PDA

View Full Version : Allowing DSP into 3.5

paperarmor
2016-10-05, 07:00 AM
I'm thinking of opening up all of Dream Scar Press's material for my 3.5 games are there any huge drawbacks that I'm missing by doing so?

weckar
2016-10-05, 07:03 AM
Much DSP material is based on existing 3.5 subsystems, sometimes with a different flavor or slightly different tune. Not sure what you expect to gain by it.

Zanos
2016-10-05, 07:03 AM
Why? DSP's most popular offerings(Intiators and Psionics) both already exist with first party 3.5 material.

EDIT: Swordsaged. Or Stalkered?

Knitifine
2016-10-05, 07:08 AM
I would also add that if you're not playing Pathfinder, which DSP is balanced against, you'll find the DSP classes outperforming the 3.5e ones in many cases.

Cwymbran-San
2016-10-05, 07:12 AM
I would also add that if you're not playing Pathfinder, which DSP is balanced against, you'll find the DSP classes outperforming the 3.5e ones in many cases.

/seconded

Especially the initiators do some sick damage, compared to their ToB counterparts. Be aware of that fact and plan accordingly.

DarkSoul
2016-10-05, 07:44 AM
I saw a thread on the Paizo forums where someone mentioned it was the extra class abilities given to PoW initiator classes rather than the maneuvers themselves that made them stronger than the ToB classes. How true is this in everyone's experience? I'm considering adding some PoW disciplines to ToB initiators; likely Tempest Gale, Solar Wind, and Veiled Moon.

paperarmor
2016-10-05, 02:13 PM
It's mostly a replacement for TOB to be honest and to give mundanes nice things

Prime32
2016-10-05, 02:29 PM
I saw a thread on the Paizo forums where someone mentioned it was the extra class abilities given to PoW initiator classes rather than the maneuvers themselves that made them stronger than the ToB classes. How true is this in everyone's experience? I'm considering adding some PoW disciplines to ToB initiators; likely Tempest Gale, Solar Wind, and Veiled Moon.ToB classes are pretty barebones apart from their maneuvers. PoW classes have stronger class features and more of them.

I've seen it suggested that if you use ToB and PoW in the same game, then all PoW classes except Harbinger should be limited to 6th-level maneuvers (using the progression in PoW:E for classes that gain maneuvers through archetypes). Note that this doesn't affect your initiator level, so characters can still pick up higher-level maneuvers through feats or PrCs.

I would also add that if you're not playing Pathfinder, which DSP is balanced against, you'll find the DSP classes outperforming the 3.5e ones in many cases.This is true of many PF classes, since PF often added extra abilities to the classes themselves while nerfing the mechanics they relied on. A PF fighter becomes much stronger with access to 3.5 fighter feats and combat maneuvers instead of PF ones, for instance (especially if he can pick and choose between the two).

Mehangel
2016-10-05, 02:51 PM
I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND allowing the DSP Soulknife into 3.5 to REPLACE the ****ty soulknife. Everything else, I couldn't really care less if you allow or not.

digiman619
2016-10-05, 03:42 PM
I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND allowing the DSP Soulknife into 3.5 to REPLACE the ****ty soulknife. Everything else, I couldn't really care less if you allow or not.

I cannot second this hard enough. Most of DSP's work is making Pathfinder versions of 3.5 stuff, though. Seeing as most of the stuff they've Pathfinder-ized worked great in 3.5, the only other DSP thing I might suggest you use in a 3.5 campaign is their Truenamer fix , but it's still in playtest (the thread for that can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?481694-Dreamscarred-Press-Presents-quot-Tzocatl-The-First-Language-quot&highlight=Dreamscarred+press)).

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-05, 10:01 PM
Soulknife backports great and is more functional than the 3.5 version, Aegis backports pretty well, PsyWar backports fine and is more interesting than the 3.5 version, Cryptic and Dread probably backport fine but I don't have much experience with those last two. PoW would be OP. Daevic would be OP. Guru and Vizier would probably be fine if they don't build for damage, so you may want to ban (or at least strongly discourage) stacking Armory of the Conqueror and/or Storm Gauntlets on Spear of Light or Hand Cannons.