PDA

View Full Version : Wacky Epic Builds

Kane0
2016-10-06, 01:20 AM
Having just finished a nostalgic rerun through NWN:HotU I'm interested in seeing what people can come up with if given some somewhat over the top build parameters:

- Regular starting array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) and average HP rolls
- Level 30. Since we don't have epic class levels to work with this will mean multiclassing. Prof bonus will become +7 at level 21, +8 at level 25 and +9 at level 29.
- Cannot take levels in more than 3 classes
- Can have magic gear, try to avoid custom and legendary stuff if possible
- All nomal restrictions remain (minimum stat score for multiclassing, reqs for feats, 3 attunement slots, etc)
- Bonus points for story and flavor!

I'll start off real quick:

Chaotic Good Variant Human (Sailor)
Paladin (Ancients) 8 / Sorcerer (Brass Dragon) 14 / Warlock (Fey, Blade) 8
Str 20 Dex 8 Con* 14 Int 10 Wis* 12 Cha* 20

HP 218 +35 Temp
AC 21 (Fullplate + Shield)
Prof Bonus +9

Skills:
Athletics
Deception
Insight
Intimidation
Perception
Performance
Persuasion

Feats:
Resilient (Con)
Actor
Warcaster
Inspiring Leader
Lucky

Pally (Ancients):
Lay on Hands (40)
Fighting Style (Defense)
Divine Health
Aura of Protection (+5)
Aura of Warding

Sorc (Brass Dragon):
Font of Magic
Metamagic (Quicken, Twinned, Subtle)
Draconic Resilience
Elemental Affinity (Fire)
Dragon Wings

Lock (Fey Blade):
Fey Presense
Pact Blade
Misty Escape

Agonizing Blast
Beguiling Influence
Devil's Sight
Mask of Many Faces

Spellcasting:
Spell Attack +14
Spell DC 22
9 Cantrips Known
31 Spells Known/Available (+4 Ancients Paladin Bonus)

Slots & Notable Spells:
4x 1st (Bless, Shield, Cure Wounds, Absorb Elements, Searing Smite, Ensnaring Strike, Speak with Animals, Hex, Feather Fall)
3x 2nd (Find Steed, Lesser Restoration, Moonbeam, Darkness, Misty Step, Detect Thoughts, Hold Person, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Suggestion, Web)
3x 3rd (Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Haste, Water Breathing)
3x 4th +2 Short Rest (Banishment, Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility)
3x 5th (Dominate Person, Hold Monster, Teleportation Circle)
1x 6th (Arcane Gate, Disintegrate, True Seeing)
1x 7th (Plane Shift, Teleport)
1x 8th
1x 9th

Mordwyn is many things. Originally an unfortunate sailor washed up on some remote island, he was lucky enough to find some friends in the local Fey that inhabited it. He spent many long years surviving amongst them and defending both them and himself from outsiders, primarily Dragons. Even in his 40s he was the youngest sentient on the island, a perpetual curiosity, and quite often found himself somewhat of an emissary between the two longer lived creatures of the isle. Such exposure left him with several boons, ranging from powerful spellcasting to an sharp tongue and a graceful pair of wings. He has had many opportunities to leave the isle but some excuse or other has always kept him there, or at least brought him back within a few months. Now in his twilight years Mordwyn seeks to roam the realms and do heroic deeds one last time before possibly settling down back on his island home.
Mordwyn is a capable and dangerous individual, though he usually avoids violence. Easily capable of talking his way out of most strife or passing himself off as someone else entirely, Mordwyn backs up his eloquent authority with substantial magical power. Should his words and spells fail him he is no slouch in a fight either, easily taking on most opponents head to head. When with friends he can bolster them considerably beyond their normal capabilities, but even alone he is a force to be reckoned with. Add to this his impressive repertoire of spells and abilities and there is almost certainly something Mordwyn can do to help out someone in (or save himself from) trouble.

TL:DR Level 30 Feyknight that balances out frontline melee, support caster and face roles for a well blended whole.

Show me what you got, Playgrounders!

Mongobear
2016-10-06, 03:49 AM
Kragvarr "the Merciful"
Chaotic Neutral Half-Orc (Outlander)
Barbarian (Totem Warrior) 20 / Fighter (Champion) 10
Str* 24 Dex 14 Con* 24 Int 10 Wis* 14 Cha 8 (Level 1 stats - 16 13 16 10 12 8 after Racial mods)

HP 475
AC 23 (+3 Half Plate + Defense Fighting Style + Ring of Protection + Cloak of Protection)
Prof Bonus +9

Weapon: +3 Great Axe +19 To Hit (1d12 +10 (+Rage Bonuses) )
Armor: +3 Half Plate

Attuned Items: Ring of Resistance(Psychic), Ring of Protection, Cloak of Protection

Skills:
Atheletics
Intimidate
Medicine
Nature
Perception
Stealth
Survival

Feats:
Great Weapon Master
Resilient(Wisdom)
Tough

Barbarian (Totem Warrior)
Rage (Unlimited Uses)
Unarmored Defense
Reckless Attacks
Danger Sense
Extra Attack
Fast Movement
Feral Instinct
Brutal Critical(3 dice)
Relentless Rage
Persistent Rage
Indomitable Might
Primal Champion
Spirit Seeker
Totem Spirit(Bear) - Resistance to all damage except Psychic while Raging
Aspect of the Beast(Tiger) - Proficiency in 2 extra Skills
Spirit Walker
Totemic Attunement(Bear) - Foes within 5 ft have disadvantage attacking allies other than me, unless they're immune to Frightened or have this feature.

Fighter(Champion)
Second Wind
Great Weapon Fighting Style
Action Surge
Extra Attack
Indomitable(one use)
Improve Critical - Score critical hit with weapon attack on a 19-20
Remarkable Athlete - Long Jump Distance increased by Strength Modifier. Half proficiency on Str/Dex/Con checks that dont already use it.
Additional Fighting Style: Defense - +1 AC while wearing Armor

Half-Orc:
Relentless - Go to 1 hp instead of 0 once/long rest
Savage Attacker - Extra dice on a critical hit
Intimidate proficiency
Darkvision

Kragvarr "the Merciful" earned his moniker by dispatching his foes in the most merciful way he could think of, a single solid blow to a vital area. He doesn't enjoy all of the clean-up involved with a long drawn out fight. Killing foes in a single chop of his might Great Axe is best, so as not to scuff up his finely tailored outfit, but also to increase the amount of enemies he can show "Mercy" to in a single day.

Special Notes - Infinite Rages + Level 3 Bear Totem + Ring of Psychic Resistance = Literally resistant to every type of damage in 5e. With 475 HP, it would take several small armies, or one VERY large one to bring Kragvarr down.

Also, obvious crit fishing build taken to the extreme, Half-Orc crit boost + Barbarian Crit boost, a normal critical with a Great Axe and GWM would roll (6d12 + 26) while Raging, rerolling 1s and 2s.

EDIT: Fixed to get rid of discrepancies with magic items and game mechanics for calculating Armor Class.

Arkhios
2016-10-06, 05:13 AM
Quick Peek to what I would do (I'll return later to finish it, I'm currently on my phone and editing is bit of a PITA).

Paladin (ancients) 20 / Bard (Lore) 10

Dual Wielder
Tavern Brawler
War Caster

Assuming 7 ASI's + human variant feat, that leaves 5 ASI for stats.

Str 20, Dex 8, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 20

A total of 20 caster levels, but only up to 5th level spells known (nothing to worry about, 6th level slots and beyond would basically be reserved for Cure Wounds with Elder Champion, and for occasional 7th level Elemental Weapon).

Background (Member of the Wolf Clan):
Heir to a legacy of a legendary archmage from nomadic roots, a barbaric would-be-wizard turned paladin of Kord and a Protector of the Old Faith, driven by wanderlust and an unquenchable thirst for ancient lore, eventually mingling with Fochlucan University.

As a worshiper of Kord, Magical Secrets would add more thunder and lightning spells to his repertoire (not Booming Blade because it goes to waste with Extra Attack and Improved Divine Smite).

Foxydono
2016-10-06, 05:32 AM
For a melee character I would do deep stalker ranger 6 for extra attack and advantage on initiative and greater favored enemy, then assassin 20 which is really good and lastly 4 levels in warlock, scaling eldrich blast, but also devils sight. You'll do an insane amount of damage. In total you get 8 ability score improvements.

Edit: if you start human variant (warlock route) :
8 str, 14 con, 16 dex, 14 wis, int 10, cha 12.
You'll have nine ability score improvements.
- resilient cha
- resilient str
- resilient con
- +1 con/+1 cha
- +2 dex
- Sharpshooter
- Crossbow expert
- Alert (+10 and advantage on inniative)
- Lucky feat

Final stats: str 9, con 16, dex 20, wis 14, int 10, cha 14.

What you get: insane damage and utility with rogue. Especially on your first turn 400+ dmg. Not to mention you almost always go first. Proficient in all saving throws with +9 bonus. Devils sight, darkvision and blindsense so you can see everyone. Uncanny dodge, evasion, elusive, rogues luck, Lucky feat and death strike (DC 20 or double damage = 800+ dmg). And not to forget +18 proficiency bonus in four skills!

Edit 2: alternative
Level 20 champion fighter for 3 extra attacks per turn and use action surge twice. Then level 3 deep stalker ranger for another attack and advantage on initiative rolls and level 7 rogue assassin for evasion and assassinate (and expertise of course). This is probably the highest damage output build for a melee character. If your going caster there are a lot of other good options!

Arkhios
2016-10-06, 05:35 AM
then assassin 21

Can't be done. None of the classes advance beyond 20th level.

Foxydono
2016-10-06, 06:00 AM
Can't be done. None of the classes advance beyond 20th level.
He says so in his thread. So in this game it can.

2016-10-06, 06:26 AM
He says so in his thread. So in this game it can.

He explicitly said otherwise.

Level 30. Since we don't have epic class levels to work with this will mean multiclassing.

Foxydono
2016-10-06, 06:56 AM
Prof bonus will become +7 at level 21, +8 at level 25 and +9 at level 29.
I disagree. This obviously means you can get level 21 or higher. What he means I think is that you don't get extra skills for getting above level 20. Only your prof bonus will get higher. That makes the most sense if you ask me.

Edit: so therefore he says he needs to multiclass, because it would make little sense to get a lvl 30 fighter if you do not get extra abilities or skills beside a boost in your profiency bonus.

Specter
2016-10-06, 07:01 AM
I would have to try Devotion Paladin 12/Open Hand Monk 18, the Holy Fist of Justice who never fails a save (Aura of Protection + Diamond Soul).

2016-10-06, 07:05 AM
I disagree. This obviously means you can get level 21 or higher. What he means I think is that you don't get extra skills for getting above level 20. Only your prof bonus will get higher. That makes the most sense if you ask me.

Class levels stack together in multiclassing to determine level for purposes of determining proficiency bonus. Just as a Paladin 4/Monk 4/Fighter 4/Rogue 4/Ranger 4 has a +6 proficiency bonus, a Paladin 20/Monk 10 has a +9. You have no valid argument.

N810
2016-10-06, 07:07 AM
Pretty sure he means over all level, not just levels in one class.

Elminster298
2016-10-06, 07:10 AM

Edit: so therefore he says he needs to multiclass, because it would make little sense to get a lvl 30 fighter if you do not get extra abilities or skills beside a boost in your profiency bonus.

Incorrect. Proficiency bonus is based off of total character level so he needed to say what it would be at those CHARACTER levels. You gain absolutely nothing for advancing a class more than 20 levels so there is absolutely no reason to do so.

Foxydono
2016-10-06, 07:15 AM
Incorrect. Proficiency bonus is based off of total character level so he needed to say what it would be at those CHARACTER levels. You gain absolutely nothing for advancing a class more than 20 levels so there is absolutely no reason to do so.
Ah really? I did not know this! Well in this case you guys are absoluty right of course. I take back my previous statement then. I will also edit my first post.

MrStabby
2016-10-06, 07:16 AM
Hmm. I am pondering a warlock/Divination wizard who can cast arcane eye at will to never run out of low level spell slots. I think there might even be a couple of levels left over to add in Paladin to smite with those slots.

Arkhios
2016-10-06, 07:25 AM
Ah really? I did not know this! Well in this case you guys are absoluty right of course. I take back my previous statement then. I will also edit my first post.

That is what I was implying. Classes simply don't have actual levels more than 20.
Key here is to understand the difference between concepts of class level and character level. A class "ends" at class level 20, but a character level can, in theory, advance past it by taking levels in another class.

Asmotherion
2016-10-06, 08:26 AM
Here are some really nice builds:

The Ultimate Arcane-Eldritch Tank-Canon/Ultimate Magus-Eldritch Theurge: Fiend Patron Warlock 3 (Tome Pact), Abjurer Wizard 18, Dragon Sorcerer 9.

The Super-Nova Build (Who keeps being usefull after the Nova): Blade Warlock 12, Paladin 2, Eldritch Knight 16 (two weapon fighting for twice the power).

The Flash: Wood Elf (Shadow) Monk 18, Rogue 2, Fighter 10 Mobile Feat.

The Javelin Tank-Beast: Either Barbarian 10 Druid 20 or Barbarian 20 Druid 10. Edit: Totem Barbarian (Bear), Moon Druid. Now, unless you meet a mind flayer you'll never Fall. Add in a Ring of the Mind and you have universal dammage resistance even in your wild shape. Barbarian 20 makes sure you can rage for ever and is more consistant. Druid 20 is however more versalite.

The Arcane Machine Gun With Bayonet: Warlock 2 Fighter (Eldritch Knight) 17 Sorcerer (Dragon) 11. Or sub a couple of Sorcerer levels for Paladin 2 (if we lift the restriction on 3 classes).

The point is, if players were given more than 20 levels, you can slowly create something virtually omnipotent. Until/unless an Epic Monster Manual comes out, it will be way too boring to play such a campain, and players will start merelly killing each other, just to test their power. Also, after killing the Terrasque for the 10th time, it will become boring.

Hmm. I am pondering a warlock/Divination wizard who can cast arcane eye at will to never run out of low level spell slots. I think there might even be a couple of levels left over to add in Paladin to smite with those slots.
Please note that this would not work. By RAW, the Expert Divination feature has the line: "When you cast a divination spell of 2nd level or higher using a spell slot, you regain one expanded spell slot". This means that using this with either the Warlock Invocation or the Spell Mastery feature won't work.

MaxDPSsays
2016-10-06, 10:17 AM
I am AFB right now, but I don't think unarmored defense and bracers of defense stack. If I remember right, they both derive the base AC. Also, I believe defensive fighting style requires you to be wearing armor for the +1 AC bonus, which wouldn't work with unarmored defense.

N810
2016-10-06, 10:55 AM
the Bracers stack, using them right now with unarmored.
it's just +AC.

Not sure about defensive fighting style though.

zioth
2016-10-06, 10:57 AM
The stupidly ridiculous skill monkey. It would be better with more than 3 classes (warlock 2 / ranger 1), but whatever. You didn't specify how many magic items we have, so I'll just assume it's however many we want.

Half-elf Rogue(thief) 12 / Bard (lore) 17 / Cleric (knowledge) 1, with any background that grants 2 skills

CHA 18, DEX 20, WIS 15, INT 16, STR 10, CON 8
Boosted with 5 tomes and the Belt of Giant Strength:
CHA 18(20), DEX 20(22), WIS 15(17), INT 16(18), CON 10, STR 8(29)

Feats: Skilled, Lucky

Skills:

+4 to 5 skills and all ability checks not tied to a skill
+9 to 8 skills
+18 to 5 skills plus thieves' tools
Peerless Skill: You can use a d12 inspiration die on your own skills
Advantage on stealth if you move at half speed
You can reroll skill checks 3/day (Lucky feat)
A roll of 9 or lower counts as a 10
Use thieves' tools as a bonus action
Use acrobatics checks to climb at full speed
Improved acrobatics (jump) checks

The best skill is Stealth. With bardic inspiration and expertise, the skill has an average roll of 36.75, a minimum of 34 and a max of 44. Then you can take the best out of three rolls (lucky feat + advantage).

Another good skill is Athletics, with an average roll of 39.75, a minimum of 37 and a max of 47.

In addition to skill monkeying, this character is a full caster with 9th level spells.

There you go. No flavor, no story. Just a stupid, non-optimal build that I'd actually really enjoy playing. :)

Arkhios
2016-10-06, 11:46 AM
it's just +AC.

Bracers work as long as you don't wear any type of armor.

Defensive fighting style requires a type of armor to be worn.

There's a pretty clear conflict going on there.

Elminster298
2016-10-06, 12:06 PM

The defensive style requires armor but if I remember right mariner gives +1 ac withiut armor. Right?

Arkhios
2016-10-06, 12:18 PM
The defensive style requires armor but if I remember right mariner gives +1 ac withiut armor. Right?

yes, mariner would work (if allowed, as it's from UA)

Elminster298
2016-10-06, 12:27 PM

I thought mariner was out of UA now. Isn't it in the piratey book that adds minotaurs and such?

Mongobear
2016-10-06, 12:44 PM
I am AFB right now, but I don't think unarmored defense and bracers of defense stack. If I remember right, they both derive the base AC. Also, I believe defensive fighting style requires you to be wearing armor for the +1 AC bonus, which wouldn't work with unarmored defense.

it's just +AC.

Shields are armor and I am using an Animated Shield in the build I linked.

The only question is whether or not it counts while animated since I dont directly have my hands on it.

Arkhios
2016-10-06, 12:44 PM
I thought mariner was out of UA now. Isn't it in the piratey book that adds minotaurs and such?

There's no such thing as piratey book adding minotaurs etc. unfortunately. You are remembering the UA article 'Waterborne Adventures', which had those options in it.

Arkhios
2016-10-06, 12:50 PM
Shields are armor and I am using an Animated Shield in the build I linked.

The only question is whether or not it counts while animated since I dont directly have my hands on it.
Bracers of Defense (and many other abilities or effects actually) differentiate Armors and Shields separately. The detail that they are in the same equipment table doesn't mean shields are armor per sé. They add to your Armor Class but that's pretty much as far as it goes for being "armor".

The shield leaps into the air and hovers in your space to protect you as if you were wielding it, leaving your hands free.
Judging from the wording I would say: No, Bracers of Defense won't function when using Animated Shield. Hovering or not.

Mongobear
2016-10-06, 01:06 PM
Bracers of Defense (and many other abilities or effects actually) differentiate Armors and Shields separately. The detail that they are in the same equipment table doesn't mean shields are armor per sé. They add to your Armor Class but that's pretty much as far as it goes for being "armor".

Barbarian Unarmored Defense points out both armor and shields. But specifically allows shield to be worn and not interfere with the effect, therefore Shields must count as armor, or else there would be no reason for that line to actually be in that ability.

This does throw a bit of a Wrench into the Bracers of Defence usage though, but I can easily grab a different item, or even go with +3 Half Plater and end up with the samae general AC AND have another item slot for an attunement item, perhaps a Ring of Protection/Cloak of Protection or something.

Judging from the wording I would say: No, Bracers of Defense won't function when using Animated Shield. Hovering or not.

Addressed above.

Arkhios
2016-10-06, 01:13 PM
Barbarian Unarmored Defense points out both armor and shields. But specifically allows shield to be worn and not interfere with the effect, therefore Shields must count as armor, or else there would be no reason for that line to actually be in that ability.

That doesn't prove that shields were any more armor than they are now. That's basically just wishful reading. Even in the player's handbook Armor and Shields are described separately from each other.

The Armor table collects the most commonly available types of armor found in the game and separates them into three categories: light armor,
medium armor, and heavy armor. Many warriors supplement their armor with a shield.
...the above quote pretty clearly says that there are only three types of armor: Light, medium, and heavy. And shields are none of these.

JAL_1138
2016-10-06, 01:29 PM
How about Half-Elf Ancients Paladin 7 / Battlemaster 3/ Warlock 2 / Lore Bard 18 with Polearm Master?

Start with 16 10 14 8 12 16 from half-elf, take PAM at Pally 4. Start taking Bard levels after that so you can get your ASIs and spells quickly enough. ASI CHA to 18 at Bard 4, ASI STR to 18 at Bard 8, ASI CHA to 20 at Bard 12, ASI STR to 20 at Bard 16.

You now have a character that can fill almost every single role in the game. Ranged damage? Yep. Tank? Not great, but it can manage a bit. Melee? Smite for days and Superiority Dice. Spellcasting? Very yes. Skills? Yep (JoAT and Peerless Skill can partly cover for the low Int). Healing? Yep. Gets you Heavy Armor, Divine Smite, Aura of Protection, Aura of Warding, Cutting Words, Magical Secrets, Expertise, Action Surge, Superiority Dice, and Agonizing Blast. Could go EK 3 instead of BM 3 to pick up some extra spellcasting like Shield at the expense of Superiority Dice.

Mongobear
2016-10-06, 01:31 PM
That doesn't prove that shields were any more armor than they are now. That's basically just wishful reading. Even in the player's handbook Armor and Shields are described separately from each other.

...the above quote pretty clearly says that there are only three types of armor: Light, medium, and heavy. And shields are none of these.

Kinda sounds like wishful reading to me as well.

What I said previously, specifying that Barbarian Unarmored Defense allows the use of a shield is redundant if Shields dont count as Armor to begin with. That line ONLY MATTERS if Shields were in fact Armor because it would have broken Unarmored Defense.

With your interpretation, there is no reason at all for the line allowing Shields in that ability, they're not Armor anyways.

EDIT: This whole point is pretty moot to begin with, I just randomly checked stuff in the DMG and noticed that I didn't read Bracers of Defense at all, they dont work with a Shield at all. So I will probably be replacing them and likely changing the second Fighting style for something else, perhaps Mariner if Unearthed Arcana is allowed for this?

Specter
2016-10-06, 01:38 PM
You guys are missing the part that says 'no more than three classes'.

JAL_1138
2016-10-06, 01:43 PM
You guys are missing the part that says 'no more than three classes'.

Oops. Scratch Warlock 2 from my proposed build and go Paladin 7/Battlemaster 4 or Paladin 8/ Battlemaster 3 and go Bard 19 for either one to pick up two extra ASIs or feats then.

Arkhios
2016-10-06, 01:44 PM
Kinda sounds like wishful reading to me as well.

What I said previously, specifying that Barbarian Unarmored Defense allows the use of a shield is redundant if Shields dont count as Armor to begin with. That line ONLY MATTERS if Shields were in fact Armor because it would have broken Unarmored Defense.

With your interpretation, there is no reason at all for the line allowing Shields in that ability, they're not Armor anyways.

YMMV, but imho shields are mentioned only because barbarians are proficient with them. I see it only as a pre-emptive statement. It does not mean shields were armor just because you can add them to a feature or not.

Finieous
2016-10-06, 01:44 PM
Wizard 20 (divination or necromancy) and Cleric 10 (knowledge or death). He has 30th level spell slots, 9th-level wizard spells, and 5th-level cleric spells. He has a name and background, but only the gods know what they are. He's probably trying to take over the world. :smallbiggrin:

JAL_1138
2016-10-06, 01:48 PM
Wizard 20 (divination or necromancy) and Cleric 10 (knowledge or death). He has 30th level spell slots, 9th-level wizard spells, and 5th-level cleric spells. He has a name and background, but only the gods know what they are. He's probably trying to take over the world. :smallbiggrin:

I was assuming you'd use the Multiclass Spell Slot table and thus would never get slots above 20th level MC even with two spellcasting classes. I may have been mistaken though.

Finieous
2016-10-06, 01:58 PM
I was assuming you'd use the Multiclass Spell Slot table and thus would never get slots above 20th level MC even with two spellcasting classes. I may have been mistaken though.

I dunno. So you'd never gain slots above 20th level caster? I guess I'd still do it for access to the cleric spells and such. The other classes don't add a lot to Wizard 20.

deathadder99
2016-10-06, 04:16 PM
Oathbreaker Paladin 12, Undying Light Blade Pact Warlock 12, Gold Dragon Sorceror 6 would be preeeetty nasty.

You get 7 ASIs. Start Variant Human 16 8 14 8 10 16. Feat : Polearm Master.

You could go many ways with this build. You almost certainly want 20 Cha and 20 Str, unless you get gauntlets of giant strength or something. This leaves 3 feats to play with. Great Weapon Master is almost a given. War Caster + Spell Sniper is a good option, for devastating Greenflame Blade AoOs. Alternately, resilient Con and/or resilient Dex would make your already insane saves more insane. Sentinel is also a great choice to give you more attacks of opportunity.

This is the gish build I can never quite build. It has quickened spell, tons of burst and +Cha to almost everything. With Polearm Master, the damage is nasty. You get 25 + 1d8 damage on every hit from 20 Str, Aura of Hate, Lifedrinker, GWM and Improved Divine Smite. You get three attacks per round, for a guaranteed minimum of 75 + 3d8 damage if it all hits.

If you're concentrating on Divine Favor, you get an extra 5 + 1d4 damage to each of those hits, or when you're being stingy with spell slots, you get 1d6 from hex.

You also get access to Darkness/Devil's sight cheese, and a decent ranged option in the form of Eldritch Blast.

You have lots of options for your bonus action, and you can quicken Greenflame Blade which gets +10 damage thanks to warlock and Sorc levels. Quickened Hold Person is incredible too. You have lots of spell slots for smiting and get some back on a short rest.

You could also replace 3 Sorc levels for 3 levels of Battlemaster or 3 more of Paladin for resistance to piercing/slashing/bludgeoning. You do lose a feat this way though.

JAL_1138
2016-10-06, 04:38 PM
I dunno. So you'd never gain slots above 20th level caster? I guess I'd still do it for access to the cleric spells and such. The other classes don't add a lot to Wizard 20.

Splashing Fighter 2 or Eldritch Knight 3 in there might be worthwhile for Action Surge. Or Warlock 2 for cantrip damage.

MrStabby
2016-10-06, 04:44 PM
Please note that this would not work. By RAW, the Expert Divination feature has the line: "When you cast a divination spell of 2nd level or higher using a spell slot, you regain one expanded spell slot". This means that using this with either the Warlock Invocation or the Spell Mastery feature won't work.

Well I feel silly now.

I just remembered ruling this out once before as I couldn't have enough levels. It turns out there was another reason as well. Just one more reason why I shouldn't post without the book to hand.

Finieous
2016-10-06, 07:19 PM
Splashing Fighter 2 or Eldritch Knight 3 in there might be worthwhile for Action Surge. Or Warlock 2 for cantrip damage.

I mean, I can have my own dragon army. Why do I care about action surge or cantrip damage?

Asmotherion
2016-10-06, 07:41 PM
I mean, I can have my own dragon army. Why do I care about action surge or cantrip damage?

Because your 2 final levels of Wizard give you next to nothing, compared to 2 Warlock Levels that give you a reliable, constant at-will damage option, averaging 56 damage per turn, and that your Simulacrum(s) can use as well. And this can be taken any time (I usually do that from the first couple levels).

Well I feel silly now.

I just remembered ruling this out once before as I couldn't have enough levels. It turns out there was another reason as well. Just one more reason why I shouldn't post without the book to hand.

Don't feel bad about it, it was a good thought.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-10-06, 07:48 PM
Something combining Wizard and Mystic could work nicely. Perhaps Wizard 19/Rogue 2/Mystic 9?

Wizard 17/Arcane Trickster 13 also has its possibilities, nice little magical ambusher.

Here's a thought for some silly nova: Bladesinger 17+/Assassin 3+/Paladin 2+ or Mystic. Shapechange into a Marilith, get as many magic longswords as you can, as high an Intelligence as you can, and the biggest Belt of Giant Strength you can. Six sneak attack criticals with int to damage and as many smites as you can manage (if you can sneak up on someone as a giant snake-woman of doom, but given that your stealth bonus should be in the twenties...)

It's also worth baring in mind that characters with True Polymorph/Shapechange can access the form of any printed creature, including by RAW Tiamat or the Demon Lords. Now, many of these forms are a little less useful that they might seem at first glance, due to not getting their Legendary/Lair actions (for example, you can't use Tiamat's breath weapons at all), but there are still going to be a few tricks their - the first that occurs to me is exploiting Orcus's Master of Undeath ability. The possibility of acquiring the Wand of Orcus and start a Lich factory also presents itself, since we're working at a level where mugging a demon lord is a fairly practical ambition.

Finieous
2016-10-06, 08:09 PM
Because your 2 final levels of Wizard give you next to nothing, compared to 2 Warlock Levels that give you a reliable, constant at-will damage option, averaging 56 damage per turn, and that your Simulacrum(s) can use as well. And this can be taken any time (I usually do that from the first couple levels).

Seems like my dragon army would do reliable, constant at-will damage in excess of 56 points per turn. Plus I can just stay in my demiplane or the fairy castle I made from a dog turd while they do it. All that, and I don't have to make a pact with some uppity demigod. Maybe warlocks can make pacts with me. :P

Seriously, any constraints on a 20th-level wizard are going to be setting-imposed. Adding class levels for "cantrip damage" strikes me as a little silly. Cleric would be useful for divination, commune, and divine intervention, and at least you're dealing with a real god.

smcmike
2016-10-06, 09:13 PM
My silly crit-fisher: Half Orc Barbarian 2/Thief 17/Champion 11, dual wielding rapiers.

The first round of combat, rage and attack 13 times.

Kane0
2016-10-06, 09:51 PM
I'm loving it so far guys! If this keeps up we might be able to start up competitions or a hall of fame!

Vorpalchicken
2016-10-06, 10:25 PM
Wood Elf
Eldritch Knight 20, Deep Stalker 3, Lore Bard 7
Sharpshooter
Elemental Weapon, cast at level 7
A monstrous nova.

Kane0
2016-10-07, 01:05 AM
Some food for thought for categories:

- Most impressive Nova(s)
- Highest DPR
- Mightiest Spellcasting
- Best Skill mastery
- Most difficult to kill
- Most ridiculous speed

Mongobear
2016-10-07, 01:26 AM
Some food for thought for categories:

- Most impressive Nova(s)
- Highest DPR
- Mightiest Spellcasting
- Best Skill mastery
- Most difficult to kill
- Most ridiculous speed

My entry likely is in the running for 'Most Difficult to Kill'

Resistance to all damage types in the game, 475 HP, 23 AC.

Plus, he can literally make a very low initially Con save to Not actually die when he otherwise would. Counting the Half-Orc equivalent, I think he can flat out "die" 4 times before actually needing to look at the d20 to make sure he passed the DC of the save.

Spiritchaser
2016-10-07, 07:01 AM
I really really wanted to do bladesinger 18 dex pally (ancients) 12, but the stat distribution is too grim. Maybe with a hedband of intellect, or dump con and an amulet of health?

Instead:

The good; wizard(tempest theurge) 18, Warlock(undying light) 2 sorcerer (draconic, or tempest, Moar lightningz) 10.
Full wizard and cleric spell lists, metamagic, foresight and if you feel like plinking away with eldritch blast fou can)

The bad; paladin(oathbreaker) 12, sorcerer (shadow) 18. Resistance to all but force damage, solid saves, an "I arise and live again" button, good casting, wicked heals and even more wicked swipes with a greatsword.

You could go ancients shadow and resist force damage too (except non magical force damage) but I'm not sure how the light/darkness would play out.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-10-07, 07:34 AM
My entry likely is in the running for 'Most Difficult to Kill'

Resistance to all damage types in the game, 475 HP, 23 AC.

Plus, he can literally make a very low initially Con save to Not actually die when he otherwise would. Counting the Half-Orc equivalent, I think he can flat out "die" 4 times before actually needing to look at the d20 to make sure he passed the DC of the save.

Just Plane Shift him to an inherently hostile plane (e.g. Negative or Water, or an empty demiplane where he will eventually starve to death). Or Magic Jar him. Or Forcecage him and ping him to death. Or... you get the picture.

At this level, caster/mundane disparity is pretty huge, and anything that can't fight magic is playing on far lower level than those who can.

Spiritchaser
2016-10-07, 09:20 AM
This isn't something I'd do for the relatively new players I have, and as a fairly new DM, I probably shouldn't do this either but I'd love to start a campaign at level 20 with another 10 to go...

Diebo
2016-10-07, 10:53 AM
I'd be inclined to try out a 20 Moon Druid/3 Bearbarian/ 7 Swashbuckler. Race not critical, as any deficiencies would be made up by level 20, but I'd probably play a forest gnome for fun and gnome cunning. Half-orc relentless endurance would be nice, but meh. I picture an unassuming wizened old gnome in a plain robe with a simple wooden staff.

Druid for spells and unlimited shape, Bearbarian for rage, unarmored defense, and resistance, Swashbuckler for expertise in stealth and athletics, cunning action, uncanny dodge, fancy footwork, and evasion.

Picture a raging, burrowing, hiding w/expertise, fancy footwork earth elemental that can grapple if it wants to.

Mongobear
2016-10-07, 12:00 PM
Just Plane Shift him to an inherently hostile plane (e.g. Negative or Water, or an empty demiplane where he will eventually starve to death). Or Magic Jar him. Or Forcecage him and ping him to death. Or... you get the picture.

At this level, caster/mundane disparity is pretty huge, and anything that can't fight magic is playing on far lower level than those who can.

That doesn't directly kill him though. I figured "Hardest to Kill" implied "takes the most amount of combat rounds to make hp reach zero" your method may in fact end up with a dead Barbarian somewhere in the multiverse, but if you are relying on starvation to be what ends his life, you will be waiting some number of days/weeks until that happens, and who is to say he isn't friends with some other nigh-omnipotent Wizard who can just come in and save him from this predicament?

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-10-07, 01:09 PM
That doesn't directly kill him though. I figured "Hardest to Kill" implied "takes the most amount of combat rounds to make hp reach zero" your method may in fact end up with a dead Barbarian somewhere in the multiverse, but if you are relying on starvation to be what ends his life, you will be waiting some number of days/weeks until that happens, and who is to say he isn't friends with some other nigh-omnipotent Wizard who can just come in and save him from this predicament?

Put him in the elemental plane of water, he's down within 10 minutes. If the Elemental Plane of Fire or Negative Plane can even do 1 damage to him in a round, it's less. And there's nothing stopping me from sending him to a demiplane full of acid, or lava, or an arbitrarily high number of Glyphs of Warding. If I know his name, I could also set up a bunch of Glyphs loaded with single target spells on another plane, then Gate him in and watch the fireworks. Or send in my Simulacrum army. Or call up a Contingent Leomund's Tiny Hut and shoot him to death from inside my impenetrable force field.

And if some other nigh-omnipotent Wizard comes in and interferes? Then the real threat is the fellow Wizard, not some glorified mook either of us could neutralise with a single wave of our hand.

Mongobear
2016-10-07, 01:27 PM
Put him in the elemental plane of water, he's down within 10 minutes. If the Elemental Plane of Fire or Negative Plane can even do 1 damage to him in a round, it's less. And there's nothing stopping me from sending him to a demiplane full of acid, or lava, or an arbitrarily high number of Glyphs of Warding. If I know his name, I could also set up a bunch of Glyphs loaded with single target spells on another plane, then Gate him in and watch the fireworks. Or send in my Simulacrum army. Or call up a Contingent Leomund's Tiny Hut and shoot him to death from inside my impenetrable force field.

And if some other nigh-omnipotent Wizard comes in and interferes? Then the real threat is the fellow Wizard, not some glorified mook either of us could neutralise with a single wave of our hand.

Yes, if given enough prep time, and the ability to know EXACTLY who and what you are going to need to deal with, you have enough tricks to BS your way into making the Barbarian die.

But that wasnt the parameters of the discussion now was it?

It was quite literally "who is the hardest to kill." How do you "kill" something in D&D? You make their HP reach zero. How do you make somethings' hp reach zero? with damage/instant-kill effects like Finger of Death. Guess who is REALLY GOOD at making those methods ineffective? The Barbarian build I posted, which is all I said "pretty sure my barbarian is in the running for most difficult to kill"

I wasn't trying to start an intergalactic pissing contest about hypothetical Wizards with an infinite amount of prep time being able to blink into existence, unload a million Simulacrum spells onto a character and leave. By that measure, the entire idea of being hard to kill is moot, you can kill literally anything with that trick in the exact same amount of time.

The concept of "hardest to kill" for this type of comparison has almost always been "if your character is attacked by a foe with a +X to hit bonus every round and each hit does an average of 50 damage how many rounds can they survive before reaching 0?" Something that is mathematically possible to model and compare between every build, not an arbitrary "i make 8000 clones of myself, then blink the target to the elemental demi-plane of blackjack and hookers, where he eventually melts into a puddle of goop from all the STDs."

Arkhios
2016-10-07, 04:26 PM
Another idea came up my mind. This one stems from a short origin story of one of my oldest characters (in fact, i wrote the story of the said character before I got introduced to D&D or any other TTRPG's, IIRC).

With the new options available, it just occured to me that he would've been perfect as a Storm Sorcerer 10/Wizard 20 (Probably Evoker or Tempest Theurgist).

Known as Stormbearer, the character was born as a nomad with incredible innate magical powers that were previously unheard of in his lineage. No one knew where these powers came from, but he seemed to have some control over storms and people said that storms followed at his wake. He was blind from childbirth, but the powers he were born with granted him something called the "Weavesight", an exotic ability only rumored of. He literally saw the energies' ebb and flow around all things and could essentially see everything like the next person, but in his own way. To him it was normal throughout his life. (Effectively he would have had Arcane Eye and Detect Magic constantly active, and maybe something else too, though that goes beyond the scope of this experiment to the homebrew/boons/blessings territory. For the thread's sake, let's just say he sees normally).

Background (Nordic Tribe Member)
Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 8, Cha 20; Variant Human (+1 Int, +1 Cha, Lightly Armored +1 Str; he was born as a nomad first and foremost, so this one is for fluff reasons more than anything else)

AC 16 (half-plate)
HP 182 (30d6+60)
Attacks (if ends up in melee):
Booming Blade with Staff of Thunder and Lightning (+2 Quarterstaff); +13 to hit, 1d8+4 bludgeoning damage + 3d8 thunder damage. (he probably has all of the cantrips that deal damage, so why not use them).
Quickened Shocking Grasp; +14 to hit, 4d8 lightning damage and the target can't take reactions -> flee from melee.

ASI/Feats:
4. Cha 16
8. Int 17, Cha 17
12. Int 18, Cha 18
16. Int 19, Cha 19
19. Int 20, Cha 20
24. Moderately Armored +1 Str (again, for fluff reasons as above)
28. Str 14

MrStabby
2016-10-07, 05:09 PM
Once again away from my book so time for a second foolish thought... but this also seems to open up some abusive things with the sorcerer.

The sorcerer's twin spell ability is reasonably well balanced as the sorcerer doesn't get that many high level spells it can twin. The need for sorcerer levels equal to the level of the spell and a class with it on its list. With sorc 9, wizard 17 + other, you can twin any wizard spell. This then opens up spells like foresight for twinning that otherwise couldn't be twinned.

To be honest, this might work better with warlock so you can get warlock 20, Sorc 10 and then have additive spell slots from each class.

RaynorReynolds
2016-10-07, 08:53 PM
So there is a similar build above, but this is an extension of one of my past characters that I loved.

Cleric (Tempest) 6 / Sorcerer (Storm) 18 / Fighter (EK) 6

Starting Stats:
Str - 8
Dex - 13
Con - 12
Wis - 16
Int - 8
Chr - 16

Level 30 Stats:
Str - 29
Dex - 14
Con - 12
Wis - 20
Int - 8
Chr - 20

Feats:
1. Resilient (dex)
2. Elemental Adept (lightning)

Cleric 6:
- Channel Divinity: 2x short rest. Imagine lightning bolt cast at level 9, action surge, cast another at level 8, max out both with channel divinity. That is 162 damage in one turn, PER character hit. Or you can do over 1,000 with chain lightning. :cool:
- Wrath of the Storm (will probably be pretty useless at level 30 :biggrin:)
- Dealing Lightning/thunder damage will push Large or smaller creatures away from you (think Booming Blade)
- Prepared spells will probably look something like this:
Cantrips: Guidance, Light, Thaumaturgy, Sacred Flame
Level 1: Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Inflict Wounds, Detect Magic, Fog Cloud, Thunderwave
Level 2: Hold Person, Spiritual Weapon, Silence, Gust of Wind, Shatter
Level 3: Spirit Guardians, Remove Curse, Call Lightning, Sleet Storm

Sorcerer 18:
- Metamagic: Heightened, Subtle, Twinned (Guiding Bolt, Chromatic Orb, Inflict Wounds, etc.), Quickened (Booming Blade)
- Speak Primordial (pretty cool)
- Bonus action to fly 10 feet (including up) after casting a spell, does not provoke opportunity attacks
- Creatures within 10 feet take 9 damage (lightning/thunder) whenever you cast a spell dealing lightning or thunder damage
- Control weather in 20-foot radius sphere (great for intimidation or persuasion), wind in 100-foot radius sphere
- When hit by melee attack (probably won't open), deal 18 damage to the attacker and push it 20 feet away
- Wind Soul: At will flying for your entire party
- Spells known/prepared (15):
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Lightning Lure, Friends, Minor Illusion, Shocking Grasp, Prestidigitation
Level 1: Chromatic Orb
Level 2: Hold Person, Suggestion
Level 3: Counterspell, Lightning Bolt
Level 4: Banishment
Level 5: Hold Monster, Dominate Person
Level 6: Circle of Death, Chain Lightning
Level 7: Fire Storm (re-flavor to lightning damage?), Finger of Death
Level 8: Sunburst, Earthquake
Level 9: Meteor Swarm (see if your DM will let you re-flavor this to lightning with the caveat of not being able to use channel divinity on it)

Fighter 6:
- Action Surge
- Defensive Fighting Style
- Extra Attack
- Weapon Bond
- Spells (5):
Cantrips: Any 2 you don't already know....
Level 1: Shield (you would be using most of your level 1 slots for this), plus four more of your choice.

This is build is very good without magic items, but let's say we kill some dragons, liches, demigods, etc.:

Equipment:
1. Staff of Thunder and Lightning (too much good stuff here not to take it)
2. Belt of Storm Giant Strength (because why not? :tongue:)
3. Robe of Archmagi
+3 Plate Armor
+3 Shield

So best care scenario:
27 AC (32 most of the time with Shield spell)
19 Save DC for Cleric (+11 spell attack modifier)
21 Save DC for Sorcerer (+13 spell attack modifier)
+17 to hit with Staff of Thunder and Lightning

Foxydono
2016-10-12, 11:38 AM
Because it is an epic character, I gave him: 1 boon, 1 legendary item, 2 very rare items, 3 rare items and 4 uncommon items.

Human Variant (Urchin): Zeno Black Fox

Str 8 = 8 (-1)
Con 14 (+1 racial) (+1 P) = 16 (+3)
Dex 15 (+1 racial) (+4 A) (+4 tome) (prof) = 24 (+7)
Wis 13 (+1 P) = 14 (+2)
Int 10 (prof) = 10 (0)
Cha 12 (+1 P) = 13 (+1)
Saving Throws: Str +4, Con +12, Dex +16, Wis +11, Int +9, Cha +10.
*Strength gets +5 from remarkable athlete

Personality Trait: I laugh in the face of danger.
Ideal: I like picking fights with those who think there too powerful to be hurt. You think you’re a god or something? Well, not for long!
Bond: I became rich by robbing from Tiamat and I am wanted for it.
Flaw: I will never fully trust anyone other than myself

Size: 5’5 feet tall
Weight: 140 lbs
Hair: black
Eyes: dark brown (almost black)

AC = 10 + 7 Dex + 3 Armor + 2 bracers +1 Ring +1 Fighting Style = 24 AC
Initiative: +7 Dex + 5 Alert = +12 with advantage
HP: 326
Speed: 30
Passive perception: 30

Weapon: Long Bow 1d8 piercing (two-handed, range without penalty 600 feet)
Fighting styles: Defense, Dueling (fighter) and Archery (ranger)
To hit: +9 prof, +2 archery, +1 arrow, +7 dex, +1 close quarters = +20 (+15 with Sharpshooter)
Damage: +7 dex, +2 bracers, +1 arrows = +10 (+20 with sharpshooter)
Sneak attack damage: 4d6
# attacks with action surge first turn (you can use action surge twice per short rest): 10
# attacks without action surge first turn: 5
# attacks with action surge when not first (you can use action surge twice per short rest): 8
# attacks without action surge when not first: 4
• When opponent is surprised all hits are critical hits
• You get +10 feet movement on your first turn
• Advantage on all attack rolls if opponent hasn’t acted yet
• Critical hits: all rolls of 18+

Magic items and boon: given by Bhaal (god of murder)
Boon: True Sight 60 feet
Legendary: Cloak of Invisibility
Very Rare: Manual of Quickness of Action x2
Rare: Bracers of Defense (+2 AC), Ring of Protection (+1), Studded Leather (+1)
Uncommon: Winged Boots, Ring of Mind Shielding, Arrows (+1), Bracers of Archery (+2 dmg)
Fighting styles: Defense (+1 C), Archery (+2 hit) and Close Quarters Shooter (+1 hit)

Feats (total 9): Resilient Wis, Sharpshooter, +2 dex, +2 dex, Resilient Con, Resilient Cha, Lucky, Alert, Tough

Spells: Absorb Elements, Hunters’ Mark, Longstrider

Languages: Common, Thieves’ Cant, Draconic

Proficiencies: Disguise kit and Thieves’ Tools
- Acrobatics (dex): +25 (expertise)
- Animal Handling (cha): +1
- Arcane (int): 0
- Athletics (str): -1
- Deception (cha): +19 (expertise)
- History (int): 0
- Insight (wis): +2
- Intimidation (cha): +1
- Investigation (int): 0
- Medicine (wis): +2
- Nature (int): 0
- Perception (wis): +20 (expertise)
- Performance (cha): +1
- Persuasion (cha): +10
- Religion (int): 0
- Sleight of Hand (dex): +16
- Stealth (dex): +25 (expertise)
- Survival (wis): +2

Other abilities:
- Move stealthy at a normal pace when traveling alone
- Can’t get lost except my magical means
- Can’t be surprised
- Favored enemy: humanoids
- Darkvision 30 feet
- True Sight 60 feet
- Creatures with darkvision gain no advantage when attacking you
- Uncanny dodge: use reaction to only get half damage from an opponent you can see
- Evasion: when you make a dex saving throw for half damage, you now make it to get no damage
- Second wind: heal yourself for 1d10+3 hit points, once per short rest.
- Indomitable: reroll saving throw, three times per long rest
- Regeneration: +8 HP every turn if below half health

RaynorReynolds
2016-10-12, 03:08 PM
Because it is an epic character, I gave him: 1 boon, 1 legendary item, 2 very rare items, 3 rare items and 4 uncommon items.

Human Variant (Urchin): Zeno Black Fox

Str 8 = 8 (-1)
Con 14 (+1 racial) (+1 P) = 16 (+3)
Dex 15 (+1 racial) (+4 A) (+4 tome) (prof) = 24 (+7)
Wis 13 (+1 P) = 14 (+2)
Int 10 (prof) = 10 (0)
Cha 12 (+1 P) = 13 (+1)
Saving Throws: Str +4, Con +12, Dex +16, Wis +11, Int +9, Cha +10.
*Strength gets +5 from remarkable athlete

Personality Trait: I laugh in the face of danger.
Ideal: I like picking fights with those who think there too powerful to be hurt. You think you’re a god or something? Well, not for long!
Bond: I became rich by robbing from Tiamat and I am wanted for it.
Flaw: I will never fully trust anyone other than myself

Size: 5’5 feet tall
Weight: 140 lbs
Hair: black
Eyes: dark brown (almost black)

AC = 10 + 7 Dex + 3 Armor + 2 bracers +1 Ring +1 Fighting Style = 24 AC
Initiative: +7 Dex + 5 Alert = +12 with advantage
HP: 326
Speed: 30
Passive perception: 30

Weapon: Long Bow 1d8 piercing (two-handed, range without penalty 600 feet)
Fighting styles: Defense, Dueling (fighter) and Archery (ranger)
To hit: +9 prof, +2 archery, +1 arrow, +7 dex, +1 close quarters = +20 (+15 with Sharpshooter)
Damage: +7 dex, +2 bracers, +1 arrows = +10 (+20 with sharpshooter)
Sneak attack damage: 4d6
# attacks with action surge first turn (you can use action surge twice per short rest): 10
# attacks without action surge first turn: 5
# attacks with action surge when not first (you can use action surge twice per short rest): 8
# attacks without action surge when not first: 4
• When opponent is surprised all hits are critical hits
• You get +10 feet movement on your first turn
• Advantage on all attack rolls if opponent hasn’t acted yet
• Critical hits: all rolls of 18+

Magic items and boon: given by Bhaal (god of murder)
Boon: True Sight 60 feet
Legendary: Cloak of Invisibility
Very Rare: Manual of Quickness of Action x2
Rare: Bracers of Defense (+2 AC), Ring of Protection (+1), Studded Leather (+1)
Uncommon: Winged Boots, Ring of Mind Shielding, Arrows (+1), Bracers of Archery (+2 dmg)
Fighting styles: Defense (+1 C), Archery (+2 hit) and Close Quarters Shooter (+1 hit)

Feats (total 9): Resilient Wis, Sharpshooter, +2 dex, +2 dex, Resilient Con, Resilient Wis, Lucky, Alert, Tough

Spells: Absorb Elements, Hunters’ Mark, Longstrider

Languages: Common, Thieves’ Cant, Draconic

Proficiencies: Disguise kit and Thieves’ Tools
- Acrobatics (dex): +25 (expertise)
- Animal Handling (cha): +1
- Arcane (int): 0
- Athletics (str): -1
- Deception (cha): +19 (expertise)
- History (int): 0
- Insight (wis): +2
- Intimidation (cha): +1
- Investigation (int): 0
- Medicine (wis): +2
- Nature (int): 0
- Perception (wis): +20 (expertise)
- Performance (cha): +1
- Persuasion (cha): +10
- Religion (int): 0
- Sleight of Hand (dex): +16
- Stealth (dex): +25 (expertise)
- Survival (wis): +2

Other abilities:
- Move stealthy at a normal pace when traveling alone
- Can’t get lost except my magical means
- Can’t be surprised
- Favored enemy: humanoids
- Darkvision 30 feet
- True Sight 60 feet
- Creatures with darkvision gain no advantage when attacking you
- Uncanny dodge: use reaction to only get half damage from an opponent you can see
- Evasion: when you make a dex saving throw for half damage, you now make it to get no damage
- Second wind: heal yourself for 1d10+3 hit points, once per short rest.
- Indomitable: reroll saving throw, three times per long rest
- Regeneration: +8 HP every turn if below half health

What classes?

Arkhios
2016-10-12, 03:17 PM
What classes?

Little bit of detective work and I'd assume Fighter/Ranger/Rogue

Foxydono
2016-10-12, 03:52 PM
Little bit of detective work and I'd assume Fighter/Ranger/Rogue
Correct! Level 20 champion fighter, level 7 rogue assassin and level 3 revised ranger deep stalker.

Zorku
2016-10-12, 05:48 PM
I'd be inclined to try out a 20 Moon Druid/3 Bearbarian/ 7 Swashbuckler. Race not critical, as any deficiencies would be made up by level 20, but I'd probably play a forest gnome for fun and gnome cunning. Half-orc relentless endurance would be nice, but meh. I picture an unassuming wizened old gnome in a plain robe with a simple wooden staff.

Druid for spells and unlimited shape, Bearbarian for rage, unarmored defense, and resistance, Swashbuckler for expertise in stealth and athletics, cunning action, uncanny dodge, fancy footwork, and evasion.

Picture a raging, burrowing, hiding w/expertise, fancy footwork earth elemental that can grapple if it wants to.I forget the exact limit of moon druids- is a (half dragon-)mammoth still the beefiest shape you get to use or would a T-Rex be available now?

Jjj111
2016-10-12, 09:01 PM
For most nova damage, I'm pretty sure assassin 3, champion 20, paladin 7 with a greatsword, hunters mark, great weapon master, maneuvers, smiting, and assassin auto critwould be a lot:
8 attacks (4 per action and action surge) for a total of something like 48d6 + 20d8 + 120 and on like half the d6 rolls you get to reroll 1s and 2s.

Or maybe champion 11, assassin 17, warlock 2 (for at-will disguise self and darkness/devils sight to make us a flavorful assassin too):
6 attacks which use great sword, hex, great weapon master, maneuvers, assassin auto crit, AND assassin. death strike double damage. Should be something like:
34d6 (3d6 per attack for great sword and hex. Then doubled for assassin) + 18d6 (drop greatsword and use a dagger for one attack to add sneak attack damage) + 10d8 (5d8 superiority dice doubled) + 60 (GWM) + 30 (strength mod) where you are rerolling 1/2 of those d6s for great weapon fight style AND you get to double all that damage if they fail a con save of 8+dex+proficiency (which is crazy high at lvl 30). I think I might do the math tomorrow.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-10-13, 07:54 AM
I forget the exact limit of moon druids- is a (half dragon-)mammoth still the beefiest shape you get to use or would a T-Rex be available now?

Limit is Druid level/3, so your forms aren't getting any better. No T-Rex for you.

Jjj111
2016-10-13, 09:47 AM
So, I did the math. It's 1166 maximum damage. Here's the build that takes a shot at the most nova damage:

Important items (no Legendaries):

+3 great sword
+3 rapier
fire giant belt of strength (25 str)
helm of brilliance (1d6 fire damage per strike after activating)

Important stats:

25 strength
20 dex

Feats:

Great weapon master for that sweet +10 damage
Alert for +5 on initiative
Lucky to make sure we do hit on all 6 attacks

We are assuming a surprise nova round. We autocrit on hit due to assassin feature. We have advantage on all attacks due to the new ranger and being level 30 with a +3 sword, +7 strength score, and +9 proficiency bonus, I think it's unlikely we will miss very often. So, for the math at the end, I assume all 6 attacks hit to make it easier. We have advantage on initiative.

3 attacks per attack action + action surge gives 6 attacks. We need 1 finesse weapon attack for sneak attack so we will do 5 with great sword and 1 with a rapier. Assume a free action to drop the great sword and pull out a rapier.

great sword attacks: 2d6 (great sword, rerolling 1s and 2s) + 1d6 (hunters mark) + 1d6 (helm of brilliance) + 1d10 (battle master maneuver) + 10 (3 sword + 7 str) + 10 (great weapon master)
up that for surprise: 4d6 (which get rerolled) + 4d6 + 2d10 + 20
up that to 5 times for the attacks: 20d6 (rerolled) + 20d6 + 10d10 + 100
and 1 rapier attack: 1d8 (rapier) + 1d6 (hunters mark) + 9d6 (sneak attack) + 7 (4 dex + 3 rapier)
turn the rapier attack into surprise: 2d8 + 20d6 + 7
total: 20d6 (rerolling 1 and 2) + 40d6 + 10d10 + 2d8 + 107

All the above gets doubled if they fail a DC 22 con save for the death strike assassin feature.

The macro i have set up for anydice to reroll 1s and 2s takes too long to run for this many dice so my numbers below exclude rerolling. Also, to reiterate, I just assumed all 6 strikes hit.
Average damage: 762 (381 if they pass their save)
Maximum damage: 1166 (583)
Minimum damage: 358 (179)

Since you beat them on initiative and they don't get to do anything on their first turn, you also technically get to attack them again. Haha. I'll leave that math to someone else.

Feel free to let me know if I made any mistakes. Or if you have ideas on how to do more damage. I think an upcasted Scorching Ray build actually does more nova damage, but whatever! Also, if you didn't want to rely on the Assassin's level 17 death strike ability, a level 20 fighter get's another attack. This would allow for Assassin 3, Fighter 20, Paladin 7 which might be more damage with the smites, bigger superiority dice, etc. Maybe I'll do those numbers later.

edit: I just realized I left off the half-orc crit. This makes the great axe a better weapon. I redid the math.
Short summary:
20d12 + 40d6 + 10d10 + 2d8 + 107
Average damage: 882 (441 if they pass their save)
Maximum damage: 1406 (703)
Minimum damage: 358 (179)

Axorfett12
2016-10-13, 11:29 AM
Ok I'll add this. Basically the Horseman of Death.

Lawful Neutral Half-Elf Acolyte
Cleric 10 (Death Domain) / Monk 14 (Long Death) / Paladin 6 (Vengeance)

Notable Items:
Bracers of Defense
Nine Lives Stealer
Ring of Regeneration

Ability Scores:
(Boosted once each with a Tome or Manual)
6 ASIs: DEX+2, WIS+2 (x2), CHA+2, CHA+1-CON+1, Durable Feat

STR: 13
DEX: 20
CON: 14
INT: 10
WIS: 20
CHA: 20

HP: 203
AC: 22 (Unarmored Defense + Bracers of Defense)
Proficiency Bonus +9

Skills:
Stealth
History
Religion
Insight
Perception
Persuasion

Feats:
Durable

Cleric (Death):
Divine Intervention
Reaper
Touch of Death 2/rest - 29 extra damage
Inescapable Destruction
Divine Strike

Monk (Long Death)
14 Ki Points
Unarmored Movement (+25)
Deflect Missiles (1d10+19)
Slow Fall (70)
Extra Attack
Evasion
Diamond Soul
Touch of Death
Hour or Reaping
Mastery of Death

Paladin (Vengeance)
Lay on Hands (20)
Dueling Fighting Style
Divine Smite
CD: Abjure Enemy/Vow of Enmity

Spellcasting:
Spell Attack +14
Spell DC 22
5 Cantrips Known
17 Spells Known/Available (+8 Domain/Oath Bonus)

Slots & Notable Spells:
4x 1st (Hunter's Mark, Bless, Heroism, Inflict Wounds)
3x 2nd (Misty Step, Find Steed, Silence, Spiritual Weapon)
3x 3rd (Animate Dead, Spirit Guardians, Revivify, Vampiric Touch)
3x 4th (Blight, Death Ward)
2x 5th (Antilife Shell, Cloudkill, Contagion, Flame Strike)
1x 6th (None)

On dark nights, when the moon shines full and even the owls dare not venture forth to hunt, the rabble whisper of The Harbinger. The tales vary, some telling of a monster made of shadows, others proclaiming her death incarnate. Regardless the tale, one grain of truth runs constant. The Harbinger is a dark force that roams the many worlds, preying on those whose time has come. Many of the tales tell of a shadow-clad figure slaying tyrants and assassins, felling ancient dragons and monolithic demons. Still more tales claim her to be the source of the Rotting Death epidemic. Regardless of her origins, or her motives, The Harbinger is a force to be feared. Dread is the day she comes for you.