PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Axe Beak Cavalier Mount?

ShiningCrusader
2016-10-05, 04:53 PM
Hello everyone. i have a few questions regarding the cavalier mounts and the beast rider archtype

1) the Diatryma Axe Beak is medium size and CR1 like a horse or camel, could a small sized cavalier take one at lv1?
2)could a medium humanoid beast master take a normal axe beak mount at lv 4 as a beast master? i would assume that you couldn't take it at lv1 due it being a CR2 creature.
2)i would like to make a mounted gunslinging cavalier, would it be better to do beast rider/luring cavalier or a dune drifter cavalier that bought a combat trained axe beak for 1500GP?

technically the idea of the character is a gun shooting cowboy on a Chocobo like from final fantasy:smallcool:

Calthropstu
2016-10-05, 05:15 PM
Hello everyone. i have a few questions regarding the cavalier mounts and the beast rider archtype

1) the Diatryma Axe Beak is medium size and CR1 like a horse or camel, could a small sized cavalier take one at lv1?
2)could a medium humanoid beast master take a normal axe beak mount at lv 4 as a beast master? i would assume that you couldn't take it at lv1 due it being a CR2 creature.
2)i would like to make a mounted gunslinging cavalier, would it be better to do beast rider/luring cavalier or a dune drifter cavalier that bought a combat trained axe beak for 1500GP?

technically the idea of the character is a gun shooting cowboy on a Chocobo like from final fantasy:smallcool:
mount + fireball = out 1500 gp.
Seriously, unless it gains some special boosts, mounts die in pathfinder very very easily. The higher you go in level, the more likely that axebeak is to end up on a dinner plate. So however you do it, make that mount magical.

ShiningCrusader
2016-10-05, 05:29 PM
mount + fireball = out 1500 gp.
Seriously, unless it gains some special boosts, mounts die in pathfinder very very easily. The higher you go in level, the more likely that axebeak is to end up on a dinner plate. So however you do it, make that mount magical.

that doesn't answer my questions though.

Calthropstu
2016-10-05, 06:45 PM
that doesn't answer my questions though.
The answer to your question is: do either of those make that mount stronger than an ordinary axebeak? If the answer is no, then do neither. If one does, take it. Seriously, you will be throwing money away, and I don't see that axebeak surviving even level 1... which, btw, you'll have a very tough time getting your gm to let you just have a 1500 gp axebeak at lvl 1.
Most likely the answer to your question is: both are terrible, and will have you mountless very very quickly.

Knitifine
2016-10-05, 06:53 PM
Not without special permission from your GM. The Axe Beak's statistics as an animal companion can be found here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions). A druid can take this as an animal companion though.

2)could a medium humanoid beast master take a normal axe beak mount at lv 4 as a beast master? i would assume that you couldn't take it at lv1 due it being a CR2 creature.I don't see an archetype called beast master. If you mean Beast Rider (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/archetypes/paizo---cavalier-archetypes/beast-rider), then the answer is yes. The axebeak as an animal companion would be large enough to be mounted, and thus would qualify for the Beast Rider's animal companion.

2)i would like to make a mounted gunslinging cavalier, would it be better to do beast rider/luring cavalier or a dune drifter cavalier that bought a combat trained axe beak for 1500GP?As previously mentioned by another posted, mounts that are purchased tend to end up dying in the long run, due to a lack of scaling.

Calthropstu
2016-10-05, 07:06 PM
Not without special permission from your GM. The Axe Beak's statistics as an animal companion can be found here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions). A druid can take this as an animal companion though.
I don't see an archetype called beast master. If you mean Beast Rider (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/archetypes/paizo---cavalier-archetypes/beast-rider), then the answer is yes. The axebeak as an animal companion would be large enough to be mounted, and thus would qualify for the Beast Rider's animal companion.
As previously mentioned by another posted, mounts that are purchased tend to end up dying in the long run, due to a lack of scaling.

Ah, yeah I didn't see beast master and wasn't sure what it was, and didn't feel like digging.

Yeah, if it's an animal companion, that works. Non Scaling animals simply die and need to be constantly replaced by more and more expensive beasts. Beast Rider far outweighs the other option in that case.

Knitifine
2016-10-05, 07:09 PM
Upon rereading Beast Rider more closely, I've found that the selected companion is listed as requiring four legs.
For this reason, I would suggest Hunter or Druid instead, if you really want an axe beak.

Or talk to your GM. Maybe they'll float some of the finer rules for you. It's not like an axe beak is terribly powerful.

ShiningCrusader
2016-10-05, 09:29 PM
The answer to your question is: do either of those make that mount stronger than an ordinary axebeak? If the answer is no, then do neither. If one does, take it. Seriously, you will be throwing money away, and I don't see that axebeak surviving even level 1... which, btw, you'll have a very tough time getting your gm to let you just have a 1500 gp axebeak at lvl 1.
Most likely the answer to your question is: both are terrible, and will have you mountless very very quickly.

sorry, i really sounded like a jerk. i didn't fully realize what you where saying. yeah spending 1500gps of a mount and then having it get killed would be a great wast.

I don't see an archetype called beast master. If you mean Beast Rider (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/archetypes/paizo---cavalier-archetypes/beast-rider), then the answer is yes. The axebeak as an animal companion would be large enough to be mounted, and thus would qualify for the Beast Rider's animal companion.
As previously mentioned by another posted, mounts that are purchased tend to end up dying in the long run, due to a lack of scaling.

whoops! yeah i meant beast rider. and when you mean it qualifies, you mean at lv 4 and beyond right?

Ah, yeah I didn't see beast master and wasn't sure what it was, and didn't feel like digging.

Yeah, if it's an animal companion, that works. Non Scaling animals simply die and need to be constantly replaced by more and more expensive beasts. Beast Rider far outweighs the other option in that case.

yeah i would prefer to have a animal companion over a very expensive squishy normal mount.

Upon rereading Beast Rider more closely, I've found that the selected companion is listed as requiring four legs.
For this reason, I would suggest Hunter or Druid instead, if you really want an axe beak.

Or talk to your GM. Maybe they'll float some of the finer rules for you. It's not like an axe beak is terribly powerful.

yeah, i will have to talk it over with him, though i don't know why the mount has to have 4 legs. doesn't a tyrannosaurus only have two legs? and that is a valid mount for the beast rider!

side note: would a axe beak still turn into a terror bird axe beak at lv5 when it gains 5HD?

Psyren
2016-10-05, 11:40 PM
I'd point your GM to the novel Animal Farm in which the protagonist (Snowball) explains that wings should count as legs, not hands.

side note: would a axe beak still turn into a terror bird axe beak at lv5 when it gains 5HD?

They're separate creatures. If one can turn into the other it will be via GM fiat.

ShiningCrusader
2016-10-06, 10:16 AM
I'd point your GM to the novel Animal Farm in which the protagonist (Snowball) explains that wings should count as legs, not hands.

They're separate creatures. If one can turn into the other it will be via GM fiat.

another thing to ask the DM i suppose. it would be pretty sweet though!

magwaaf
2016-10-16, 12:25 PM
in the last game i played which was 4 and a half years long we had multiple animal companions and they are all great at living ind kicking ass. they were always useful and never a detriment and i don't think they ever died

the_david
2016-10-16, 05:12 PM
You could use the Evolved Companion feat to give your Axe Beak claws, and you can give your Axe Beak the Improved Critical feat once you hit level 11.

Now you can call your Axe Beak a Terror Bird.