PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Hiding scent in 5e?

Foxydono
2016-10-04, 02:32 PM
I'm playing a homebrew Tiefling that has a flaw; My character has a rotting oder which comes from my scaly skin. This works out fine since my background is an Outlander Ranger, but since it's a flaw there should be some penalties applied to it. I have two questions regarding the flaw:

1. What kind of penalty would you give to such a character? I was thinking my opponents might have advantage on tracking me if they rely on smell. Or maybe I have disadvantage on stealth. Or it could be impossible to surprise an opponent if I'm within 60 feet? It should be a 'real' penalty, but if doesn't have to cripple the entire character.

2. Is there any spell, potion, item or are there other means to hide your scent in 5e? I looked around, but haven't found anything. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for all the advice!

BDRook
2016-10-04, 04:45 PM
I'd say enemies have advantage on perception checks to find you if you get within 15 feet of them.

Just curious, why do you want to be the smelly person in an adventure game where you can be anyone?

Aembrosia
2016-10-04, 04:51 PM
Soap and a bath. Prestidigitation deodorant.

Creatures that perceive with smell typically already have advantage on it.

You would have to be unbearably pungent to alert others to your presence just by walking within 10 feet of them; set aside 60 feet gosh golly. But if you stuck around for a while, stationary, especially in a small room with poor ventilation while trying to negotiate a peace treaty. All of the diplomacy disadvantage.

CursedRhubarb
2016-10-04, 04:59 PM
Prestidigitation to cover the odor works amazing. Used it recently to remove my Warlock's scent to sneak past guard dogs XD

Disadvantage on stealth and perhaps a penalty to Cha checks?

Or a check to persuade people to not have you leave buildings. No one likes a smelly customer.

Assenzio
2016-10-05, 04:56 AM
"Pass Without Trace" states:

[...]can’t be tracked except by magical means. A creature that receives this bonus leaves behind no tracks or other traces of its passage.

Indirectly means no scent nor stench, imho.

Sianthus
2016-10-05, 05:05 AM
Just curious, why do you want to be the smelly person in an adventure game where you can be anyone?

I'm curious too :P

But yes, advantage on perception checks for others within a certain distance would work the best. Disadvantage on stealth within closed quarters too..? Hm. Make provisions for location and all like what Aembrosia mentioned.

Foxydono
2016-10-05, 05:28 AM

The flaw was part of the creation. The Tiefling got a benefit as well. We had a random table on which we rolled for both the benefit and the flaw. Could have been worse though. I could also have gotten - 2 to ranged or melee attack rolls, half movement speed, -1 to AC or -6 to inniative rolls.

As for the cantrip that is a good idea, but will need a feat (or multiclass) to get it, so it's an expensive solution, but I'll definitly consider it!

Foxydono
2016-10-05, 05:30 AM
"Pass Without Trace" states:

[...]can’t be tracked except by magical means. A creature that receives this bonus leaves behind no tracks or other traces of its passage.

Indirectly means no scent nor stench, imho.
I never read it that way, interesting. I will have to discuss that with the DM though :p

Foxydono
2016-10-05, 05:36 AM
Disadvantage on stealth and perhaps a penalty to Cha checks?
I like the idea of disadvantage on charisma checks when negotiating or otherwise interacting with NPCs. Disadvantage on all stealth checks is a pretty big disadvantage. I like the idea of the opponent getting advantage if they are within a certain range better.

Plaguescarred
2016-10-05, 06:18 AM
1. I'd go with creature having advantage to Wisdom (Perception) check to detect you.

2. Perfume cologne or anything with strong odor could mask it. Otherwise spells like Prestidigitation or Pass Without Trace could work too if your DM agrees.

JackPhoenix
2016-10-05, 10:29 AM
2. Perfume cologne or anything with strong odor could mask it.

That wouldn't help, though. He won't smell disgusting anymore, true, but he'll smell even more to cover his previous stink.

Plaguescarred
2016-10-05, 11:04 AM
That wouldn't help, though. He won't smell disgusting anymore, true, but he'll smell even more to cover his previous stink.Yeah you're right you'd still smell strongly

CursedRhubarb
2016-10-05, 02:07 PM
Perhaps you can have an additional quirk due to the smell and your PC is paranoid about it so they always carry a few bars of soap. It's cheap, light, and it's main use is making people smell better. If nothing else perhaps daily lathering can drop the range of your penalties to 5ft or even fully suppress it for a day.