PDA

View Full Version : Character build help

Sir cryosin
2016-10-06, 12:00 PM
So I'm thinking about making a warlock for my next pc just in case my pc now dies which has a high percentage that it wouldn't make it to the end of campaign. So I'm the party's face even if I don't have a char based pc. So I have not played a warlock only a 2 lv dips here and there. I was thinking about maybe a 1 lv life or tempest for same armor and heal spells and there first lv ability. But I'd if I should because I also acts as party's healer. So another thing is I'm going to tomelock and can't think of what cantrips I should grabbed.

BW022
2016-10-06, 04:14 PM
So I'm thinking about making a warlock for my next pc just in case my pc now dies which has a high percentage that it wouldn't make it to the end of campaign. So I'm the party's face even if I don't have a char based pc. So I have not played a warlock only a 2 lv dips here and there. I was thinking about maybe a 1 lv life or tempest for same armor and heal spells and there first lv ability. But I'd if I should because I also acts as party's healer. So another thing is I'm going to tomelock and can't think of what cantrips I should grabbed.

IMO, cleric is only useful for bladelocks. If you are sticking with ranged attacks, you won't be in melee and won't be subject to attacks. If forced into melee, you'll want to get out quickly. As such, I wouldn't say cleric is worth it. Heavy armor also means a painful movement penalty unless you have a high strength. You are now really MAD -- needing high strength (armor), wisdom (to multi-class), and charisma (warlock). This means a low constitution, dexterity, and intelligence. Strength is somewhat wasted over constitution or dexterity -- better saves, move hit points, and/or most skills.

If you want the armor, just take the medium armor feat. That is 15+2 (shield)+2 (dex) = 19. More than enough for a ranged caster. It is also +1 to dexterity -- meaning you can start with a 13.

If you must have healing -- and it isn't that useful on a warlock -- consider bard. You get better starting skills, healing, inspirations (lots and good ones), plus the spell slots. Healing isn't that useful since your spell slots rarely give you the ability to waste slots healing -- baring knowing you have a short rest, in which case everyone can just expect hit dice. Reality is... if folks are injured, chances are you have already used your two or three warlock slots.

CaptainSarathai
2016-10-06, 09:58 PM
Yay Warlock love!
I play a Warlock, and also face for the party.

I'll second snagging some levels of Bard. Really, all the best things about Warlock are mostly done by Lv4, unless you're going Blade, or want Hurl Through Hell or the Thrall ability from Fiend and Old One. So if you run up to Lock 4, going Bard for the rest isn't bad.

As far as Cantrips, I usually count on Shillelagh, although Bards have access to that if you plan to MC. You can also try to grab Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade as a Warlock of any stripe, as it helps with melee. Those two combined will actually keep you almost around what a BladeLock can pull (you get the BB/GFB as a Warlock anyway, you don't need Tome for that)
Another option is the Crossbow Expert feat, mixed with Repelling Blast. This lets you use point-blank Eldritch Blasts to "kick off" any melee threats.

For Facing, there are a lot of spells you can look in to, as well as the Patron option. Fey or Great Old One have some nice Face abilities.
Half Elf + Warlock + Charlatan gets you all of your Face skills.
Bard or Rogue for Expertise could offset not actually having proficiency in the skill, and let you do another Race or use the SCAG HalfElf for another Cantrips.

For your other two cantrips, ask what your party wants to see from you. You could get Shocking Grasp for yourself, to let you get out of melee range. You could also nab Spare the Dying to help stabilize your friends. Most of the Face cantrips are available from Warlock and Bard, actually.

For Book of Secrets, grab Find Familiar. It's just good for everyone.

Another consideration for a dip, is always Sorcerer. Subtle Spell is fun for social situations where casting could get you into trouble, but Quickened spells is borderline OP with Eldritch Blast.