PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Talking Horse

Zhentarim
2016-10-05, 01:58 PM
If I apply my level 4 animal companion ability score increase to my horse's intelligence, does it gain a language?

hamishspence
2016-10-05, 02:03 PM
If I apply my level 4 animal companion ability score increase to my horse's intelligence, does it gain a language?

In core D&D, you may simply not be allowed to.

In Pathfinder, you can:

Pathfinder blog entry on increasing Animal Intelligence (http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lc1y)

but that doesn't mean it will gain the ability to speak - and it might require that effort be put in to teaching it the language you're giving it:

Gaining a language does not necessarily grant the ability to speak. Most animals do not possess the correct anatomy for speech. While a very intelligent dolphin might be taught to understand Common, there's no way for him speak it. There is also the issue of learning the language. The rules are mostly silent on this front, due to ease of play for PCs, but a GM should feel safe in assuming that it might take years to actually teach Common to an intelligent animal. All of this, of course, assumes that the animal even bothers to fill that language slot. Possessing the ability to use a language does not necessarily mean that such an ability is utilised.

Triskavanski
2016-10-05, 02:13 PM
They'd speek in horse code! budum tish!

Ashtagon
2016-10-05, 02:24 PM
Horses don't so much speak as whisper.

Zhentarim
2016-10-05, 02:33 PM
In core D&D, you may simply not be allowed to.

In Pathfinder, you can:

Pathfinder blog entry on increasing Animal Intelligence (http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lc1y)

but that doesn't mean it will gain the ability to speak - and it might require that effort be put in to teaching it the language you're giving it:

That makes sense.

Psyren
2016-10-05, 03:04 PM
If you want your horse to talk, that's what Awaken is for - just keep in mind that you might need Leadership at that point in order to keep it around.

hamishspence
2016-10-05, 03:06 PM
Or bring some magic items from 3.5 forward to Pathfinder - the Pearl of Speech from Magic Item Compendium, in particular.

Gallowglass
2016-10-05, 03:59 PM
If you want your horse to talk, that's what Awaken is for - just keep in mind that you might need Leadership at that point in order to keep it around.

"Well Great, now that you are smart as a man you'll be a much better companion! Now Buttercup...."

"Buttercup was my slave name."

"...what?"

"Buttercup. That was my slave name, bitch. Call me... Wind Reaver!"

"....sure okay, whatever. Now lets get moving toward the city of..."

"Move your own damn self."

*horse canters off*

Psyren
2016-10-05, 04:33 PM
"Well Great, now that you are smart as a man you'll be a much better companion! Now Buttercup...."

"...what?"

*horse canters off*

Don't forget the "present" it leaves you :smallbiggrin:

Bronk
2016-10-05, 04:41 PM

"...what?"

*horse canters off*

Whoa. That name is awesome! Truly the Stormageddon of horses. I need a Wind Reaver in my game...

Knitifine
2016-10-05, 04:57 PM
Why bother getting your horse to talk when you can instead speak to him through the equestriverse? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnvDq-20jsI)