PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying So my party thinks I'm the leader...

Madokar
2016-10-04, 07:52 PM
This is a relatively minor issue in my campaign that's popped up in a past couple of sessions. Lately, the shaman and the magus have said that my paladin is the group leader. I don't know where they came to that conclusion. I haven't been playing as a leader figure. If anything, I've been trying to play it like the party comes to a decision about something in a democratic manner.

This doesn't really have any foreseeable problems for the future. So I guess what I'm asking is if there is any advice people can give me on being the party leader if the rest of the group sees me as such?

Knitifine
2016-10-04, 08:07 PM
If your party has decided you're the leader, it's probably base on the behavior that you've already displayed.
I suggest not altering that behavior, and just accepting responsibility when they give it to you.

Ie. "Well I want to know what our leader thinks."

Vizzerdrix
2016-10-04, 08:07 PM
Just remember, leader always gets a bigger cut of the loot. :smallbiggrin:

veti
2016-10-04, 10:58 PM
If you're playing a paladin, there's a good chance you have (a) the highest charisma, and (b) the strongest sense of what the party "should" be doing in any given situation.

Sounds like a leader to me.

Sabeta
2016-10-04, 11:49 PM
This is a relatively minor issue in my campaign that's popped up in a past couple of sessions. Lately, the shaman and the magus have said that my paladin is the group leader. I don't know where they came to that conclusion. I haven't been playing as a leader figure. If anything, I've been trying to play it like the party comes to a decision about something in a democratic manner.

This doesn't really have any foreseeable problems for the future. So I guess what I'm asking is if there is any advice people can give me on being the party leader if the rest of the group sees me as such?

You behave in a democratic manner, probably by asking for the parties' opinions before acting, and you're humble enough to be surprised when they call you leader. Chances are, you're already doing things the right way, and shouldn't need to worry too much about the responsibility of being "leader". At most, consider being the tiebreaker for minor disputes and when given multiple directions to take be the first to suggest which way you think you should go.

My (now late) Fighter would do that kind of thing because I had terrible Charisma. "Hey Bard. Do you think you might be able to pull some information at the bars? Me and the Ranger and gonna hit the town and see if we can't find anything; unless he had any objections to that." Most players I've found are more than happy to just go with the flow when it comes to roleplaying because, let's face it, most D&D players aren't the most sociable people.

Professor Chimp
2016-10-05, 03:50 AM
You're a Paladin, you probably have a good Charisma and maybe also a decent/good Wisdom score, so you'd be well suited to being the 'face' and moral center of the party, especially if you also have some of the social Skills. Chances are your fellow players have adopted you as the leader is because you are already more or less doing that and they feel your mentality and behaviour in game fits that leader role.

Unless you're uncomfortable with being the leader, I'd say just roll with it. Just remain diplomatic, keep your party's wants and opinions in mind and you should be fine.

Besides, I find that even in a group of equals, it's usually better for a single player to assume the lead when dealing with NPCs, if only to keep those encounters simpler.

Xuc Xac
2016-10-05, 11:57 AM
The hardest part of leadership is getting them to see you as the leader. The rest is easy. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Joe the Rat
2016-10-05, 12:55 PM
Congrats. You're now Roy.

This may simply be a roleplay thing - you are the Face of Authority when dealing with various quest-giving/causing entities and assorted prestige-givers.

Or it may be a play thing - you're either coming up with all the plans, or helping the party to choose ones that don't look like they were made by an emu on acid.

The only time to worry about this is if there is someone else who should be the Leader. Someone with more of a Chosen One / I'm The Protagonist vibe about them. I've actually had that problem. I'd played a halfling with a giant hammer and massive anger management issues, aiming squarely at the Big Guy role. Talking to people and sane decisions should be coming from someone else - and there were a couple others that would have been ideal leaders, but they were either too hesitant in decision making, or were flat out nuts.