PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Refluff/Homebrew Challenge Summon Monster into Videogame Characters.

dascarletm
2016-10-05, 04:54 PM
Background:
So, I'm starting a pathfinder game set in a cyberpunk campaign setting. One of my players showed interest in having "digital magic," so I'm making a bloodline and spells to work in that theme. Where I can refluff I refluff. I started with shadow magic, because it is similar to what the player wants.

What I need:
I need help coming up with summon monsters. Right now it is my biggest challenge I've faced. I want there to be a spell line just like summon monster, but instead it summons retro game characters. These could be mario, a goomba, link, sonic, the guy from contra, etc. I want them to be fairly recognizable and balanced with summon monster or summon natures ally. If I can refluff existing creatures that is great as well.
So. I need the playground's help here. We start on monday, so if possible I'd like to have the first couple spell levels done by then.

Thank You!

Also here is my current bloodline if you are interested:

Class Skill: Computer Use

Bonus Spells
Color Spray (3rd), Shadow Anchor* (5th), Digital Step** (7th), Phantasmal Killer* (9th), Shadow Evocation* (11th), Enter the Digital World (13th), Project Image (15th), Trap the Soul** (17th), Create Demiplane, Greater (19th).

*These spells take on a digital aspect. For example, Shadow Anchor would be a digitally created anchor tethering the opponent to a position.
**Digital Step functions as Urban Step except you use video screens instead of doorways, and Trap the Soul uses a hard drive instead of a gem (same cost).
Bonus Feats
Blind-Fight, Dodge, Endurance, Expanded Arcana, Improved Counterspell, Improved Iron Will, Iron Will, Quicken Spell, Skill Focus (Computer Use), Toughness.

Bloodline Arcana
Whenever you summon a digital creature, or cast a spell creating a digital manifestation increase the duration by 50%

Bloodline Powers
Digital Weapon (Sp)

Starting at 1st level, you can summon a digital weapon for one round to attack your enemies as a standard action, targeting any foe within 30 ft. as a ranged touch attack. The weapon deals 1d6+1 damage for every 2 sorcerer levels you possess. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier.

Helpful Avatar (Sp)

At 3rd level, you can summon a tiny avatar of yourself that can be used to make melee touch attacks as part of a spell with a range of touch. You can make melee touch attacks as if you had an additional 5 feet of reach. You must have a free hand with which to direct the avatar.

This ability does not otherwise increase your threatened area, but it’s range increase also increases your .Digital Weapon’s reach. At 11th level, this additional reach increases to 10 feet. At 17th level, this additional reach increases to 15 feet.

Screen Saver (Sp)

At 9th level, you can create a sheet of cascading colors. This power acts as a wall of fire, but it inflicts electricity damage and does not radiate heat. However, one side of the wall designated by you fascinates creatures within 10 feet, up to a maximum of 2 HD of creatures per sorcerer level. A Will save negates this fascinate effect. The save DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 your sorcerer level + your Charisma modifier. You may use this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to your sorcerer level. These rounds do not need to be consecutive.

Virtual Reality (Sp)

At 15th level, your caster level is increased by 3 when casting spells that interact with the digital world. In addition, once per day you can banish a single creature within 30 feet into a virtual reality if it fails a Will save. The save DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 your sorcerer level + your Charisma modifier. The target can attempt a new saving throw as a full-round action each round to return. While trapped the reality attempts to break down their existence and incorporate it into the world. They take 6d6 points of damage each round, and after their constitution modifier in rounds has elapsed they must make a constitution check (DC 10 +1/each successful save) or be instantly absorbed. Absorbing takes three rounds to accomplish, but renders the target unconscious. They can still be saved in this time by another.

Ascend Reality (Su)

At 20th level, you can drift into the digital world, fading from the world around you. You can become incorporeal for 1 minute per sorcerer level. You gain the incorporeal subtype and take only half damage from corporeal magical attacks (you take no damage from nonmagical weapons and objects). Your spells deal only half damage to corporeal creatures, but spells and abilities that do not deal damage function normally. The duration need not be continuous, but it must be used in 1-minute increments.

Enter the Digital World
CASTING
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S

EFFECT
Range touch
Targets up to one touched creature/level
Duration 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw Will negates; Spell Resistance yes

DESCRIPTION
To use this spell, you must within 20 feet of an object connected to the internet. You and any creature you touch are then transported along the web to a world between the digital and the real. You can take more than one creature along with you (subject to your level limit), but all must be touching each other.

In the digital world, you move at a rate of 50 miles per hour, moving normally in the digital realm, but much more rapidly relative to the Material Plane. Thus, you can use this spell to travel rapidly by stepping onto the internet, moving the desired distance, and then stepping back onto the Material Plane.

Because you must locate your location via IP, you can’t make out details of the terrain or areas you pass over during transit, nor can you predict perfectly where your travel will end. It’s impossible to judge distances accurately, making the spell virtually useless for scouting or spying. Furthermore, when the spell effect ends, you are shunted 1d10 x 100 feet in a random horizontal direction from your desired endpoint. If this would place you in an area without an internet port, you are shunted 1d10 x 1,000 feet in the same direction. If this would still place you in an area without internet access, you (and any creatures with you) are shunted to the nearest internet connected device available, but the strain of this activity renders each creature fatigued (no save).

Other creatures you transport may opt to follow you, wander off through the plane, or stumble back into the Material Plane (50% chance for either of the latter results if they are lost or abandoned by you). Creatures unwilling to accompany you into the digital realm receive a Will saving throw, negating the effect if successful.

Digital Manifestation
Digital manifestations are similar to summoning creatures, except instead of calling a creature from a plane of existence you create a fully formed digital creature. These spells are similar to summon monster I-IX except you use this table below.

Manifestation Table

unfinished

I'll keep a list of anything anyone or myself comes up with here.

Psyren
2016-10-05, 07:01 PM
Your better bet might be to build each of these as custom eidolon configurations and have the player be a Summoner. Donkey Kong and Mario are strong bruisers with big Jump checks, Sonic is a speedster with pounce, Link is a biped with a sword etc.

dascarletm
2016-10-06, 10:16 AM
Your better bet might be to build each of these as custom eidolon configurations and have the player be a Summoner. Donkey Kong and Mario are strong bruisers with big Jump checks, Sonic is a speedster with pounce, Link is a biped with a sword etc.

I would say, that but she played a summoner in our last campaign, and wants to play a different class. I suppose I could make the creatures similar to an eidolon of different levels. Level 3 for Summon 1, level 5 for summon 2 ect. Do you think that would be fair balance wise?

Psyren
2016-10-06, 10:20 AM
I just think it would be a lot of work finding summonable monsters that capture the feel of each of these characters. I mean, you can summon a Celestial Dire Hedgehog and paint it blue, but it's not going to feel remotely like you're summoning Sonic. Whereas something more customizable like an Eidolon stands a better chance of capturing that feel.

How do you all feel about psionics? Another "build-a-monster" class would be a Shaper Psion who can build various configurations of Astral Construct, or an Egoist who could transform themselves into same.

dascarletm
2016-10-06, 10:25 AM
I just think it would be a lot of work finding summonable monsters that capture the feel of each of these characters. I mean, you can summon a Celestial Dire Hedgehog and paint it blue, but it's not going to feel remotely like you're summoning Sonic. Whereas something more customizable like an Eidolon stands a better chance of capturing that feel.

How do you all feel about psionics? Another "build-a-monster" class would be a Shaper Psion who can build various configurations of Astral Construct, or an Egoist who could transform themselves into same.

That could work. I would have to "pre-make" them for her though. She's not going to be able to put in the time for it. I personally love psionics, but for this campaign I'm refluffing psionics as cybernetics so wouldn't work. I could however use those powers as a base to design her summons. It would probably be more balanced than summoning what is basically an eidolon.