PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Was there ever a Pathfinderization of the Shadowcaster?

digiman619
2016-10-05, 03:09 PM
Tome of Magic was one of the very few 3.5 splatbooks I ever had (money was very tight, and if I'm being honest, most of my disposable income when to Magic: the Gathering) and when I moved to Pathfinder I would occasionally use materials form it. I later found out that the Binder was given a Pathfinder incarnation as Radiance House's Pact Magic Unbound series, and that Interjection games made their own version of Truenamer (though if Dreamscarred Press ever gets their version off the ground I'll probably use their version if the design docs are any indication of their system).

That being said was there ever a Pathfinder version of the Shadowcaster, the middle chapter of Tome of Battle?

Name1
2016-10-05, 03:19 PM
Tome of Magic was one of the very few 3.5 splatbooks I ever had (money was very tight, and if I'm being honest, most of my disposable income when to Magic: the Gathering) and when I moved to Pathfinder I would occasionally use materials form it. I later found out that the Binder was given a Pathfinder incarnation as Radiance House's Pact Magic Unbound series, and that Interjection games made their own version of Truenamer (though if Dreamscarred Press ever gets their version off the ground I'll probably use their version if the design docs are any indication of their system).

That being said was there ever a Pathfinder version of the Shadowcaster, the middle chapter of Tome of Battle?

Isn't there a Wizard Variant in Pathfinder by that name that does something similar.

Psyren
2016-10-05, 03:25 PM
I don't think so and, other than their spells being somatic-only, I'm uncertain what makes them different enough from a standard arcane caster to warrant such an effort to be honest. I think they'd do better as an archetype.

Pyromancer999
2016-10-05, 04:58 PM
I don't think so and, other than their spells being somatic-only, I'm uncertain what makes them different enough from a standard arcane caster to warrant such an effort to be honest. I think they'd do better as an archetype.

There is the Shadowcaster Wizard archetype, which in the end does not give you too much for what you give, although the 10th level replacement ability gives you a bonus to the realness of your Shadow Conjuration and similar spells.

For an equivalent fluff-wise, best I can think of is either the Umbral Scion Sorcerer(which does get a fair amount of flavorful shadow-themed abilities, although at the price of one spell of each level you can cast, so only worth it if you really like the fluff) or maybe a refluffed Blood Arcanist with the Shadow Bloodline.

Knitifine
2016-10-05, 05:01 PM
Here is an attempt. (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2n7h2?The-Pathfinder-Shadowcaster-A-Conversion)

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-05, 10:47 PM
You may want to have a look at Ascension Games's Nightblade (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/ascension-games-llc/nightblade). It uses conventional spellcasting, but also gets a solid and heavily customizeable set of (su) and (sp) abilities. Fluff-wise, it uses shadows, magic, and shadow magic to do... whatever you build it to do, really, and the rest of the fluff is left pretty open. There's also a handy-dandy guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?418529-Into-the-Darkness-a-Guide-to-the-Nightblade) to the class written by yours truly.