PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Potential Feat

DracoKnight
2016-10-04, 01:14 PM
How powerful would this feat (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1YK-uZC) be, and would you allow it in your games?

I have a player who is playing a VHuman, and wants to be an animagus, like from Harry Potter.

Ruslan
2016-10-04, 01:17 PM
Question: is there a restriction on "no flying, no swimming", similar to low level druid?
If no restriction, definitely overpowered.

DracoKnight
2016-10-04, 01:26 PM
Question: is there a restriction on "no flying, no swimming", similar to low level druid?
If no restriction, definitely overpowered.

You follow the rules of Wild Shape, so yes there's the restriction.

ruy343
2016-10-04, 01:27 PM
I would skip the bonus to stats (no +1 to wisdom), but otherwise, it could be flavorful.

I think that the ability is powerful enough on its own, given that the new form could have new proficiencies and such that you don't have to start with. The fact that you can adopt that form only once per day is limiting, but I think that it's acceptable, given that this is something that could be picked up at level 1.

Alternately, you could assign a minimum level to the ability, and then allow a player to have 2 uses (starting at 4th level).

Aembrosia
2016-10-04, 01:27 PM
So they are wizard right? Having non scaling wildshape on a wizard doesnt alarm me. I would recommend visiting the i beleive transmutation archetype and seeing if you can ribbon it on the polymorph feature. If you are comfortable rewriting a synergy between these two abilities i know as a player i would be ecstatic.

Laurefindel
2016-10-04, 01:28 PM
How powerful would this feat (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1YK-uZC) be, and would you allow it in your games?

I have a player who is playing a VHuman, and wants to be an animagus, like from Harry Potter.

The feat does not specify whether it is usable at will or a number of times per day / long rest. Also, can you change animal each time or is it a fixed deal like in Harry Potter?

Ruslan
2016-10-04, 01:28 PM
I don't see a limit on times per day. Clarification needed.

Foxhound438
2016-10-04, 01:30 PM
doesn't see too wild or outlandish. Even as a half feat it would probably still be behind GWM/SS in pick rate and power level.

Joe the Rat
2016-10-04, 01:31 PM
Needs work.

A little more detail - do you turn into one of that beast, or a specific version of that beast (same markings each time, etc.)? Do you count as a shapechanger? Is there a size limit, or can you be a horse?

As is, your wildshape has a duration of 0, unless you are already a druid. The feat should say how long you can stay in wildshape - presumably either fixed (1 hour per "shift"), or half character level, rounded down. I might allow swimming, but not flying.

A single form (not as flexible), with limited duration (2 1-hour shifts between Rests) would be far from overpowered. If you go for a longer duration (half level), then drop the Wis bonus, and possibly add a prereq.

DracoKnight
2016-10-04, 02:06 PM
Added some clarifications.

Ruslan
2016-10-04, 02:09 PM
Seems fine. I would add "As an Action, you may transform ...", and it's good to go.

Foxhound438
2016-10-04, 03:19 PM
I don't think actual wild shape makes you a shapechanger, although where "rule of makes sense to me" usually applies there

Addaran
2016-10-04, 05:48 PM
Saw the new version (twice per short rest, one hour each time, CR 1/4) and it looks like a really fun feat. I'd love to take it on a fighter for some added utility.

Only thing i'm not sure is if it should be an half feat with the +1 wis or a full feat with just the ability to shapeshift.

Paeleus
2016-10-04, 06:00 PM

Is it possible to forgo v. Human and refer to the the Shifter race published in an early UA? I believe it is the Ebberon one.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-10-04, 06:10 PM
I think a full feat would be more appropriate than a half, for sure. You might also allow the new form to use your Proficiency bonuses, though? That way it doesn't fall behind so drastically at higher levels.