PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying How should my kobold speak?

NecessaryWeevil
2016-10-04, 04:26 PM
Hi, I'm looking for advice on a speaking style for my new character. I've played a Half-orc Crusader in 3.5 who spoke Common fine but in a guff and unpolished manner. When we switched to 5e I played a High Elf wizard who was the opposite - he was a bit aloof and arrogant (especially at first) and never used one syllable when three would do - fairly similar to Varsuvius.

But now I'm playing a kobold barbarian who's restless, aggressive (one might say manic) and uncivilized. He was found a few months ago by another PC, outcast, starving and dying of hypothermia, and nursed back to health. I'm having trouble deciding how he should speak. Rapid-fire? Third-person? Monosyllabic? In broken Common? I don't want to sound like a cheesy Hollywood Indian...I wish I could do "squeaky" but I'm a 6'1" guy who sings bass so that's not happening.

Specter
2016-10-04, 04:28 PM
Like Joe Pesci.

WickerNipple
2016-10-04, 05:00 PM
All kobolds sound like Deekin.

Aelyn
2016-10-04, 06:00 PM
Only ever speak through gritted teeth. It adds a weird pseudo-lisp that represents the different jaw structure.

lunaticfringe
2016-10-04, 06:03 PM
The answer is obviously like this (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xoLCDrOJGV0).

Kane0
2016-10-04, 06:06 PM
All kobolds sound like Deekin.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/a/ac/Deekin_portrait.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070427023000

He even has a street named after him!

NecessaryWeevil
2016-10-04, 06:28 PM
Heh! All good suggestions, thanks.

CaptAl
2016-10-04, 06:31 PM
Two words: Colonel Klink

CaptainSarathai
2016-10-04, 06:34 PM
Pidgin English would almost sound too cutesy, and not really manic enough.

I'd look at how the Skaven talk in Warhammer lore. It's a total jumble;

1) They will repeat a word or use two synonyms back-to-back to convey emphasis. They say it very quickly, like a single world.
"Goblin, scratch-scratching at door!"
"Run, run away, quick-fast!"

2) They're not so good with plural forms. In lore they'll sometimes double up the "es" or add them unnecessarily, like Gollum from LoTR.
"Stupid, fat, Hobitses, we hates them."
While it's not official, I also like the idea that they mess up verbs. Sort of like LolCatz, mixed with Toki Wartooth from Metalocalpyse.
"I can has the shiny-thing?"
"I ams so excited!"

3) Hinted above, if they dont know what something or someone is, they simply add a descriptor and "thing". Again, hyphenated and spoken like all one word. An unwillingness to use a proper, known term, , or just the addition of "-thing" can also be used as a derogatory slur OR to form plurals. For example:
Humans (plural) = Human-things
Goblin (sing. derogatory) = Goblin-thing
Horse (unknown) = Riding -thing
Magic item (unknown) = Pretty-thing

4) They refer to themselves in the 3rd person, but always by name. This is pretty self explanatory.

Obviously the faster and more manic you speak this way, the more it sounds like a confused jumble, which is where using your name and doubling for emphasis will help you to be understood.

So an example exchange of Krall the Kobold listening at a door in a dungeon...

"Krall, what do you hear?"
"Hush-quiet! Krall ams listen-hearing with his earses, not your filthy mouth-things!
Krall hears... footses. Many-many, hundred-hundreds. Come this way. Goblinses! Quick-hurry, protect King-person's shiny-thing! Kill-kill!!"
Or translated -
"Quiet, I hear with my ears, not your mouth. I hear many footsteps. A thousand of them, coming this way. Goblins! Quick, defend the King's artefact! Kill them!"

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2016-10-04, 07:00 PM
As if they are the superior to every other, far lesser race, without equal, peer, or slightest need to prove it. It is known. (http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/)

Imperial British would be best.

JellyPooga
2016-10-04, 07:10 PM
Speak like one of the a Skeksi from Dark Crystal. Perfect blend of creepy and barbaric and you don't need a squeeky voice...

...in fact, just go watch a bunch of films voiced by Frank Oz; Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Empire Strikes Back, etc. and mish-mash your own amalgam of his characters. Should make for a good kobold voice IMO.

Alternatively, they are described as having a dog-like, yipping voice; that suggests to me short, repetetive phrases, but not necessarily poor grammar or odd sentence structure as CaptainS suggests above (though that is certainly one way to go, it could get frustrating both for you and other players trying understand what the heck you're saying!). Instead of being a small yapper-type dog, pretend you're a great dane or st.bernard if you have trouble with higher pitch! Bark out your sentences like a drill instructor. Clip your words instead of drawling or elongating them. E.g. pronounce "sword" more like "sod" than "soward", if that makes sense.

Safety Sword
2016-10-04, 08:32 PM
Like a smurf. But instead of the word "smurf" substitute "yip". :smallamused:

Addaran
2016-10-04, 08:50 PM

1) They will repeat a word or use two synonyms back-to-back to convey emphasis. They say it very quickly, like a single world.

2) They're not so good with plural forms. In lore they'll sometimes double up the "es" or add them unnecessarily, like Gollum from LoTR.
While it's not official, I also like the idea that they mess up verbs. Sort of like LolCatz, mixed with Toki Wartooth from Metalocalpyse.
"I ams so excited!"

3) Hinted above, if they dont know what something or someone is, they simply add a descriptor and "thing". Again, hyphenated and spoken like all one word. An unwillingness to use a proper, known term, , or just the addition of "-thing" can also be used as a derogatory slur OR to form plurals. For example:

4) They refer to themselves in the 3rd person, but always by name. This is pretty self explanatory.

Obviously the faster and more manic you speak this way, the more it sounds like a confused jumble, which is where using your name and doubling for emphasis will help you to be understood.

"Hush-quiet! Krall ams listen-hearing with his earses, not your filthy mouth-things!
Krall hears... footses. Many-many, hundred-hundreds. Come this way. Goblinses! Quick-hurry, protect King-person's shiny-thing! Kill-kill!!"
Or translated -
"Quiet, I hear with my ears, not your mouth. I hear many footsteps. A thousand of them, coming this way. Goblins! Quick, defend the King's artefact! Kill them!"

That looks awesome! I wish i was good at changing my voices/speech-patterns. Or able to do it without having to think for years before answering. It would definitively make for a very memorable character.

Sigreid
2016-10-04, 10:52 PM
Last kobold I played I had speak like a child, but without the innocence. He was young, barely an adult and had experienced nothing of outside the tribe. This meant that his grasp of things was simple and he was easily filled with wonder.

MeeposFire
2016-10-04, 10:55 PM
I like to talk in a funny, some what high pitched, child like voice. Similar to the Deekin voice. I keep it funny and it is always popular in the groups I have been in.

deathadder99
2016-10-05, 04:25 PM

"I ams so excited!"

Or translated -

I like this, may steal.

MeeposFire
2016-10-05, 06:01 PM
Kobolds being small and often not liking the big races should speak of things form a short point of view and a Napoleon complex could also fit very well.

"Your knees are mine!"

Daer
2016-10-05, 06:11 PM
here is soundboard from DDO kobold sounds if it helps anything
http://soundboards.cubicleninja.com/

GlenSmash!
2016-10-05, 06:16 PM
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/a/ac/Deekin_portrait.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070427023000

He even has a street named after him!

*Singing* "Doom, Doom, Doom" Red Dragon Disciple Deekin from Hordes of the Underdark is probably my favorite companion in any game ever. I wouldn't be playing D&D if it weren't for the NWN games. I wish we could have gotten more instead of an MMO.

NecessaryWeevil
2016-10-05, 06:21 PM
There's some brilliant stuff here. I think I'm ready for tonight. Thanks for the hard work you guys put into this!

JumboWheat01
2016-10-05, 07:41 PM
If Kobolds are made official character choices with Volo's Guide, I think I'll make one and go completely counter-stereotype with a high class, well enunciated one.

Who will, naturally, slip back into proper kobold sounds when pressured. Because it's funny.

here is soundboard from DDO kobold sounds if it helps anything
http://soundboards.cubicleninja.com/

...Yeah, totally bookmarking that for hilarity purposes.

Kane0
2016-10-05, 09:55 PM
*Singing* "Doom, Doom, Doom" Red Dragon Disciple Deekin from Hordes of the Underdark is probably my favorite companion in any game ever. I wouldn't be playing D&D if it weren't for the NWN games. I wish we could have gotten more instead of an MMO.

"Umm...boss?"
I've resolved to stop crowdfunding games, but a remake or 5e version of NWN would bring out my wallet without a second thought. SCL doesn't count.

JumboWheat01
2016-10-05, 10:17 PM
"Umm...boss?"
I've resolved to stop crowdfunding games, but a remake or 5e version of NWN would bring out my wallet without a second thought. SCL doesn't count.

I'd totally go for a remake of Neverwinter Nights... if it was at least brought up to 3.5. 3rd Edition is kinda poo.

I still wouldn't say no to a proper 5e PC game though. And if it has to be set in Faerun, for the love of all the gods, put it somewhere OTHER than the Sword Coast. That place is getting a little boring. Eye of the Beholder games... Baldur's Gate series, the Icewind Dale games, all the Neverwinter games...

JAL_1138
2016-10-06, 12:17 AM
I give them a scratchy gowling/hissing voice and broken Gollum-ish English unless they've been serving a dragon for a long time or have a lot of contact with humans, in which case they use normal grammar. Not a low growl, but not high pitched either--I talk from the top of my throat instead of lower down, if that makes sense, so it's a little higher than my normal voice but not by much.

zioth
2016-10-06, 11:11 AM
I recently played a Kobold. I spoke in a high, throaty voice, and came up with a few rules to follow when he spoke:

No plural suffixes. He always used the singular form, but would use "many" to indicate plural. He'd say "many" louder to indicate a larger number.
No emphasis suffixes (like better) He would instead use "very," and say it louder for more emphasis.
He only spoke in the present tense. "Tomorrow, I am running VERY fast!" He'd usually omit words like "tomorrow," making it hard to understand him. For example, due to an event in his past, he was always afraid that dead people would rise up and become undead. He got into a big argument with another character once over whether to chop up the body of an important NPC to prevent it from rising. "I am chopping him into MANY pieces!" "He's dead. We'll just carry the body back to town. "No. He is NOT standing! I am chopping him into MANY pieces" "He's not standing. He's dead." "He is standing, and fighting us, and killing MANY kobold!" "He's not standing. He can't kill anyone." etc.

Joe the Rat
2016-10-06, 12:02 PM
Grating and nasal is my go-to approach. Basically Beavis, only less spastic. You want the reverb right at the back of your nose, but not dropping into the throat. That makes it more whiny. Whiny and nasal is for goblins, thinkyewverymuch.

If you want to inject more of the "dog-like" quality, consider this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k4JS4M-DHs) as an inspiration.

The answer is obviously like this (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xoLCDrOJGV0).This, however, is frelling brilliant.