retorted Karsus.

Shaking his head, he thought of the best way to get attention...and it came to him.

<Call a genie and have him light up the sky> Zceryl answered in kind.

And so, while floating in the dreary sky, illuminescent golden wings beating slowly, keeping him held aloft. He summoned a Genie. As the being appeared before him, he turned to regard Damascus and smiled.

"Ah yes, I'm glad it was you who answered the call, please light up the sky with a sign, I want to grab someones attention."

The genie nodded, and began casting a spell, suddenly a glowing 'Hello?' appeared in common above his head, flashing in neon green.

Nodding in satisfaction, he dismissed Lord Wishy.

Summon alien to summon Genie, have him cast Permanent Image. Max size is 24 10ft cubes.

So it will be 30ft tall x 80 ft long x 10 ft wide.

Flashing green Neon.

Feathersnow
2016-10-06, 04:10 PM
Mari/Ulpshuonoomn
Well, sort of stealing souls, that is as much as we can do to get the Lady's attention. Thank you, friend.
I would try to go to her directly, if I know the way. But, obviously, I do not, nor, I suppose, do any of you.

Whew, that went better than attempting to introduce herself normally did. At least without polymorph powers...
Right they are to fear, even if we mean them no specific harm today.

DoctorGlock
2016-10-07, 10:43 AM
'A light show. Those are the best ways to attract the bitch-queen. I'm not complaining,' the corpse gripes. 'It's the most action I've seen in... well, Diyu if I know. I have an idea, let's go with the souls plan. I found a volunteer,' he adds, waving his arm forlornly.

You get the feeling he is giving you very leading advice.

Snowbluff
2016-10-07, 10:53 AM
Tempest and Lamia Lamina

Tempest looks at Tanzin. "Would be so glad as to ascribe a mechanism to that method?"

"Weren't you listening? This guy says we should jack him," Lamia says.

"What, should we try planeshifting him? I'm concerned something horrible might happen, considering the state of the planes."

"If you don't do, I'll find another way to steal him. I'll jump on him and say 'hey I'm taking this guy, he is mine.'"

"Fine." Tempest walks up to the soul. "You. I choose you. Your soul is now forfeit unto me," he says halfheartedly, poking the soul with a Greater Planeshift, in an attempt to sending him to the previous afterlife Tempest occupied.

LoyalPaladin
2016-10-07, 10:53 AM
Tenzan

Eyes still watching this group carefully, Tezan sighs and looks at the undead. "Why do I feel like this is going to bite me?" He'll then board the Undead's vessel. "Does this move?"

Tenzan's eyes widen, taking in the spell that was just cast by Tempest. "Hundreds... maybe thousands of years worshiping Izanami and now I'm going to ruffle her feathers. Please forgive me, mistress."

Breitheamh
2016-10-07, 11:52 AM
Macsen

Macsen gives a look of confusion to each member of the little gathering in turn. Two of them had just performed immensely powerful feats of magic without so much as blinking, the hooded one who spoke in cryptic riddles just seemed to be ignoring him.

He turns last to Tenzan, who, despite the red eyes, seems the most normal of any of them, and grabs his shoulder to get his attention.

"You seem less weird than them and less ignorant than me, so can you please explain to me what is going on? I came here looking for the souls of my world's dead, but the hood just said something about disaster in the cosmos, and no one else seems to be concerned about it."

LoyalPaladin
2016-10-07, 12:24 PM
Tenzan

Being nearly impossible to catch off-guard, Tenzan is unsurprised by Macsen grabbing hold of his shoulder, but does not think he is a threat to his safety... yet. He focuses his attention directly on Macsen and his gaze is incredibly intense. "There are many after-lives, spanning a variety of planescapes. Are you sure your world's dead come here?" He raises an eyebrow. "As to a cataclysmic event of degradation of the cosmos, I do not have much insight. I've been here for a long time, as I stated earlier." He crosses his arms. Macsen, was it? Tenzan pushes through to Macsen's mind telepathically. If your cause is noble, perhaps 'saving the cosmos' and finding your dead are meant to align.

Breitheamh
2016-10-07, 01:12 PM
Macsen

The warrior frowns at the voice in his head, his hand instinctively reaching for the chain at his belt.

Yes, Macsen is my name, and Tenzan is yours, if I heard correctly. You should know that I do not generally appreciate other people in my mind; there are too many dark memories that I would rather not relive---a quick flash of memory bursts through Macsen's mind into Tenzan's, an image of Macsen with tears in his eyes putting a sword through a young man in armor---my cause is not 'noble,' but it is mine, he continues. 'Saving the cosmos,' however, is a just cause that I would aid in if I can. My loved ones can wait.

LoyalPaladin
2016-10-07, 01:23 PM
Tenzan

Tenzan raises an eyebrow. You'd rather have a conversation about your intentions out loud? He folds his arms. So be it, but if you draw a weapon against me, prepare for it to be your final action. His eyes dart to Macsen's chain. I mean you no harm, but if you mean me harm there will be consequences.

Tenzan awaits the result of Tempest's Plane Shift.

BelGareth
2016-10-07, 01:35 PM
<Oh, how weird, I swore that would work> said Karsus, a tinge of annoyance in his voice.
<Ah, but it got us somewhere didn't it? the corpse is doing something> Zuriel piped in.

Damascus flew down to the corpse, leaving the permanent image of the flashing neon sign in the sky, to alight upon the craft, and await the outcome. He was a little confused, why was this Izanami creature so elusive? He stood, with a tilted head, waiting, his clothes gently moving in an unseen wind, as if he was afloat the astral plane.

<I still think you should kill them>

DoctorGlock
2016-10-07, 03:51 PM
'Well, I suppose if it were that easy every two bit conjurer of cheap tricks would have waltzed his way back from the dead by now. I probably tried it once... I think I was something important once...,' the corpse said as Tempest's spell fizzled. 'Got to have some substance on the other side I reckon. I don't got any. Barely got any left here. That was the last drop,' he says as he swirls the flask around, fading and vanishing into the murky twilight. 'Boat used to move, I think,' he answers Tenzan. 'Not all of us are as lucky as you, to keep our memories in this hell...'

There is a way out, it is rumored. The sun was placed here by Izanagi to guard one exit, and is guarded by Amaterasu herself, whose arrows strike like rays of sunlight anywhere on the plane. Rumor has it that there is another way out, somewhere through the infinite catacombs of Diyu should anyone be brave enough to make the journey and wise or lucky enough to find the original passage walked by by Izanagi many eons ago. It is said by the dead that the last hero to try to steal a soul actually made his way through the labyrinthine underworld below. If there are other ways out, they are known by Izanami alone.

The dead cannot go back unless they have the spark of life. A simple plane shift isn't enough unless there is a self waiting on the other side to receive the soul. You would need to find another way to drag a soul from the world of the dead into the world of the living.

His motives are entirely self serving.

LoyalPaladin
2016-10-07, 04:04 PM
Tenzan

Tenzan makes a frustrated humming sound. "There are rumored ways out of this plane... but one is guarded by a goddess and the other would require incredible amounts of bravery." Sympathetically, he turns to the undead. "We were all more than we are now at one point in time, my friend."

Good thing Tenzan chose to be dead...

Knowledge Religion (Untrained)
[roll0]

Sense Motive
[roll1]

Feathersnow
2016-10-07, 07:49 PM
The hooded figure chuckles at the lame bungled "challenge" from Tempest. This changes from sputters of incredulity, then outright alarm, as she realizes he is actually going through with it. She contemplates countering the spell, but, by the time she sees it, it is too late!

Oh, sugar!/Oh crap! (Mari, being Mari, did not swear, and Ulpshuonoomn, being from a race of telepath, rarely did either. Some divine emissary she was turning out to be. Her first official act, and it risked starting a war between rival pantheons. For an illithid to active want to die forgotten is a sad state, but this was pretty bad. Maybe, in the seconds between Inazami appearing, and Inazami obliterating them into pure mana and then eating the remenants, she could try to convince Her that she wasn't with them, and only showed up because she knew they would bring Her attention....

Breitheamh
2016-10-07, 08:33 PM
Tenzan

Tenzan raises an eyebrow. You'd rather have a conversation about your intentions out loud? He folds his arms. So be it, but if you draw a weapon against me, prepare for it to be your final action. His eyes dart to Macsen's chain. I mean you no harm, but if you mean me harm there will be consequences.

At least until I trust you, Macsen replies to Tenzan incredulous thought. Then, when Tenzan warns him not to raise arms against him, Macsen breaks into a huge smile and lets out a hearty chuckle. He claps the red-eyed man on the shoulder and then holds his hands in front of him, about a foot apart, raising an eyebrow at Tenzan and giving a sly smile and a wink.

Then he turns and listens to the others converse about what to do. He is picking things up a bit better now, or at least he thinks he is.

"We're trying to get Izanami's attention, right? Why don't we just go and knock on her door?" he asks, perhaps a bit more confidently than is warranted.

Feathersnow
2016-10-07, 10:46 PM
Mari/Ulpshuonoomn
Well, I am not sure that was good or bad that you couldn't actually do that, the figure says diplomatically. I guess I should have known that nothing is that easy. Knocking on her door does seem the best course, if we could find it. I was hoping one of you knew where it was. I just got here.

Also, as an aside, I am more than I ever was, for your information, and getting better ever day.
after appearing to stop, a strange quirk, like a second person, seems to twitch and hiss sarcastically.
Too bad there aren't "days" here OR the Astral plane!

LoyalPaladin
2016-10-10, 10:16 AM
Tenzan

Tenzan folds his arms and his expression toughens. "There is a place we can go that could possibly function as an escape route from this realm." He scans over his newfound 'team'. "Though I suspect it will be an incredibly difficult journey." He nods to the undead, suspecting he might have an idea about what where he is going with this.

Snowbluff
2016-10-10, 12:16 PM
Tempest and Lamia Lamina

Tempest frowns.

"Sorry, mate," Lamina says, "we thought we would move you to a nicer afterlife, to try at least."

BelGareth
2016-10-12, 10:44 AM
Damascus floats down serenely, as if being held aloft by a chorus of angels.

He tilts his head towards Tenzan. "I have nothing better to do, I will go with you." he says simply

<Oh no honey, you don't need to, this one is....>
<A pretentious prick?>
<A moron?>
<Dead, because you should kill him>

Breitheamh
2016-10-12, 11:26 AM
"So, just so we're all clear, the plan is for each of us to grab as many souls as we can carry and hightail it outta here through the incredibly dangerous escape route in the hopes that the Queen of Hell will be bothered enough to come and give us a talking to...." Macsen looks around at the little group of strangers, grinning like a mischievous child; Lord, how he'd missed this.

"Does that about sum things up?"

LoyalPaladin
2016-10-12, 11:29 AM
Tenzan

Eyeing Macsen, he adds. "I am one of her souls. You might all be new to this plane, but I'm here naturally. Not to mention, no offense to our undead friend, as a sane soul of modest power, I'm most likely worth a lot to her." He frowns. "I think losing two souls, our friend and I, would earn her ire quickly."

DoctorGlock
2016-10-12, 01:19 PM
God's Gonna Cut You Down

'It's a great idea, you bust me, we get out of this joint, we don't try to route through Diyu, and then... oh ****...' the corpse trails off watching the skies as he starts trying to dig himself into the sands. Even as the ghost reaches its realization Tenzen can feel something coming. The ghostly hairs on his neck prickle moments before a bolt of lightning splits the sky with a peal of deafening thunder.

Not from ashen sky to ground, no, but a bolt zigzags its way across the sky almost too fast to track before it is met by a searing sunbeam, dim and red and they both plummet towards the ground to impact less than a dozen yards away with enough force to shake the ground and nearly throw you from your feet. When the dust clears three figures stand before you.

Two ride upon a great white horse with eyes that burn like coal embers, trailing scrolls and tassels. Each wears the finest silks, one tall and in white, sporting stern and royal features over a narrow and lengthy mustache and beard, bears a naginata spear sparking with lightning that pulses in harmony with the hooves of the great steed he rides. Behind him in black is a much bulkier figure with a seven bladed sword at his waist who's blade seems a scar through the dim world, painful to look upon. It matches his eyes.

Landing lightly behind you is a woman in flowing red and white robes like those of a temple maiden, but by the look on her stern but beautiful face she does not bow before another. In her hands is an archaic lacquered bow with a shaft of sunlight nocked upon it. Her eyes literally burn with searing flames, white hot, and then you realize it is through her shut lids.

The one with the spear speaks first. 'Who are you, outsiders that would defile our realm?,' and his voice booms with thunder and menace

The on with the bow is Amaterasu, goddess of the sun. The one with the spear is Susano-O-No-Mikoto herald of the storms. The last is Tsukuyomi, who inherited the earth and moon. They are the three children of Izanagi and caretakers and guardians of her realm.

LoyalPaladin
2016-10-12, 01:28 PM
Tenzan

Smiling, Tenzan quips. "Well this is a nice change of pace." He steps a foot or so in front of the rest of the 'party', taking a place between them and the divine. "My name is Tenzan Ametsuchi, though I suspect you already knew that. I am no outsider to this realm." Tenzan's voice is stern and without fear, one of a practiced warlord. His smile does not waver. "We seek council with your mother."

"Is your mommy home?" :smallamused:

Feathersnow
2016-10-12, 05:51 PM
The hooded figure reacts with some shock, but, on balance, this was what the best she could have hope for. She raises her hands in what she assumes is a conciliatory gesture.

For my part, I wish only to talk. A great sage led me to believe that, by standing next to these people, I might attract your attention faster. The oracle thought it a jest to put me next to those who would draw the ire of this realm's authority. Neither I, nor my Provider, meant offense.

Snowbluff
2016-10-12, 08:10 PM
Tempest and Lamia Lamina

"My name is not important," Tempest says.

"Wait, wasn't it?" Lamina asks.

"No, not right now."

[roll0] reli

Breitheamh
2016-10-12, 09:11 PM
Macsen listens to his companions' vastly different responses to these newcomers, trying to take his cues from them, and serving mostly just to get more confused with their situation. His mind races, trying to decide on the proper tactic.

Okay, so these people are clearly powerful, but also used to intimidating everyone they meet. Tread carefully, Macsen.

Tenzan seems to have the best idea of what's going on right now; take your cues from him.

He decides to go with Tenzan's confident but polite response, as it seems somewhat more political than groveling or defying.

"My name is Macsen Wledig, and I came here not to defile but as part of a journey of great importance to me. Toward that end, I seek an audience with Izanami, the Queen of this realm." The warrior's posture and voice betray no hint of fear, because there is none. These beings may be powerful, but Macsen had faced powerful foes before, and so far none of them had proven to be invincible.

DoctorGlock
2016-10-20, 01:54 PM
The large squat man bristles in the manner of one accustomed to grovelling as his hand drops to the hilt of the seven bladed sword, fury burning apparent in his eyes. Almost imperceptibly the tall one with the spear moves his own to stay his brother's hand before stepping forward of the group.

'You will have to forgive the abrupt manner of our arrival,' he says in a voice a smooth as silk and so smooth it's oily. 'We are not accustomed to entertaining guests, particularly not outsiders.'

'We like to keep it that way,' the larger one growls from behind.

'Of course we recognize one so ancient and faithful among the fallen,' the woman interjects just as smoothly as the tall, thin man. 'But it is just as uncommon for favors to be granted. All are equal in this realm,' she says with a beatific smile that does not touch her blazing eyes. 'Most commonly, when the living steal their way in they do not wish to draw the attention of our dread mother.'

'I prefer it that way. I prefer to handle thieves myself,' growls the large man again. The blades of his sword seem to shimmer in tune with his eyes as that.

Diplomacy

Well, they haven't attacked yet

They seem to come from a very traditional culture, and hospitality is taken quite seriously. The word 'Guest', even if spoken inadvertently affords certain protections.

BelGareth
2016-10-20, 06:18 PM
Damascus had been silent up until this point, he was watching them all, with a tilted head, which seemed to be his thing.

He floated lazily forward, slowly, but not enough to seem arrogant or obtuse. He bowed low to them and on the way back up, a genuine smile was plastered on his face.

<Oh Dam...> Damascus mentally cut her off, for once, shutting the voices off in his head.

"My apologies for the hasty and somewhat obtuse method of acquiring your presence, we all gathered here to obtain a meeting, a conference if you will, with the Lady Izanami. We have all arrived, at the same time, more than providence I would suggest, to such an endeavor, and we were without an immediate method of communiqué." he turned towards Tempest and Tenzan and shrugged his shoulders slightly "and thus we were forced to ruminate on...ulterior methods of...attention seeking." He bows his head ever so slightly, managing to even force a little blush to his cheeks "I apologize for the ruse, our motives are a mixture of altruism and conjecture, for we do not know what is going on, and well, when that happens, people tend to get a little panicky." he smiles slightly "I formally request an audience with your mother as guests to her court, so that we may apologize in person, and entreat upon her as she wills."

[roll0]
Damascus has tongues and telepathy, so everyone will understand.

DoctorGlock
2016-10-23, 01:11 PM
Amaterasu and Susano-O exchanged the faintest of glances as some meaning passed between them. Behind them, Tsukuyomi spat on the ground. 'You said 'guest,' not me.'

The woman silenced him again with a faint gesture. 'Of course, the journey must have been long and difficult, and it would be most remiss of us not to offer food, drink and lodgings while we await our Dread Mother's decree. My noble brother, Susano-O,' she says, gesturing at the tall and regal man in his finery once more, 'can call up some steeds for your use, should you so desire.'

The Laws of Hospitality:

The Hosts must offer the following: Food, accommodation, and drink for a night. They cannot offer violence, threat, harm or insult unless provoked.

The guests must also abide by strict laws. They can offer no insult, turn down no offer of hospitality lest it be interpreted as an insult, nor can they provoke the hosts into any of the same. To break the laws of hospitality (either party) invites terrible retribution.

LoyalPaladin
2016-10-24, 10:35 AM
Tenzan

"That is most generous of you." Tenzan bows politely. "I would happily accept a steed." Tenzan will relay the Rules of Hospitality via his telepathy to his 'team'.

Feathersnow
2016-10-24, 08:49 PM
The hooded figure nods. Thank you, gracious lord and noble lady. I would be honored to receive your hospitality as we await Your Dread Mother's decree, and to ride the mount you provide to await Her word.
As the emissary of Ilesensine, I act as plenipotentiary in this acceptance of hospitality and offer thanks for it.
Well, that could have gone a lot worse. Maybe Grelv knew what he was doing, after all. Hopefully, getting in and acknowledged as guests was the easy part. Some part of her doubted it. The same part that called itself "Mari" and who was pretty upset with being hosted by a Prince of Hell.

Breitheamh
2016-10-25, 09:49 AM
Macsen winces momentarily at Tenzan's telepathy, but understands the purpose well enough.

"A steed would be very much appreciated. Thank you," he says, following Tenzan's lead and giving a bow, though it's not as deep or courtly as the red-eyed man's.

DoctorGlock
2016-10-29, 03:57 AM
Up through the Ashes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KveZ-7kmZ9k)

Susano-O raises his spear skywards and all around massive thunderbolts fall with explosive force, cratering the dunes in a hemisphere about the group. When the sands fall again each crater bears a steed that is a clone of the god's own.

Amaterasu speaks first. 'I must depart and let know our dread mother that we entertain guests. I shall greet you upon your arrival,' she says and then is gone in the flash of another sunbeam.

'Let's play at tea party then,' Tsukuyomi spits as he brutally hauls himself onto a horse's back. Susano-O is silent as he gracefully mounts in front of his brother, face unreadable.

As you mount, the beasts under you only feel like horses in seeming, feeling more like coiled lightning primed to strike, menace held in potential. Too dry and hot and light to be real, covered by an array of impressive silks. Before anyone can remark potential releases with fury and the horses are revealed for what they are and you all ride the lightning heavenwards in eerie silence, just ahead of your own thunder. Absent is the rushing of wind, the air around immolated by the heat of your steeds' fury, yet you are untouched by it.

As you spark from dim grey cloud to dim grey cloud the scale of the landscape beneath is revealed. The dunes stretch for a seeming eternity, broken by nothing more than the occasional spire of jagged razorlike stone. Here and there caravans of decrepit figures in forgotten tatters dredge about the misery and a monstrous and twisted figure can be seen stalking the wastes. You realize how one can spend an eternity searching here and come up empty handed. With no sense of time, you do not know if hours or days go by as you pass at the speed of lightning, and the same patterns repeat. The sifting dunes, the misery of decay. Endless. Ceasless. Eternal.

There!

On the horizon, against the dim ashen skies you can see a black speck, growing fast. As the lightning under you arc and curves you draw close enough to make out details. A vast fortress, its enormity dwarfing any seen in any mortal world, drawn by seven great serpents through the sky, each a mile in length and bearing the reek of rot and disease upon its black and undead form. On great adamantine chains thicker than an ox team is the necropolis city of Izanami. It is carved of black stone, studded with shrine-gates and piles of sloping roofs all studded with lines of paper lanterns each glowing with a sickly green light.

You arc under it, seeing the shattered basalt cliffs of what looks for all the world like an overturned mountain, pockmarked by countless caverns. In those gaping toothless mouths skeletal figures can be seen beckoning or playing ghastly instruments of bone, drawing in countless wisps of ephemeral light from the sands below, and with a sickly realization you know that those are memories, all being stolen and pilfered from the dead for the benefit of one.

And in that moment you are behind the city, arcing off another cloud, and now descending, descending oh so fast for a patch of black and withered grass under stunted trees. And while the horses touch down with a flash and moments later a thunder that shakes the trees, blasting what little black bark remained about the courtyard the landing is impossibly smooth.

Stepping through a shrine gate to greet you comes Amaterasu, now wearing an ornate kimono of finest silks, looking beautiful and radiant as the dawn. She is flanked by an entourage of the dead, each wearing rich but tattered and dusty robes and tarnished jewelry under a wide conical hat with kanji-bearing seals and scrolls attached. Behind her the red sun glares about the gilded crenelations of the city behind her, casting long shadows around you.

'Brothers and honored guests, I trust your journey was a pleasant one. I have borne word to the great palace,' she says, and can only refer to the central building of the gargantuan flying city, an obsidian shiro castle a quarter mile high. 'And our dread mother will gladly dine with us. Shall I show you our city, honored guests, or do you desire to makes yourselves ready in the accommodations we have prepared?

Feathersnow
2016-10-29, 10:02 AM
The figure seemed to palpably dislike the ride, although she, of course, avoids any clear outward sign, and does her best to remain silent. So bleakso dry/so boring
The palace of the Dread Lady is truly impressive, both sides of the figure's mind admire, professionally at least, the ways it inspires dread and awe in all who see it. If this Devil Prince can be persuaded to help in the ongoing crisis, she would surely be a great boon to the multiverse.

After reaching the palace/city/chariot proper, neither Ulpshuonoomn nor Mari have the slightest desire to see more of this horrible place than they absolutely have to, and both are grateful for a way to avoid it without insulting their hosts.
The figure says- Thank you Lady Amaterasu, for my part, I would prefer to make ready and wait in the accommodations you have mentioned and graciously offered.

Snowbluff
2016-10-29, 10:49 AM
Tempest and Lamia Lamina

"We concur," Lamina says.

Breitheamh
2016-10-31, 03:11 PM
Macsen thinks for a moment, then says, "A tour might be nice. I have no need to primp and preen. I come as I am."

DoctorGlock
2016-11-03, 09:32 AM
'I will gladly show you to your lodgings then, and should any desire to see the city I shall arrange an escort from there so that you know to meet once more,' she says graciously. 'Follow and enjoy the hospitality of our home,' she says as she turns to lead you to the great fortress.

You pass under shrine-gates of obsidian and over arched bridges of petrified wood. Now and then Amaterasu points out some minor trivia or architecture, or a curiosity like the ghostly blossoms that stud the vast and withered trees like the cherry blossoms Tenzan well remembers. Before long you reach the gaping gates of the fortress, wide like a devouring maw leading into the shadows within. Amaterasu raises a hand and speaks a command and suddenly hundreds of sconces erupt with the memory of light, strong and unfaltering, illuminating untold riches within.

The entry is over carpeting worth any three small kingdoms you knows, and art and statues of forgotten peoples line the halls, a walk through the castle more akin to a trip through time. Again your guide points out such minor trivias, attributing the works to cultures you have never heard of, to names that have no meaning. Passing through a vibrant hot spring bath house, you finally come to quarters that would put any lord to shame, and makes the wealth outside look like a paupers hut.

'Here you are,' she says, gesturing to the impossibly opulent quarters. 'Lodging fit for a god. But you are of the living, surely you would like some true light instead of wan memory,' she adds, drawing wide a heavy curtain, and outside, above the ashen clouds the unobstructed light of the red sun blasts through the window, the sun impossibly close now, it's light obliterating every shadow from the room, almost blinding-- but not quite you realize, and impossibly so, before you feel the wave of divine magic that comes with it.

Her sun, you realize.

'And now that we cannot be overhead, I'm afraid I must point out the obvious. My brother, Tsukuyomi, desires to kill you all.'

LoyalPaladin
2016-11-03, 09:56 AM
Tenzan Ametsuchi

A grin spreads across Tenzan's face. "Oh ho ho..." Amusement in his tone at her slyness. "He would not be the first, my lady. I am sure he will not be the last." He crosses his arms. "What do you want to do, lady of the sun?" He raises an eyebrow quizzically.

Snowbluff
2016-11-03, 11:18 AM
Tempest and Lamia Lamina

Lamia gasps. "What? But we haven't done anything yet!"

"Hush, poppet," Tempest tells the snake. "Of course, this puts us in an awkward situation. Fighting a god is a terrible business, especially if we seek the wisdom of his mother."

"You're not mad?" Lamia asks nervously.

"Please, he probably has his reasons, I hope," Tempest says while shrugging. "I do not wish to dawdle here. I've a bigger picture to consider. Although, I do wonder if we can beseech the great Susano-O for his blessing and aid. I must say I was swayed by his style and technique."

DoctorGlock
2016-11-03, 01:25 PM
'I stand against my brother in these matters,' Amaterasu says. 'We are all bound by tradition, but his loyalty to duty has been twisted into something predatory at a time it can be ill afforded. The multiverse is ending,' she says matter of factly. 'New souls bring with them disturbing whispers, and more troubling are some souls that come warped, hollow and wrong in ways even I cannot place, and aside from our Dread Mother there is no better expert than I. But my influence is limited beyond these halls. You are of the living powerful enough to breach these halls or of the dead strong enough to preserve your self,' she says as she wheels to face you, robes spiraling. 'That is what I want, Tenzan of Clan Ametsuchi, agents who can travel to the very edge of creation and find answers!'

'But there is more of course,' she says as she turns back towards the window to gaze into her sun once more. 'You must also convince my elder brother, Susano-O. That is imperative. Our counsel will outweigh Tsukuyomi's and Mother may yet help you. Should Susano-O side with my younger brother... then you will not leave these halls.

'You are under the aegis of hospitality, but that is far less absolute than its face. Even now my brother seeks to engineer the night that he may have cause to claim you have forfeit the aegis. I know how his mind works, and he will have three ploys Should you defeat them all in turn, it shows that you have cunning which will impress Susano-O and in turn make Tsukuyomi's counsel seem foolish. For your benefit, I have already deflected the first ploy.

'The second is most cunning. No guest may refuse to partake of a feast set by the host, yet to partake of the food of the dead will trap the living in the realm. You will have to find a way around that.

'I cannot foresee what the third attack will be, but hope that you have the wherewithal to follow through.

Snowbluff
2016-11-03, 05:27 PM
Tempest and Lamia Lamina

Tempest ponders the problem. "Hm... if it's a planar effect, I can avoid it personally. Given varying definitions of dead, I can use epic magic to ward off all sorts of things. However, a more cunning method may be interfering as far back as the kitchen, either identifying the offending foods or removing them from the menu altogether."

"If need be, I can eat a whole feast," Lamia says sadly. "Of course, I'd be stuck, but Tempest would be obliged to replace me."

Tempest slaps his hands to face. "I don't need to eat in the first place. That's... aggravating to say the least." Regardless, he formally bows to Amaterasu. "I thank you deeply for your aid."

Know planes: [roll0]
I'll be needing the precise mechanism, and if it can be avoided with Deathward (from an epic slot), Avoid Planar Effects (and similiar), and how to identify food of the plane.

Sense Motive [roll1]

Feathersnow
2016-11-04, 09:03 PM
But... I don't eat food. I'm not sure I even can, physically...
I am almost curious to see what he offers me. Thank you for this intelligence, noble host.

I somehow imagined that being a divine emissary would involve, sometimes, people actually being happy to see me, thinks Ulspshuonoomn.
People loved me when I worked for Kord... I wonder what is different now,thinks a second thought, with biting sarcasm.

DoctorGlock
2016-11-06, 01:19 PM
'It must be by your own cunning then that you surpass the last two trials, and I trust you will not let me down,' she says, giving a small bow. 'As to the first trial,' she trails off, eyes rolling, as the light dims and the door behind the group slams open, revealing Tsukoyomi's red and flushed face. Trailing behind him, somber and impassive is Susano-O.

'My dear, fair sister,' he blurts, 'I am glad we got here before these outsiders (and the word he uses is not far from barbarian, and through his accent it is very difficult to what he said) could try anything unseemly to your divine presence,' he says, hand resting on the eerily shifting hilt of his sword.

'Honorable brother,' she says, her cultured voice not betraying a hint of contempt, 'your mindfulness is much appreciated but not needed, our fine guests have been paragons of civility.'

'Ah, but dear sister, by now it is known that you were along with these... guests, and rumor fleets from tongue to tongue. It is the appearance of of matters. The guests have dishonored you with these foul rumors, offering grave insult to your personage.'

Undisguised glee dances through his eyes as his fingers caress the hilt of the sword. Behind him, even Susano-O looks a little disturbed, though by the display or the allegations is anyone's guess.

'Well, what have you to say for yourselves, who have caused this insult,' the fat god spits.

Snowbluff
2016-11-06, 02:12 PM
Tempest and Lamia Lamina

"Oh my. Tempest, don't-" Lamina starts to say, but Tempest puts a finger to her little snake lips.

"Hail, fair and magnanimous Susano-0. I did have not have the opportunity to say so, earlier, but I love your work. I've always had a penchant for lightning," Tempest starts, smiling and politely bowing. "And greetings, Tsukoyomi. Do you intend to offend? My person is being attacked by loaded questions, and my body threatened by the fingers on your blade. I hope this does not become you. Do I misinterpret the laws of hospitality of this land? I have spoken no words of insult to the incandescent Amaterasu, and no one here believes I did," he continues with a polite tone, but his statement demonstrates his displeasure. "So, for what imagined sleight do I stand here, insulted?"

Breitheamh
2016-11-06, 02:31 PM
After Tempest speaks, Macsen tries his hand at passive-aggressive flattery.

He bows low, one leg crossed over the other, and both hands behind his back, as courtly as he can think to act.

"Oh, great and powerful divine one, he says, addressing Tsukoyomi. "I deeply regret any unintentional insult I may have caused by my mere presence. In my ignorance I had never thought that anyone so foolishly believed we could overpower and dishonor one as great as Amaterasu, nor that such mighty power as you hold could be swayed by the rumors of inferior beings. It is clear to me now that your love for your subjects and your sister is so vast that the worries of your underlings and such an affront to your sister's honor could not be ignored. Truly you are wise and just beyond mortal understanding."

DoctorGlock
2016-11-06, 03:12 PM
Before the tension in the room has a chance to ignite, Amaterasu's soothing voice breaks out again. 'Your concern for me is most meritorious, but I meant before that I was not alone, and my most trusted known vassal was at hand to ensure that there would be no possible appearance of impropriety,' she says, and the smoothest divine veil you ever saw lifts, revealing a small side room to the guests' quarters, occupied by a single figure in traditional dress with a simple bow slung across his back. 'Amras can easily vouch for all. No threats nor insults could be interpreted by any side, dear brother, as you only acted from a position of care and protection.'

Susano-O fixes his sister with a long and pensive glance.

He knows That look is a look that says 'I know exactly what you are playing at and I don't know if I approve'

Nightraiderx
2016-11-06, 03:46 PM
And from the small room emerged a tall and elegant elf, his skin gray but smooth. His long blonde hair tucked in a neat pony tail, and wearing quite elegant but fitting white and gold robes. His step had an unearthly grace about him, and on his back was a beautiful golden bow with white cloud-like swirls on it. As he walked towards the group he said in a soft voice. "That is correct gracious Sensei Amaterasu, I have been observing the newcomers since they have been here to make sure." He lifts his right arm and a raven flies through the window perching on his arm. He coos the bird and pets him gently. "BOB has also been keeping an eye on our honored guests. Amras turns to the group bowing before them and looking at them with steel blue eyes, "I am Amras Eärfalas, and I can testify that these people have been nothing less than courteous since they have made their way here."

LoyalPaladin
2016-11-07, 10:46 AM
Tenzan Ametsuchi

Taking in all events and conversations with his eyes, he grins when the elf emerges from his quarters. "Oh ho ho." He crosses his arms. "You have to admit, your sister is quite clever. As a brother myself, I can sympathize with you greatly." He nods, his long hair rippling with his every movement.

DoctorGlock
2016-11-13, 03:03 PM
'It seems I was hasty in my suspicions, dear sister and honorable guests,' Tsukuyomi says with a barely contained snarl as he is forced to apologize. 'I will not doubt your judgement in such matters again. I must go to organize the servants for the great feast,' he spits out as he turns on his heel and marches out. Susano-O continues to gaze at his sister for another long moment as some unheard communications seems to pass between them before he to turns to leave in a graceful whirl of silks.

'As I said, the first test I have navigated for you,' Amaterasu continues. And even now Tsukuyomi's judgment falls in Susano-O's eyes. My vassal can show you about to aid in the tasks ahead. I too must leave to prepare, for I cannot be seen to directly interfere. With that in mind, my presence at the preparations will keep my brother from roaming to thwart you,' she says, and then the regally exits the room as well, leaving you alone with Amras.

Who is here/what are you doing?

Nightraiderx
2016-11-13, 10:23 PM
As Amatersu leaves, Amras looks over the assorted group with amusement, he turns to Tenzan.
"Ah, Tenzan it has been a long time since you have been here. It seems fate has brought us together for
a reunion." he smirks and nods while looking at the others. "So, what is it that each of you seek coming here? I take that you haven't traveled long together or am I wrong?" Amras crosses his arms listening diligently.

Snowbluff
2016-11-14, 12:47 AM
Tempest and Lamia Lamina

"Again, we thank you Amaterasu. If only we could be so grossly incandescent," Lamia says.

"I am Tempest, and this is Ms. Lamia Lamina. We're concerned about the second challenge. I wish to examine the food for the meal," Tempest says to Amras.

Sense Motive on Tsukuyomi, confirming suspicions about next trial [roll0]

LoyalPaladin
2016-11-14, 11:17 AM
Tenzan Ametsuchi

"Indeed." Tenzan smirks, taking a position at Amras' side. "We've journeyed together for less than a cycle. Though I suspect this group quite capable." His eyes looking each member of the group up and down.

Is Lamina a walking cameo machine?

Breitheamh
2016-11-14, 04:51 PM
Macsen smiles out of the corner of his mouth at Amaterasu's cleverness.

"I go by Macsen," he says to Amras. "I have come to right the wrongs of the world, and I'd rather not get into more detail than that, right now," he continues, eyeing the walls suspiciously.

Feathersnow
2016-11-15, 12:42 PM
The robed figure speaks deliberately, as though unsure how to put the best face on something without being deceptive to the point of giving offense.

I seek to address the great calamity that is tearing at the great wheel. You may know of this same crisis in a different context. I am empowered through faith in a Great God to act in this, and was sent to this specific place by an oracle. Desire is an illusion created to take credit for destiny, but it is my lot to see the crisis righted, for the good of all. (mumbled retort).
I am know by multiple names, but Mari is the one most have called me.

Nightraiderx
2016-11-16, 10:13 PM
Amras turns to Tempest and Lamia, giving them a smirk. "I'm sure you fear Sunsan-O's cooking?" Amras gives a little chuckle to himself. "Very well I will guide you all to the dining room." Noticing Tenzan move beside him his grace leaves him for a second as he ruffles Tenzan's hair in a little brother fashion. "You sure pick up interesting company outside the palace walls and Mascen was it? Amras turns his head over to him, Don't worry the walls won't eat you or anything I promise and on a noble quest? I'll be glad to hear you on a later period of time."
He turns to Mari "Desire may feel to be an illusion but it is also one of the greatest engines of prophecy. Without desire I feel prophecy may err more on the boring side." He gives a wink. Turning to the blackened skinned smoldering man, "You seem quite quiet there sir, are you coming along for the tour?

Feathersnow
2016-11-18, 09:08 PM
"Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." Quotes the figure. Mortals are beings of desires and drives, and they are the forces that shape history. In that sense, destiny, desires, individuals, and history, all are different conceptualizations of the same reality. You have given me much to think about, I thank you, and hope to see you at the reception.

Snowbluff
2016-11-23, 12:00 AM
Tempest and Lamina

"I fear it will leave us homesick," Lamia says. Her mouth opens wide, miming a laugh at her own pun.

"It's imperative that we do not allow ourselves to become trapped. We must continue on our journey once we learn what we need to know," Tempest continues.

DoctorGlock
2016-11-26, 10:32 AM
The palace is a hub of activity. Opulently dressed dead fret to an fro about unknown tasks, and few seem to notice you as Amras leads you through the bowels of the obsidian palace. The winding passages pass by vast vaults sealed with gates of adamant and iron and massive clanking treadmill wheels manned by the unthinking dead, pulsing with ephemeral wisps of energy around their hubs as the spool together the harvested memories of the plane to funnel them to only Izanami knows where. All about are ancient suits of plate, a skeletal form inhabiting it unmoving, though whether they are guardians or decorations you cannot discern, for they give off no hint of energy.

Finally you come upon an enormous kitchen manned by dozen of eyeless forms. They don't notice you enter, or so it seems, intent only at the task at hand. They reach up to empty shelves to grasp memories of food that materialize and gain substance as they are whisked about the kitchen and in the center over a roaring firepit the memory of an oxen team roasts and the scent and heat hits you in a tangible wave.

Dead and memories the kitchen staff may be, but they sure know their craft.

LoyalPaladin
2016-11-28, 10:49 AM
Tenzan Ametsuchi

Tenzan fixes his hair and gives Amras a look of disapproval when he ruffles his hair. When they make their way to the dining room, Tenzan cracks a small smile. "It has been some time since I've eaten anything of note." He shrugs. "You could even say I'm looking forward to this meal."

Nightraiderx
2016-11-28, 02:23 PM
"These guys are most easily the best in their craft. However they really aren't one for idle conversation.... or any really. More like undead food zombie machines. As you see since they develop from thought, only really two ways to tamper with the food, one affect it as it's coming out or somehow have one of these guys change course and make something not intended. The latter I'm not sure how they would go about that." Amras pets BOB, who is still perched on his arm.

Snowbluff
2016-11-28, 02:28 PM
Tempest and Lamia Lamina

Tempest shrugs. "I can summon a meal, if I must."

Breitheamh
2016-11-29, 10:27 AM
Macsen raises an eyebrow at Tempest. "Wouldn't that be considered rude? They put a meal before us and you just summon your own?"

He thinks for a minute, scratching his chin, and then his eyes light up. "Could we summon a meal here and now and convince the staff to serve it instead of what they've prepared?"

Nightraiderx
2016-12-02, 02:03 PM
"Summoned food is quite a different texture than memory foodstuffs and would be very obvious.
However, there may be a way to convince the staff to use your food memories..." Amras trails the last sentence
being all cheeky about it.

BelGareth
2016-12-24, 10:24 PM
Alighting on the lightning horse, he smiled briefly.

<Oooh, this is interesting, I wander how he did this? Probably a low level conjuration spell slightly modified...>
<oh be quiet, we're not here to peruse the magical abilities of these people!>
<Ah, but it definitely helps us theorize their powers if a conflict is needed>
<Fair point Zuriel, fair point.>

Damascus had been silent again, only watching and slowly smoldering as he watched the circus show trapse along before him. He could sense the dislike, sense the palpable anger and violence from Susano-O, at least he knew how he felt, and his intentions, Tsukuyomi was more of an interesting being to him, more of an enigma.

He floated lazily as they were taken through out the fortress, heading to the kitchens.

<Oh my> Desharis piped up as they moved throughout the fortress

Damascus was frowning, it was rather rude to have your guests eat food designed for the dead, shouldn't they provide appropriate food for their guests? I wander if we can call upon the rules of being a guest to fix that? He thought to himself.

"Perhaps the rules of being a host would be sufficient to change the food to allow us to live. I believe, it's impolite to offer deadly food to guests." He says suddenly, off handedly.

<Oh clever Dam, play upon the hosts need to be appropriate.>

Snowbluff
2016-12-27, 02:47 PM
"I agree, the real stuff I would make would be much better," Tempest says offhandedly.

"We have considered that, Damascus," Lamia tells him, nuzzling him on the cheek. "It's rules limbo. I f we complain, wouldn't that be disrespecting their hospitality?"

Nightraiderx
2016-12-27, 02:51 PM
"hm, I suppose you make a point there, I've been here so long I'm not really sure if I'm living or dead. I didn't come here by the normal means of death but it's been so long. Alright I can see all of you are worried about the food, I'll talk with the head chef to switch out the food, make it a kind of surprise treatment for Susano-O and Sensei." Amras walks into another room where the head chef is and asks to see if the staff would serve a special made meal by the visitors and they would like to treat us to a different kind of meal.

DoctorGlock
2016-12-27, 03:46 PM
The Gourmand

The kitchens are unfamiliar to Amras-- sure, he had been there before, but it was always a little different, always remembered somewhat differently. And certainly he had never visit the Gourmand himself, if it even was a he. But always beckoning was the gates of adamant at the rear of the kitchen, sealed with a gold skull mask and a sussurus of whispers. You approach the dread gates, reaching out to them.

They are as cold as death. The whispering intensifies as your living touch draws near and a faint creaking can be heard beyond them.

But they open at your touch, and a flood of chilling shadows washes over your feet like ink as you cross the threshold into a darkness lit by wan and sullen blue flames atop black tallows.

It's a long hall, and whispering dead flit by, ghostly spirits reaching out to you and dissipating in the frozen air. As you proceed the creaking grows louder, and the walls and tallows are slick with a coruscating sheen like oil, but moving as if alive. Away from you. Down the hall.

And there-- a basin of black stone! A basalt throne before a stony slab, and in it a gaunt horror, remnants of gaunt grey flesh stretched over its massive ribcage as six skeletal arms weave to and fro, strands of oily light drawn from stone cylinders alight with that eerie iridescence.

Memories. Stolen from the dead.

The thing is hunched over, and you see it is pinned to the throne by ancient iron nails like swords. It has no face, it's skull ends above the jaw, filled by whirling smokiness through which the occasional hint of too many eyes can be seen.

Before your eyes, you see it weave from memory a succulent roast ox, before it shimmers away.

Back in the kitchen, the roast ox in the firepit becomes solid, and the enticing scents becomes almost overwhelming.

Nightraiderx
2016-12-31, 08:01 PM
"Um.. head chef the visitors that have come to eat with us tonight have a special request and they would like to make the meal for us out of gratitude. Would that b-be ok by you?" Amras bows respectfully a bit creeped out something like this guy was actually in the palace. Reminds him of the first time he ever snuck in here...

DoctorGlock
2017-01-04, 04:49 AM
The thing turns it neck slightly to 'face' Amras and lets out a horrible gurgle as a trail of viscous oily black ichor drips from its jaw onto the floor where it begins to writhe and screech, and images can be seen flitting through it like deranged incandescence. Something about it draws with a fell beckoning.

The thing resumes it's weaving, and before you an enormous platter of fine sushi begins to coalesce.

DoctorGlock
2017-01-10, 11:01 AM
Suddenly the whole room-- no, you can feel it beyond the room, the whole citadel, maybe even more-- lurches and shudders and a mind splitting shriek, like rusty steel on the slate of the soul shoots through the citadel. For a short moment the room seems to compress to impossible smallness and your visions blurs, then everything returns to normal.

Almost normal. The rhythmic clanking and churning that permeated the citadel is gone, leaving a deafening silence in its wake.

The food the chef was weaving has vanished, replaced rotting offal and thorny bones twined and arcing like rose vines. The strands of scintillating light are gone and its weaving hands are empty.

Its lower jaw drops open and a keeing wail fills the room and the stone begins to crack as the thing throws itself at its piercings.

That's not what you see. Your senses are different, attuned to worlds utterly alien to your own, beyond the reach of your planes. From the moment you entered the kitchen you felt a subtle wrongness, of being watched, and during that moment of compressing the room was filled with countless howling voices. They had no language, but their intention was unmistakable. They want IN

Snowbluff
2017-01-10, 12:19 PM
Tempest looks around, pointing at the strange occurrences. "Is this normal? I have to admit, I am unfamiliar with the customs around here, and where I am from, we grew food. It's a little strange."

"I don't think this is supposed to happen, sir," Lamia says. She tightens her grip on her master reflexively.

"Hm, maybe you're right. It is a little out of place, or at the very least a gauche choice of decor." Tempest strokes his chin as he examines what has happened to the chef.

Knowledge rolls! Dungeoneering, then Planes.
[roll0]
[roll1]
+5 if it's a monster.

Feathersnow
2017-01-14, 06:41 PM
The hooded figure seems unmoved. This is not a living humanoid's head. It wouldn't even be food to any normal sort of humanoid. As is usually the case, inaction is the best course. I hate you.

DoctorGlock
2017-01-16, 12:42 PM
As you begin to chatter among yourselves the air stirs and armored figures appear in puffs of dark smoke. Each wears an ornate set of black laquered armor with gold trim, and blackened skulls can be seen underneath their wide flared helms. Twin curved swords are sheathed on each one's back, and each bears a twin pronged spear, leveled at the howling thing.

One in a more ornate suit with a half mask over the lower part of his skull turns to you.

'I ask that that come with us, honored guests. Our dread lady demands your presence. Immediately.'

From outsite the passageway you can hear a horrible warbling howl begin to oscilate, and the room seems to compress and warp around you again as the howling from the trapped thing escalates to a mind hurting shriek.

And that's when the nails holding it to the stony throne break.

The thing surges forward, long limbs snapping forward like threshing scythes, tearing through armor like smoke and ripping out strans of scintillating oily light even as the figures inside crumble to dust. Dripping image filled ichor from its jaws it surges forward...

LoyalPaladin
2017-01-16, 12:56 PM
Tenzan Ametsuchi

"Well then. Best not keep our lovely lady in waiting." Tenzan smiles coyly, following the armored guard.

BelGareth
2017-01-16, 05:52 PM
Damascus followed and studied the strange undead head chief with interest, his head was slanted sideways as he regarded the strange creature, narrowing his eyes, something seemed off as he bobbed in the air, taking the in the various assorted smells, and odors from the ghostly food that appeared, disappeared and then moved on.

And then, all of a sudden things changed, his view across multiple worlds beyond his own, portrayed a different thing entirely, countless voices, howling, and gnashing, angry and passionate. And they wanted IN.

<Why on earth would they want IN?> Gaea quipped

It was too late for a warning however, as the guards popped before them, and the head cook attacked them, free of its strange bondage, as if it were possessed of something other than it’s previous demeanor, something entirely sinister, and deadly.

Something is wrong. He says quickly, being as obvious as ever, but his human nature needing to speak, to lay out events in a sequential order Spirits, lots of them, they want in, and I think they just got in, he points at the creature attacking the guards Through him!

He quickly makes a curt gesture, and A shimmering emerald cage of force erupts around the monster, attempting to trap in it place. He then snaps his fingers, and summons a small ornate bow, arms recurved back almost the same length as they were long, a shimmering arrow of pure white light illuminating the room, ready in his capable fingers if the monster frees itself.

[roll0]
Swift action: cast quickened forcecage, 10ft windowless cell on the head chief.
Standard: ready attack on it if it escapes
(Splitting, so two attacks)
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]

LoyalPaladin
2017-01-16, 06:03 PM
Tenzan Ametsuchi

The beast launches forward and is delayed by the force cage, Tenzan takes his battle stance and readies for it when it draws near!

Forgive me if something is off. It's been a long time since I made this guy. :smallfrown:

Initiative
[roll0]

Actions
Full-Round: Held to attack the creature when it gets in range.
Immediate: Nerveskitter
Move: None
Standard: None
Swift: None

Quicken: Greater Mighty Wallop

Attack One (Unarmed Strike/Greater Mighty Wallop)
Attack
[roll1]
Damage
[roll2] (Bludgeoning)

Critical Confirm (-/x2)
Attack
[roll3]
Damage
[roll4] (Bludgeoning)

Attack Two (Unarmed Strike/Greater Mighty Wallop)
Attack
[roll5]
Damage
[roll6] (Bludgeoning)

Critical Confirm (-/x2)
Attack
[roll7]
Damage
[roll8] (Bludgeoning)

Attack Three (Unarmed Strike/Greater Mighty Wallop)
Attack
[roll9]
Damage
[roll10] (Bludgeoning)

Critical Confirm (-/x2)
Attack
[roll11]
Damage
[roll12] (Bludgeoning)

Attack Four (Unarmed Strike/Greater Mighty Wallop)
Attack
[roll13]
Damage
[roll14] (Bludgeoning)

Critical Confirm (-/x2)
Attack
[roll15]
Damage
[roll16] (Bludgeoning)

First Flurry of Blows (Unarmed Strike/Greater Mighty Wallop)
Attack
[roll17]
Damage
[roll18] (Bludgeoning)

Critical Confirm (-/x2)
Attack
[roll19]
Damage
[roll20] (Bludgeoning)

Second Flurry of Blows (Unarmed Strike/Greater Mighty Wallop)
Attack
[roll21]
Damage
[roll22] (Bludgeoning)

Critical Confirm (-/x2)
Attack
[roll23]
Damage
[roll24] (Bludgeoning)

Snap Kick (Unarmed Strike/Greater Mighty Wallop)
Attack
[roll25]
Damage
[roll26] (Bludgeoning)

Critical Confirm (-/x2)
Attack
[roll27]
Damage
[roll28] (Bludgeoning)

Feathersnow
2017-01-17, 12:20 PM
They are trying to taunt us again. Just ignore it.
The hooded figure makes no offensive action, but she, not being sure of herself, manifests Spirit of War, considering the declared functionaries of this realm and its demigods friendly for this purpose.

Snowbluff
2017-01-17, 02:17 PM
Tempest and Lamia Lamina

"Oh. Indeed, that is troublesome," Tempest says.

He prepares a spell with an arcane gesture. The air hums audibly. The finishes as he brings his middle and index finger together. His skins burns at the finger tips.

Readying an action to cast Twinned Disintegrate (10th level slot), at CL 26, if the demon escapes. He takes [roll0] from reserves of strength.

Touch Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Spell Resistance [roll3]

Touch Attack [roll4]
Damage [roll5]
Spell Resistance [roll6]