PDA

View Full Version : Upper Planescape and its dwellers

Pronounceable
2016-10-05, 01:10 PM
How many good planar critter types does Planescape have? There's planeloads of races and critters for the Low places, but Upper half is practically empty. Aside from the usual suspects (three exemplars and gods and petitioners and some celestial animals [most of which is lame and boring as ****]), I'm having a hard time thinking of anything interesting that lives in those seven whole planes. I know it's because good is boring and probably old school TSR idiocy didn't want stats on good guys to prevent people from beating them up, but you'd expect at least some random names from various mythologies and religions put down on paper.

So. Hypothetically, just as an example, if I were to attempt polishing up old Planescape for some sort of homebrewing that'd need good races to populate Upper half, what choices would I have aside from the obvious three? I'd have to pick random mythical names and think them up myself I'm guessing, because DnD never liked celestials. And if I were to be forced to make them up by myself, what would be some proper mythological good being names that'd be appropriate for sort of things that'd live in Upper Planes of Planescape (guessing seraphim is a given)?

[For the record, the Lower seven is already booked up with devils, demons, daemons, demodands, rakshasa, suc/incubi aka hags (because they're the same goddamn thing), and slaad (because DnD never ever understood what CN actually means). Not to mention hosts of assorted nasties like barghests and nightmares.]

Zaydos
2016-10-05, 01:22 PM
Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix II lists, on it's 1/plane random encounter tables...

In addition to Archons, Eladrin, Guardinal, Aasimon (which there used to be a lot more of)...

Mount Celestia - Per, Einheriar, Zoveri, Sunfly, Hollyphant, Noctral, Balaena, (greater) Shedu.

Bytopia - Reave, Tso (I think those are evil slavers, though), Per, Balaena, Treants, Quill, Leomarh, Sunfly, Einheriar, Hollyphant, Baku.

Elysium - Baku, Phoenix, Sunfly, Einheriar, Hollyphant, Foo Dog, Balaena, Foo Lion.

Beastlands - Baku, Animal Lord, Per, Balaena, Sunfly, Hollyphant, Leomarh, Quill, Llamasu, Foo Dog, Foo Lion

Arborea: Titan, Llamasu, Einheriar, Medusa, Chimera, Bacchae, Khaasta, Sunfly, Foo Dog, Hollyphant, Lillend, Foo Lion, Oread, Asrai.

Don't forget that Arborea is also Mount Olympus and nymphs (which is a category which includes dryads, oreads, nereids, and naiads) are all appropriate there more than on the Prime.

daremetoidareyo
2016-10-05, 01:50 PM
There's a list of celestials in my sig

Endarire
2016-10-05, 02:31 PM
Consider these resources:

Planescape: The Outer Planes (http://www.pathguy.com/planes.htm)

Planar Revision Project (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5581.0)

Falcon X
2016-10-05, 02:37 PM
TSR 2607 Planes of Law Monstrous Supplement introduced:

Mount Celestia:
- Zoveri
- Lantern, Hound, Sword, Warden, Trumpet, Tome, and Throne Archon

Arcadia:
- Busen
- Worker, Warrior, Myrmarch, and Queen Formian

Name1
2016-10-05, 02:59 PM
...Which edition? Also, Ysgard has the Einherjar, which I'd say are always worth mentioning.

Jowgen
2016-10-05, 03:38 PM
Elysian Thrush. Love them pretty little birds. :smallamused:

Calthropstu
2016-10-05, 04:43 PM
There are other celestial creatures which are not given exact home planes, such as the couatl. I once did a full sweep of the books looking for good outsiders to bind and found a good number of them, but it was some time ago.

DrMotives
2016-10-06, 12:03 AM
Draconomicon has 3 planar dragons from upper planes, the Battle, Oceanus, & Radiant dragons. The magazine expands the Planar dragons list to include 1 from every Transitive & Outer Plane except Baator, if you don't count Stygian dragons because they're found on many lower plains. So there's Adamantine, Elysium, Beast, and Arboreal dragons from the Upper Planes in the magazine to supplement the ones in Draconomicon.

Pronounceable
2016-10-06, 02:48 AM
...Which edition?
All of them.
Well that's a lot of assorted nicies. Just goes to show how neglected DnD good guys are that I hadn't even heard of many of these names until I looked them up.

However almost all of these aren't really dominant planar race material, except for einherjar. Lomion is a cool place that shows asuras are also a CG thing, so that's 6 down: archon, deva, guardinal, eladrin, asura, einherjar. Archon isn't actually a good guy name though and guardinal and eladrin are pure DnDisms. But it's ok, these dudes have long established themselves in DnD and beggars can't be choosers.

So there's just one more major race left. I'll sprinkle some of the assorted nicies nice posters of this thread pointed out to Upper half, maybe rename archons to seraphim, do some shuffling (cos guardinals are obviously from Beastlands, anywhere else is just duuuumb). I'm thinking the last one could be named eidolon or kami. It's pretty strange eidolon hasn't already been used what with being another ghosty name and Greek.

Elysium: asura
Beastlands: guardinal
Arborea: eladrin
Asgard: einherjar
Limbo: nope
Pandemonium: slaad
Abyss: demon
Tartaros: demodand
Hades: hag
Gehenna: daemon
Inferno: devil
Acheron: rakshasa