PDA

View Full Version : Building a pantheon out of our favorite comic characters.

blelliot
2016-10-06, 03:44 AM
So this idea is something that has been slinking in the background of my mind for a few months. I'm still working on a homebrew world for my home games and I think this idea would be fun for the world. Not only building the pantheon out of heroes and villains, but using famous cities from DC comics as bases for city-states in this world. So, I was wondering if anyone would like to participate in this world building? This is for 5E, so any idea you have for a God would be awesome!
I'll start:
My take on Superman, my favorite character of all.

Kal, God of courage and the sun.
Alignment- LG
Domains- Life, Light
Dogma- Kal calls his faithful to be ever vigilant against the dark forces that plague all races, but not to become jaded by them. Treat all life as sacred, killing only if no other option presents itself. This does not mean that All is a pacifist God, just that he thinks of other ways to end a problem before violence is necessary. His symbol is a styleized sun with rays flowing from it.

What ideas can you come up with? Please let me know. Thank you in advance to all those that participate.

FallenGeek
2016-10-06, 04:31 PM
So, I'm doing the same thing for one of my game's cultures.

Here's one.

The Beast
Alignment: NE
Portfolio (not familiar with 5E): Strength, Trickery, Domination

The Beast is one of the dark gods, once ruling the world with an iron fist. Eventually, the light gods removed them from power. The Beast is depicted as a giant ape.

The Beast demands his followers to tear down the edifices of civilization and control the survivors through the practice of might makes right. He abhors fair play and advocates total war, that no trick is taboo.

Tzi
2016-10-06, 06:48 PM
Lady Raven
Alignment - CG
Domains - Magic, Darkness
Dogma- Goddess of Magic and Night, she is a patron Goddess of Tieflings and her followers tend to focus on mastering dark powers for good purpose.

FallenGeek
2016-10-06, 07:06 PM
Fiero, the Runner
Alignment: LG
Domains: Knowledge, Celerity, Storm

Dogma: A sound body is only truly sound with a sound mind. Fiero pushes his followers to master both body and mind. He encourages his followers to teach philosophy and skills to others and to lead communities in exercise.

Fiero is also responsible for storms as he runs across the heavens in his battle against the dark gods and their minions.

Symbol: either lighting surrounding a boot or a book.

Bohandas
2016-10-17, 01:26 AM
The Fool
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Domains (using 3e domains here as I don't know 5e): Chaos, Evil, Fire, Liberation, Madness, Passion, Trickery
Portfolio: Anarchy, dark humor, insanity, murder, nihilism, laughter, fire and explosions, evil clowns, manufactured poisons

Dogma: Everything anybody ever valued or struggled for... it's all a monstrous, demented gag! So why can't you see the funny side? See, their "morals", their "code"... it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these, ah, "civilized people"? They'll eat each other. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair.

Symbol: A playing card or a scarred clown face

the name the Fool is of course the equivalent in a tarot deck to the Joker in a deck of regular cards

Bryan
2016-10-17, 03:01 PM
One thing I will say is that as Green Lantern's main enemy uses fear as a weapon and overcoming fear kind of becomes his thing, I would make him the God of Courage. Kal could be made the God of Justice or, considering it is the meaning of his symbol in Kryptonian, Hope.

Bohandas
2016-10-18, 11:10 PM
Toxicodendra
Alignment: NE? N? LN?
Domains: Charm (SC), Nature (OA), Plant, Pestilence (SC)
Portfolio: Plants, Poison, Nature, Enchantment

Dogma: All who desecrate unspoiled natural lands must be enthralled or destroyed

FallenGeek
2016-10-22, 11:55 AM
Gaetano, the Sentinel
Alignment: LG
Portfolio: Creation, Bravery, Light, and erotic love
Domains: Creation, Artifice, Charm, Sun
Symbol: an Emerald Anvil

Gaetano stands guard, ever vigilant for the dark gods and their minions and creating weapons for the fight. He encourages his followers to stand up to their fears. He count smiths and artists among his followers.

Nightglade
2016-10-29, 02:15 PM
Banjo

~all hail Banjo

Pronounceable
2016-10-30, 09:43 PM
I'm not surprised to see a distinct lack of best character. This shall not stand.

Aurumos the Lazy
Alignment-CN (NG)
Portfolio-Trickery, Chaos, Greed (Law, Time, History)
Symbol-Blue star on golden background

Aurumos is just the arrogant god of greedy scoundrels and empty braggarts for most. None, not even other gods, recognize his real function as the god of time and protector of history. Aurumos knows being inconspicious is the only real protection against evil beings able to alter time itself, which describes every enemy he fights against, and he does a masterful job of maintaining his cover and preemptively retconning all the apocalypses unleashed every five minutes by various dark gods, archdevils, eldritch monstrosities and mad wizards from past and future.

Bryan
2016-10-31, 10:09 AM
I'd like to suggest that Batman wouldn't make for a very good god but would be great as a Arthurian-style legendary king or lord who founded, trained and/or led an order of famed knight's that still exist to this day.

Bryan
2016-10-31, 10:30 AM
Amawella, the Iron Judge (aka the Iron Bitch)
Alignment: LE
Portfolio: Death, Tyranny
Symbol: A Black Queen Chess Piece

Amawella is the goddess responsible for judging the dead and sending them off to whatever afterlife they deserve.
She considers the undead to be an affront to her authority, having escaped her judgment and has been known to release damned adventuring parties to hunt down powerful undead in exchange for the possibility of salvation in the hereafter but most do not succeed to her exacting standards.

Bryan
2016-10-31, 07:47 PM
I would say Toxicodendra's alignment would be NE and then maybe balance it out with Beast Boy as NG and/or Swamp Thing as N and sort of have a trio of druidic gods

Corneel
2016-11-01, 05:41 PM
Tintus the Intrepid

Alignment: NG
Portfolio: Curiosity, Loyalty, Uncovering Mysteries and Evil
Domains: Truth, Travel, Good
Symbol: a tuft of hair

Tintus fights evil by exposing it to the light of truth. While courageous, he's no warrior god, but the protector of those that speak out against evil, stay true to their friends, and travel the world in search of mysteries to discover. Wherever he goes, he's accompanied by Milu, the canine patron of undying loyalty. He has an unlikely friendship with Kabeljo, Lord of Booze and Colorful Insults.

Bryan
2016-11-01, 07:10 PM
I am going to feel really dumb but who is Tintus based on?

Corneel
2016-11-02, 07:56 AM
I am going to feel really dumb but who is Tintus based on?

https://smhttp-ssl-41607.nexcesscdn.net/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/16013/16013-w600-1.jpg

Bryan
2016-11-03, 09:59 AM
That is painfully obvious but I was only thinking of DC. I actually considered Jimmy Olsen travelling with Krypto and Bibbo

Corneel
2016-11-03, 12:04 PM
Somehow my mind blocked out the DC only part of the first post.

Bohandas
2016-11-05, 12:07 AM
I'd like to suggest that Batman wouldn't make for a very good god but would be great as a Arthurian-style legendary king or lord who founded, trained and/or led an order of famed knight's that still exist to this day.

That would be a good fit

Also, did anybody else upon reading this immediately get a mental image of a combination of Batman's sidekick Robin with Sir Robin the timid Roundtable knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFefppqEtE)

Bohandas
2016-11-05, 12:09 AM
Lady Raven
Alignment - CG
Domains - Magic, Darkness
Dogma- Goddess of Magic and Night, she is a patron Goddess of Tieflings and her followers tend to focus on mastering dark powers for good purpose.

LG seems like a better fit.