PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to gain a Burrow Speed (3.5)?

Neowulf
2016-10-05, 12:58 AM
I've been wondering for a long time on if there's a way to gain burrow speed in the rules other than the "Burrow" spell. closest I can find is some vague language in the Landshark Boots where it says

The bulette, also called the landshark, is closely associated with the earth in totemist traditions. Totemists channel the spirit energy of the bulette to attain connection with the earth—borrowing a measure of its tremorsense or its ability to burrow through the earth—as well as to mimic its fearsome qualities as a voracious predator. While wearing the landshark boots, you gain a +4 competence bonus on Jump checks.

the only problem is that it doesn't really give a solid answer on how I gain the ability to burrow, just that I can

ryu
2016-10-05, 02:17 AM
The easy way is to alter self, polymorph, shapechange, or druid into a form with burrowing. That's the simple way of doing it.

Neowulf
2016-10-05, 02:24 AM
and the hard way?

Thaneus
2016-10-05, 02:33 AM
Get mineral warrior template and hit off with la+1

ryu
2016-10-05, 02:47 AM
and the hard way?

Are you familiar with the various tricks for permanent body switching/self modification/species change? Higher investment cost, and should only generally be done if you're getting something significantly better than easily obtained burrow speed.

I also have a method for tagging along with a burrowing party member that only requires acid immunity, a method of compensating for an environment lacking air, a metric buttload of escape artist ranks, being well smaller than your new mount, and liberal abuse of prestidigitation for the after effects.

Xgya
2016-10-05, 05:13 AM
There's an easy answer.
It requires 12 levels of Paladin.
Underdark Knight ACF.
Learn it, love it, live it.
You end up losing your mount, for various benefits.

Troacctid
2016-10-05, 05:23 AM
From the Lists of Stuff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?454553-Lists-of-Stuff-(saved-from-Wizards-Community-Forums)):

Paladin 12, class variant, Complete Champion, equal to land speed, see text
Earth Dreamer 5, ecl 12, Races of Stone - equal to base speed, limited use
Stonespeaker Guardian 5, ecl 11, Races of Stone - half base speed
Mineral Warrior, template, LA+1, FR: Underdark, equal to half highest speed, lose flight
Earth Glider, elemental graft, Magic of Eberron, equal to base land speed, see text
Haztaratain 9, ecl 14, Eberron: Secrets of Sarlona, limited duration
Darkrunner 10, ecl 14, Lords of Madness - equal to base speed, limited use
Burrowing Claws, Illithid Graft, Lords of Madness, 20'
Lord of Tides 3, ecl 8, Sandstorm - 5' through soft earth only
Ashworm Dragoon 6, 10/10, ecl 11, Sandstorm - only while on mount, see text
Thrall of Eltab 3, ecl 8, Champions of Ruin - 10'
Elemental Warrior (earth) 4, ecl 11, Planar Handbook, 30'
Planar Touchstone (Echolost), feat, Planar Handbook - varies

Evolved Shrimp
2016-10-05, 05:33 AM
If you don't want to change your build, there's the Xorn Movement spell, which gives you burrowing capabilites for rounds per caster level.

A permanent item based on that spell could be created. If my reading of the SRD is correct, it would be a rather hefty 360,000 gp, though...

ryu
2016-10-05, 05:44 AM
If you don't want to change your build, there's the Xorn Movement spell, which gives you burrowing capabilites for rounds per caster level.

A permanent item based on that spell could be created. If my reading of the SRD is correct, it would be a rather hefty 360,000 gp, though...

Wouldn't alter self be more effective and probably cheaper unless that's a level one spell?

Necroticplague
2016-10-05, 06:06 AM
Wild Shape gives you burrowing right out the gate, in the form of turning into a dire badger. Masters of many forms can upgrade this at level 4 by turning into a swamp imp. Normal druids get the upgrade at level 13, with earth elemental form.

Evolved Shrimp
2016-10-05, 01:42 PM
Wouldn't alter self be more effective and probably cheaper unless that's a level one spell?

Not for a human to change into a Xorn, because Alter Self can't change the type - and a Xorn probably is magical beast.

But sure, some kind of polymorph spell could also work, if there is a suitable target form. Some have been noted, but there are others as well (Dao?).

Flickerdart
2016-10-05, 01:46 PM
Not for a human to change into a Xorn, because Alter Self can't change the type - and a Xorn probably is magical beast.

Xorns are Outsiders, so non-lesser Planetouched can become them.

The Viscount
2016-10-05, 02:03 PM
Asherati have a limited form called Sandswim through sand, ash, and dust, if that applies to the campaign.

If you're willing to eat LA +1, Wildren will give you a burrow speed of 10 feet, and you might find the stat adjusters more tolerable.

Darrin
2016-10-05, 02:30 PM
If you're willing to eat LA +1, Wildren will give you a burrow speed of 10 feet, and you might find the stat adjusters more tolerable.

If you need a humanoid, Earth Mephling (Planar Handbook) has a burrow speed of 10' as well.