PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Looking to maximize a Dragon Disciple build

Madokar
2016-10-04, 08:12 PM
Okay, I'll say it up front. I like the Dragon Disciple prestige class. I really do. Trouble is, I keep running into minor hiccups when I try to make a build that would maximize the class and utilize it to it's full potential. Naturally, the core problem area is the base class that I would have to possess levels in before taking the DD prestige class.

Obviously, the DD class was meant to be used with a Sorcerer class that has a draconic bloodline. Main thing about that though, is that the BAB for Sorceror is not ideal for bringing out the full potential of the DD class. The fact that the DD class has a mediocre BAB itself doesn't improve things all that well. The bloodline powers are through the roof, but you'd have a hard time using the fullround bite and claws attack because of a poor BAB.

I though the release of Pathfinder Unchained and the use of Fractional Base Bonuses would be an opportunity to improve the DD's BAB. Since the article on Fractional Base Bonuses stated that a class with a hd10-hd12 progression rate would classify the class's BAB progression as Full. Meaning that DD's BAB would progress a full point at each level. But Paizo didn't errate the DD class like that. So a lot of people say that DD remains at a BAB progression of a mediocre 3/4 points per level.

On the flipside, you could go Bloodrager, which has a great BAB to use for the bite and claws attack. Thing is, you can only perform such an attack in the throes of a bloodrage. And since you wind up multiclassing with the DD, the bloodrage class ability doesn't shine as well as it could late in the campaign. That's not counting the issue on whether or not Bloodrager's bloodline progression can count towards the DD's Blood of Dragon's ability, where the DD levels stack with an existing draconic bloodline to determine the potency of the bloodline powers.

So, is there anybody out here that has any input on the matter?

grarrrg
2016-10-05, 12:12 AM
Obviously, the DD class was meant to be used with a Sorcerer class that has a draconic bloodline. Main thing about that though, is that the BAB for Sorceror is not ideal for bringing out the full potential of the DD class. The fact that the DD class has a mediocre BAB itself doesn't improve things all that well. The bloodline powers are through the roof, but you'd have a hard time using the fullround bite and claws attack because of a poor BAB.
Then don't go Sorc/DD.
You're already multiclassing, Take a level or 2 of Sorc for the basic Bloodline+casting, then go something Full Bab, THEN go DD.

Also, despite being a 3/4 Bab class, the DD does give a total of +4 STR. Which, accuracy-wise, makes up for 2 of the lost points of Bab. And the damage bonus makes up for the other point.
You also aren't required to go DD for the full 10 levels. Depending on build, stopping at level 4 or 8 is perfectly fine. (and honestly, a straight Sorc entry would probably be better off with Sorc 12/DD 8 than Sorc 10/DD 10)

Since the article on Fractional Base Bonuses stated that a class with a hd10-hd12 progression rate would classify the class's BAB progression as Full. Meaning that DD's BAB would progress a full point at each level. But Paizo didn't errate the DD class like that. So a lot of people say that DD remains at a BAB progression of a mediocre 3/4 points per level.
Specific trumps general.
While all _Base_ classes follow the HD>Bab guideline, there are quite a few PrC's that do not. And as mentioned above, the +STR makes up for it.

On the flipside, you could go Bloodrager, which has a great BAB to use for the bite and claws attack. Thing is, you can only perform such an attack in the throes of a bloodrage. And since you wind up multiclassing with the DD, the bloodrage class ability doesn't shine as well as it could late in the campaign. That's not counting the issue on whether or not Bloodrager's bloodline progression can count towards the DD's Blood of Dragon's ability, where the DD levels stack with an existing draconic bloodline to determine the potency of the bloodline powers.

Dragon Disciple is confirmed to 'stack' for Bloodrager Bloodline, basically replace all instance of "Sorcerer" with "Bloodrager".

Corlindale
2016-10-05, 12:39 AM
I've actually played a pure DD with straight Sorc into DD. The lack of BaB is not as big a problem as it seems. You'll use natural attacks, so iteratives don't matter. You use your obscene Strength score + buff spells to compensate for lack of accuracy. You'll not as potent as a full martial, but you'll have an almost full spell progression to fall back on. It's true that you should never take the last two levels of DD though. They are really not worth it.

Madokar
2016-10-05, 11:03 AM
Dragon Disciple is confirmed to 'stack' for Bloodrager Bloodline, basically replace all instance of "Sorcerer" with "Bloodrager".

Where was that confirmed? I would need proof of that before bringing it up with my group when we discuss builds for our next campaign.

Krazzman
2016-10-05, 11:48 AM
There are two other possibilities that weren't mentioned so far: Bard and Magus(Eldritch Disciple?).

As already mentioned you don't really take all 10 levels of the prestige class.

Bard gives more skills and some nice stuff through archetypes. I planned on playing a Half-Orc Bard(Arcane Duelist?)/DragonDisciple in a game, going with a big weapon... never got to plan more than that though.

Psyren
2016-10-05, 12:23 PM
Where was that confirmed? I would need proof of that before bringing it up with my group when we discuss builds for our next campaign.

This FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gw#v5748eaic9tml), and also Advanced Class Origins pg. 5

Madokar
2016-10-05, 02:41 PM
This FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gw#v5748eaic9tml), and also Advanced Class Origins pg. 5

Well, I saved the link to the FAQ, so I can send it to my group. I'll also pick up Advanced Class Origins for good measure. That makes this situation a lot easier, in my opinion.