PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help with Building a Gestalt Warlord 8//Skald 8

sage20500
2016-10-05, 01:32 PM
Trying out pathfinder and the game I'm attempting to join is playing gestalt. I've already decided that the character concept I wanted to use was that of the Viking Raid Leader (I may have had a little too much fun with the For Honor Alpha recently) that terrifies their enemies while inspiring their allies; and from what I've seen Warlord and Skald mesh well together for a leader like character that is able to actually be useful in melee. Currently I'm running a Human (with the subtype that gives me 2 +2 to stats) that has 16 Str, 14 Con, and 21 Cha without any items added to the mix.

On the skald side I pretty much have everything figured out, I'm using the Fate Skald archetype and aside from picking up Skalds Vigor, Greater Skalds Vigor, and Lingering song I think I'm good on everything I need for that. Its the Warlord side that I'm having some issues with deciding on.

Currently I'm trying to decide between playing a Vanilla Warlord that is a member of the Waelochs, or playing a Vanguard Commander, the Vanguard Commander seems like it would be more fun to use for the Viking character idea in and of itself, and so far the only guaranteed Disciplines that I know I want to run are Golden Lion and Eternal Guardian. (Lion for the ally buffing, Guardian for the hilarity it seems to have as well as to help with the theme of being a raid leader that actively cares about the safety of my troops.) Aside from that I was looking at Primal Fury and Iron Tortoise, but I'm currently using a Great Axe so I'm not sure if I can use Iron Tortoise at all, and I'm still somewhat new to Path of War so I'm not sure if Primal Fury or Scarlet Throne might have better options for me.

Weapon wise I'm not sure if I should stick with the Great Axe or if I should consider switching to Battle Axe and a heavy shield, i'm most familiar with 3.5 and from 3.5 experience the answer was almost always go two handed because it's better, not sure how that may have changed with 3.5.

Feat Wise; Power Attack is being given out for free by the dm; I'm currently looking at picking up Battle Cry, Noble Scion of War, Call Out, the Skalds Vigor Lines, Lingering Performance, Discordant Voice, and then Broken Wing Gambit/Wounded Paw Gambit. Aside from those I'm also looking at Intimidating Prowess, Improved Initiative, and Cornugon Smash (Haven't seen anything else I'd like to pick up aside from the Iron Will/Great Fortitude etc feats.)

Any suggestions, thoughts, or recommendations I could use to help shore this character up or allow for more fun things to happen.

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-05, 09:16 PM
Furious Focus could be useful, because it allows for free Power Attack on all of your single-attack strikes.

sage20500
2016-10-05, 11:19 PM
So i'm actually slightly switching up my build idea, decided I was trying to spread myself too thing and instead needed to narrow my focus, so I'm specifically going to be good at making my enemies as terrified as can be of me, then buff my allies with awesome effects, and go from there. New current Warlord build is Vanguard Commander Warlord 8, with my character having joined the Black Thorn Knights in order to swap out either Scarlet Throne or Iron Tortoise for Demon Seraph maneuvers, and then just go to town being the Viking Thane with a Giant Axe that just advances across the battlefield while his enemies break and scatter in fear. 3 Disciplines that I'm going to be focusing on look like they will be Black Seraph, Eternal Guardian, and Golden Lion.

Question though involving the Black Seraph style feat chain. I know by the 3rd feat I gain the abilitiy to potentially fear anything, except there is a 5th or 6th level Eternal Guardian stance which does the same thing. I'm not sure how often I'll actually be using the higher end Eternal Guardian stances because aside from that one 9th level Eternal Guardian maneuver, I don't pick up Combat Reflexes since my dex mod is currently 11, and even with a +6 item (I'm currently using my waist slot for a +Con item) I'd only max at 4 AoO normally. So with that in mind is there any reason why I'd want to pick up the Black Seraph style feat line?