PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Steppe Nomad Raider Game Help

Darth Stabber
2016-10-06, 04:55 AM
I'm going to be DM'ing a pathfinder game in the near future, and the concept is that the players are a steppe nomad raiding party. The players understand that they will be mounted (though one is considering centaur, which is cool in my book), but several are newbs and I haven't run a cavalry centric campaign (nor have I run pathfinder, but I have run entirely too much 3.5). The average encounter is likely to be based on some historical combat style, I have been utterly enrapt in history podcasts lately, especially Eurasian steppe nomads {Mongols, Huns, Turks, Parthians, Scythians, Sarmatians, etc). The opening encounter is likely to be a Great Hunt where the party are a group from a variety of tribes in the same confederation put together to hunt some great beast, but most of the campaign will be encounters against humanoids. So any kind of advice for players or general insights about mounted combat are appreciated. There is a social component that I already feel confident in using, drawing heavily from werewolf: the apocalypse, so it's no solely a tactical campaign, but I do plan on challenging them tactically frequently. Also, on an open plain, what are some interesting challenges for a mounted party? And this is going to be a question loaded with controversy, but how about ancient military units and tactics?