PDA

View Full Version : D&D in SecondLife

Nogard
2007-07-10, 12:25 PM
If you're a resident of Second Life, I am putting together a gaming room. I have battlemaps, and minis and dice. I'm scripting more things for it all the time (working on a HUD character sheet that lets you or the DM do public or private skill rolls, attack rolls and saves with the click of a button.

If you are not a resident of Second Life... well... don't become one! You don't have that much free time... trust me.

Here is the SLURL for anyone who wants it. Keep in mind, this is just something i threw together for my game group so we can play again now that we live far apart... so its messy, like our game room.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Urbane/112/174/760

I am Nogard Codesmith in Second Life if you want to contact me about using the equipment.

ddmattg
2007-07-12, 11:47 PM
I've been playing with Nog on Second life - it goes pretty well, and for the newbie that I am, I'm enjoying it. Try it out.

Felius
2007-07-13, 12:29 AM
I never played Second Life, my D&D experience isn't very big (it's hard to find someone to play where I live, not for lack of trying), but I'm pretty familiar with the rules and really want to play?

May I join?

Dervag
2007-07-13, 12:48 AM
Is it OK if I find the idea of playing a roleplaying game inside a roleplaying game funny?

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-07-13, 12:56 AM
Is it OK if I find the idea of playing a roleplaying game inside a roleplaying game funny?

Its like one of those paintings that has the painting inside of it...

Kizara
2007-07-13, 02:00 AM
First off, this should be in recruitment.

Second, I'ma second that playing D&D inside the framework of a MMORPG is pretty funny.

BooBooSpooki
2007-07-13, 08:32 AM
I'd love to ! But I used up half my monthly cap on Second Life in a week. :smallfrown:

Nogard
2007-07-13, 09:13 AM
First off, this should be in recruitment.

Second, I'ma second that playing D&D inside the framework of a MMORPG is pretty funny.

You're right, it probably should be in recruitment, except i wasn't so much as looking for players, as offering players and DMs a way to hook up and play.

as for SL being an MMORPG... well, only kinda... its not really a "game", itrs more of a "place", and its an ideal place to play D&D.

Imagine... unlimited FREE minis of any kind, 3d battlemaps (that dont cost a cent (just some time), no matter how elaborate they are. We also have a teamspeak server so voice chat makes a nice addition. Soon SL will have voice integrated, so that will be nifty too. Built-in dice rollers (both public and private) keep people from cheating (i rolled a 20... honest). And I'm making new tools every day.

Come check it out. SL is free now too.

Leon
2007-07-13, 09:49 AM
Was in Second Life for all of a few hours, a few rather boring hours - idea's nice and all but its not what i'd sink all my time into, i'll stick to WoW

Nogard
2007-07-13, 10:26 AM
Was in Second Life for all of a few hours, a few rather boring hours - idea's nice and all but its not what i'd sink all my time into, i'll stick to WoW

Well, i don't want to turn this into a debate over the merits of Second Life vs Level Treadmill Games, since the point is, its a way for people to get together and play D&D from anywhere in the world, as if they were in the same room.

The really big appeal here should come to those who have always wanted a limitless supply of minis and detailed battlemaps without having to spend a fortune.

Anyways, I'm sure there are some SL residents on these forums. Come check it out next time you are inworld. Or IM Nogard Codesmith if you are interested in playing or running something there.

Leon
2007-07-13, 10:36 AM
I had a a big rebutal to that but lost it to the vagaries of the Internet

But maybe im just jaded and on a slower machine but it was really sluggish and clunky, Wow was probly a bad example but its not a "level treadmill" yes some people take the game to the extremes of it all but i know a number of people who are just happy to while away time about the world playing with famaliy and friends

bosssmiley
2007-07-13, 02:16 PM

The mighty XKCD says "yes (http://xkcd.com/c244.html)".

Playing an RPG inside 2nd Life. That's like watching "Big Brother" commentary shows: you're sitting in your house watching people on TV talking about watching people sitting around in a house on TV. How much more of an attenuated connection to reality can you establish? :smallamused:

Arbitrarity
2007-07-13, 02:20 PM
Now, are you making your player metagame? He should be roleplaying his roleplaying of his character. If he metagames, well, it's him, not you, right?

Yakk
2007-07-13, 02:25 PM
Virtual Worlds and Virtual Games are different things.

Deal. :)

Nogard
2007-07-13, 02:54 PM
I believe that recursive gaming is the theme of a game played at some of the larger game conventions... the game concept being that you are playing a group of gamers around a table playing some other game...

...but while amusing, that doesn't really fit here... since Second Life is just a platform for people to engage in other social and sometimes gaming activities... in this case both at the same time, since we use SL as our "game room" to play traditional dice & paper* RPGs

* "dice & paper" not "pen & paper" dangit!... because
A) polyhedrons and RPGs generally go hand in hand, and
B) Who the hell uses PEN whern gaming... we all use mechanical pencils and you KNOW it!

I have a feeling i might have just derailed my own thread with that last comment.

elliott20
2007-07-13, 02:57 PM
next session I go to, my first action is going to be "I sit the party down at a table, pull out some dice, and start rolling up characters with them"

Fax Celestis
2007-07-13, 03:01 PM
Meta-rp is awesome. Speaking of which, they're making a Sims movie.

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-13, 03:50 PM
Dang it, I don't even meet the requirements of the game and already people are talking about third lives.

Jimp
2007-07-13, 04:04 PM
Sounds interesting to me. But what if you lag during your initiative :smallconfused:

Citizen Joe
2007-07-13, 04:06 PM
Heh... Create a SL room with controls/monitor that dictate the moves of an IRL human chess match somewhere.

Nogard
2007-07-13, 04:16 PM
Sounds interesting to me. But what if you lag during your initiative :smallconfused:

same thing that happens if you run to the bathroom or kitchen as combat starts... the DM controls your character and you come back to find yourself surrounded by monsters and having only 3 HP left.

bosssmiley
2007-07-14, 08:17 AM

For what else was the "Delay" action invented? :smallbiggrin:

Tallis
2007-07-14, 08:48 AM
The mighty XKCD says "yes (http://xkcd.com/c244.html)".

Playing an RPG inside 2nd Life. That's like watching "Big Brother" commentary shows: you're sitting in your house watching people on TV talking about watching people sitting around in a house on TV. How much more of an attenuated connection to reality can you establish? :smallamused:

How about if the people on TV are watching you and commenting?

Sounds like this is a workable idea for playing online.

Nogard
2007-07-14, 09:02 AM
How about if the people on TV are watching you and commenting?

Then bust out the tin foil hat so they can't track you with their satellites anymore. :smallbiggrin:

Sounds like this is a workable idea for playing online.

Its very workable, and so far has been loads of fun... except I'm the only one who is willing to be the bloody DM... and i want to play darnnit!

I have had a couple people come and check it out so far, and everyone seems to think its a cool idea, but those that have come are all Second Life newbies (made an account just to come see this) and probably don't have the time/patience/interest to learn the mechanics of SL so that they can properly use the equipment.

Anyone who is interested, you can sign up for free and download the SL client at secondlife.com (http://www.secondlife.com)

note to mods: if you feel this thread should be in recruitment, please feel free to move it. I won't cry, i promise.