PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Primary Casting Ability

Knitifine
2016-10-04, 04:59 PM
I'm using Spherecasters from Spheres of Power, but this could be relevant people using more traditional casters too.

While some Spherecasters allow the uses to choose their casting stat, I was considering having all spellcaster's given this benefit, with the following additional strings.

Intelligence: If you choose this ability all Knowledge skills become class skills.
Wisdom: If you choose this ability you gain 2 extra skill ranks per level (maximum 8 + Intelligence modifier).
Charisma: If you choose this ability you gain 4 extra skill ranks per level (maximum 8 + Intelligence modifier), additionally all Charisma based skills become class skills.

This is based on what I perceive to be the relative power of each ability score sans spellcasting.
Feedback appreciated.

weckar
2016-10-04, 06:33 PM
This seems to make intelligence a non-choice, really. You're effectively providing a +4 Int boost to wisdom casters and a whopping +8 Int boost to charisma casters. I've rarely seen the dice come down in such a way that the mental skills are THAT far apart.

Knitifine
2016-10-04, 06:47 PM
Given that Int Spellcasters are going probably going to have a +4 modifier at first level, and the disparity will only grow from there, I'm not sure what the problem is.

TheIronGolem
2016-10-04, 06:48 PM
I just don't see a need for this. It's not like spherecasters (except maybe the Armorist) are in need of more skill points to function in a party. And if you want to combine skillmonkeying with spherecasting, Hedgewitch already has you covered.

Knitifine
2016-10-04, 06:54 PM
It's not so much about functioning mechanically as it is about the fact that 2 skill points is far to little for a developed character to spend their whole career with.

TheIronGolem
2016-10-04, 06:59 PM
It's not so much about functioning mechanically as it is about the fact that 2 skill points is far to little for a developed character to spend their whole career with.

But isn't that why we have INT? And favored class bonuses? And Skilled races? And probably other things I'm forgetting?

weckar
2016-10-04, 07:06 PM
Given that Int Spellcasters are going probably going to have a +4 modifier at first level, and the disparity will only grow from there, I'm not sure what the problem is.

True, but this seems to imply that those without Int as a casting stat somehow always dump it? Which really is not the case.

Knitifine
2016-10-04, 07:09 PM
True, but this seems to imply that those without Int as a casting stat somehow always dump it? Which really is not the case.In my experience, if you don't have Int as a casting stat you set it to a value between 8 and 10, and leave it there.

weckar
2016-10-04, 07:13 PM
That disagrees with my own experience, where I won't leave the house with any character with an int below 12, and more often than not 14.

Brainy barbarians, yes.

stack
2016-10-04, 07:16 PM
That is an odd way to incentivize the scores. Wisdom and intelligence are already a toss up, decided by class, desrired skills, etc. And charisma in this scheme is flat out better than intelligence for low casters that can't focus on their CAM he way focused casters can. I think just boosting the skill floor to 2 would be sufficient, helping out the non-INT based armorists, incanters, and mageknights.