PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Ferocity vs Rage

Neowulf
2016-10-05, 07:36 AM
so I recently found out that barbarians can substitute their natural rage ability for ferocity. I really want to get it because a +4 to AC and initiative as well as the fact that I can use it as an immediate action

now, I already know the cons it ending sooner and being sick is worse for continuing a battle than being fatigued (although I can still run away if that happens, unlike fatigue), but I want to know if I can use rage-based feats on ferocity. like, can I use "Extend Rage" to give myself more Ferocity, or is this a concept I'll have to sell to my DM?

Knitifine
2016-10-05, 07:43 AM
It would help if you cited the book you're referring to, as "Ferocity" generally refers to the ability of boars to be bastards rather than an alternative rage. Looking at the text is the primary way people figure about which rules can interact with the subject.

weckar
2016-10-05, 07:44 AM
SRD - Variant Character Classes

Darrin
2016-10-05, 07:54 AM
SRD - Variant Character Classes

Nope. That's Whirling Frenzy. Ferocity is in the Cityscape Web Enhancement: Urban Class Features (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a):

Ferocity

Where most barbarians define themselves by nigh-unstoppable rage, a few streetfighters and urban warriors have mastered different techniques. By working up a surge of adrenaline, they hit just as hard, and substantially faster, than their counterparts, while dodging the inevitable counterattack.

Class: Barbarian.

Level: 1st.

Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain rage, or any later improvements to that class feature, nor do you gain indomitable will.

Benefit: Once per day, the barbarian can enter a state of adrenaline-fueled fury, increasing both his physical might and his reaction time. He temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength and a +4 bonus to Dexterity, but he takes a -2 penalty on ranged attack rolls beyond short range (30 feet).

He can enter this state as an immediate action, even when flat-footed at the start of combat, so he may apply the enhanced Dexterity modifier to his initiative check.

While in a state of ferocity, the barbarian cannot use any Charisma- or Intelligence-based skills (except for Intimidate), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except item creation feats and metamagic feats. Ferocity lasts for a number of rounds equal to 4 + his Constitution modifier (if positive). The barbarian may prematurely end his state of ferocity. At the end of ferocity, he loses the ferocity modifiers and restrictions and become sickened (-2 on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 17th-level barbarian, at which point this limitation no longer applies). Abilities that normally render him immune to being sickened (such as the Strong Stomach feat,
Cityscape 64) reduce the penalties to -1, but do not remove them entirely.

The barbarian can invoke ferocity only once per encounter. At 1st level he can use this ability once per day. At 4th level and every four levels thereafter, he can use it one additional time per day (to a maximum of six times per day at 20th level).

Greater Ferocity: At 11th level, his bonuses to Strength and Dexterity during ferocity each increase to +6. In addition, the duration of his ferocity increases to 5 + your Constitution modifier (if positive).

Shifting Stance: At 14th level, while in a state of ferocity, he gains a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class and Reflex saves.

In addition, while in a state of ferocity, the barbarian can stand from prone as a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If a foe that threatens him has a base attack bonus that is 4 points or more higher than his barbarian level, however, she gains an attack of opportunity as normal. (These abilities replace indomitable will.)

Relentless Ferocity: At 17th level, the duration of his ferocity increases to 6 + his Constitution modifier (if positive), and he no longer become sickened at the end of his ferocity. In addition, the dodge bonus granted by his shifting stance ability becomes +2.

Unstoppable Ferocity: At 20th level, the barbarian's bonuses to Strength and Dexterity during ferocity each increase to +8.

To answer the OP: No. At no point does Ferocity say that it counts as Rage for the purposes of qualifying for feats or classes. However, it wouldn't be all that hard of a sell to most DMs.

weckar
2016-10-05, 07:58 AM
Whoop, my bad. Or, good. WF is good.

Knitifine
2016-10-05, 08:00 AM
Very unfortunate. For what it's worth I agree with Darrin, it shouldn't be that hard to sell Ferocity as counts as rage to a DM who allows it in the first place.

Neowulf
2016-10-05, 08:04 AM
thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll have to try extra hard to get that adrenaline junkie in me to let loose his fury upon the unwitting masses with ferocity, but until then I'll try to just work on playing Barb best I can

Darrin
2016-10-05, 08:32 AM
thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll have to try extra hard to get that adrenaline junkie in me to let loose his fury upon the unwitting masses with ferocity, but until then I'll try to just work on playing Barb best I can

Is Whirling Frenzy not available? It also gets an AC bonus, and as far as I can tell it does count as Rage for the purposes of qualifying for feats/classes:

"this variant form of rage"

"Whirling frenzy is otherwise identical to the standard barbarian rage in all other ways."

ShurikVch
2016-10-05, 10:05 AM
Also, in the Faiths of Eberron is Frantic Rage feat, which allow to select at the start of Rage: will it improve Str or Dex
(Required access to Madness domain)

Kaje
2016-10-05, 01:07 PM
Is Whirling Frenzy not available? It also gets an AC bonus, and as far as I can tell it does count as Rage for the purposes of qualifying for feats/classes:

"Whirling frenzy is otherwise identical to the standard barbarian rage in all other ways."

Ferocity lacks both of those bits though. Interestingly, a barb who becomes lawful would lose rage or whirling frenzy, but would keep ferocity or berserker strength.

Neowulf
2016-10-05, 01:56 PM

that's definitely going to be a contender with Ferocity in my book. the fact that I can use it as an immediate action as well as increase my initiative is very tempting, but if I can't get the rage bonuses then I'll probably go for WF