PDA

View Full Version : Build Advice (crossbow rogue)

Forumlurker
2016-10-06, 01:03 AM
Hello Playground!
I recently joined my very first DnD campaign (3.5e. Actually my first ever TTRPG), and I'd like a bit of advice regarding my current character build.

Pertinent campaign information:
(will include a list of books used)
firstly, my DM has ruled that Flanking applies to ranged weapons

secondly, said DM messed up when applying initiator level to the highest level of maneuvers known, and decided to roll with it. Level of maneuvers known is now 1-1 with initiator level. Thus, martial adept classes (ToB) are EXTREMELY powerful in the earlier levels, and are also very attractive for multiclassing.

Thirdly, we are using the Falling Star martial school.

And now for the builds in question, a level 5 human rogue who uses a Quick Loading Heavy Repeating Crossbow. Feats include Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot. (I'll post the character sheet when I'm allowed to post links).

What are your thoughts?

weckar
2016-10-06, 01:11 AM
So initiators get 9th level maneuvers at lv 9? Wow. Okay. And you can sneak attack by flanking with a ranged weapon?

Assassin's Stance called, it asks to be taken.

Forumlurker
2016-10-06, 01:29 AM
So initiators get 9th level maneuvers at lv 9? Wow. Okay. And you can sneak attack by flanking with a ranged weapon?

Assassin's Stance called, it asks to be taken.
Indeed. I was already planning to take Assassin's stance. It'll buff up my damage output considerably. (and make up for the SA I lose for multiclassing.) Another nice thing is that we have another rogue-swordsage in the party who's gone more the route of a melee skirmisher; and what do you know, flanking granted by the Island of Blades stance ALSO applies to ranged weapons.

Right now, I'm mostly thinking about when to start the multiclass. The Falling Star discipline pretty much doesn't exist yet, as it's going to be part of a quest at some point later on in the campaign. I'd prefer to hold out for that, as that discipline is going to be taking up the vast majority of my known maneuvers list.

Knitifine
2016-10-06, 01:33 AM
my DM has ruled that Flanking applies to ranged weaponsHow does that work? Are you just always flanked if you have a ranged attacker on both sides?

etrpgb
2016-10-06, 02:39 AM
Not really, check it out (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Flanking). I think the maneuver so fast are kinda a problem, but the flank with ranged weapons is actually nice.

Forumlurker
2016-10-06, 10:35 AM
Not really, check it out. I think the maneuver so fast are kinda a problem, but the flank with ranged weapons is actually nice.
I'd also had some worries about getting high level maneuvers that fast, but like I said, the DM decided to stick with it, so I may as well take advantage of it. I was already planning to mutliclass into swordsage, so this just makes it an even better choice.