PDA

View Full Version : TV Daredevil Season 1

Hopeless
2016-10-06, 02:31 PM
Just reached episode 3 having picked this up on dvd.
Is it just me but shouldn't he be hospitalised from those injuries he suffered at the very beginning?
Am I getting the episodes mixed up?

Had the choice between this and the second season of star wars rebels, all I can say is wow!!!:smalleek::smallsmile:
Now I'm wondering if I should get this for some friends of mine...

Anybody else like to share their opinion of the first season?

Leewei
2016-10-07, 10:03 AM
Is it just me but shouldn't he be hospitalised from those injuries he suffered at the very beginning?

Had the choice between this and the second season of star wars rebels, all I can say is wow!!!:smalleek::smallsmile:

DD season 1 was very solid. I especially loved the supporting characters and antagonists, especially Foggy and Wilson Fisk. DD / Murdoch himself was fine, but what happened when he wasn't on the screen was at least as good in most cases.

Your spoilered observation is explained later on. I'll explain in my own spoiler in case you don't understand by the end of the season.

Matt Murdoch was trained in some mystical fighting arts. In addition to his "gift" of enhanced senses, Stick taught him to heal himself by meditating.

StarvingGamer
2016-10-07, 11:34 PM
Asking why a superhero isn't in a hospital is a fool's bargain :P

That said, I thought DD S1 was pretty great, although I feel like Matt got the least interesting character development out of the entire cast despite having the most screen-time. Also Jessica Jones and Luke Cage blow DD S1&2 out of the water imo.

Velaryon
2016-10-18, 01:27 PM

Hi, where did you pick up a DVD copy? I had no idea it was coming out on disc at all, but now that I look I can only find Blu-Ray copies for sale.

Dienekes
2016-10-18, 01:53 PM
Asking why a superhero isn't in a hospital is a fool's bargain :P

That said, I thought DD S1 was pretty great, although I feel like Matt got the least interesting character development out of the entire cast despite having the most screen-time. Also Jessica Jones and Luke Cage blow DD S1&2 out of the water imo.

I must respectfully disagree.

Personally, I thought DD season 1 was some of the best on screen superhero-ing Marvel's done. The choreography and cinematography are simply top notch. Jessica Jones has some good cinematography, but the fight choreography are pretty boring for the other two Marvel tv shows.

The villain is developed and handled very well, and is far and away the most interesting villain Marvel has shown. Which isn't really stating too much since the only really well developed and portrayed villains they've got are: Kilgrave, Fisk, and Loki. But still, I found Fisk more interesting and engaging than the other two.

I just really liked this first season. Season 2 was good, but I place it more even with Jessica Jones. Luke Cage was the lowest of the three, still enjoyable but I never really got as excited or as invested in what was going on.

Hopeless
2016-10-18, 04:10 PM
Hi, where did you pick up a DVD copy? I had no idea it was coming out on disc at all, but now that I look I can only find Blu-Ray copies for sale.

Tesco noticed it had come out and decided to find out what everyone has been going on about!

Giggling Ghast
2016-10-18, 10:13 PM
Daredevil Season 1 is the best season of a Netflix Marvel show yet. Jessica Jones was better in terms of story but JJ can't fight worth a damn. Daredevil Season 2 had great fights but its plot struggled going in too many directions. Luke Cage was solid but fell short of great. I can't really offer a criticism of Daredevil Season 1.

Which isn't really stating too much since the only really well developed and portrayed villains they've got are: Kilgrave, Fisk, and Loki. But still, I found Fisk more interesting and engaging than the other two.

You're not including Zemo on the list?

CleverCricket
2016-10-19, 01:41 AM
I tried to watch Daredevil but I never made it past the fourth episode. I don't know I just felt kind of bored watching it. I really like the Marvel stuff, but the Netflix shows have just sort of been falling flat for me. I barely made it all the way through Jessica Jones, and I'm struggling to get through Luke Cage. I keep saying I'm going to go back and retry Daredevil but I haven't been able to get myself to do it yet.

Dienekes
2016-10-19, 07:10 PM
You're not including Zemo on the list?

You know, you're right. I should add him. He had a good motivation, personality, plan. And he was able to at least hold his own as a character and not get swallowed completely in the hero vs hero action.

I'd still place him below the other 3, though. Admittedly, he only had 1 episode to Loki's 3, and the other two's season or more of a show.

I tried to watch Daredevil but I never made it past the fourth episode. I don't know I just felt kind of bored watching it. I really like the Marvel stuff, but the Netflix shows have just sort of been falling flat for me. I barely made it all the way through Jessica Jones, and I'm struggling to get through Luke Cage. I keep saying I'm going to go back and retry Daredevil but I haven't been able to get myself to do it yet.

Man, I'm gonna say this as a guy who thinks DD is amazing. It's just entertainment. If it doesn't entertain you, there's no reason to force yourself to watch hours of a tv show.

Sapphire Guard
2016-10-20, 05:04 PM
Luke Cage and JJ are harder to hurt than DD is, so he has to be a better fighter, I'm not sure that's a fault in the shows.

Zemo didn't stand out that much to me, and his plan isn't that brilliant when you think about it, he got really really lucky that it played out the way it did.

Dienekes
2016-10-20, 07:03 PM
Luke Cage and JJ are harder to hurt than DD is, so he has to be a better fighter, I'm not sure that's a fault in the shows.

Zemo didn't stand out that much to me, and his plan isn't that brilliant when you think about it, he got really really lucky that it played out the way it did.

Being a better fighter influences how well made a fight choreography can be but is not the be all end all. For instance, Bruce Lee is a fantastic fighter and Edward Norton is not. But the fight scene in Hulk 2 is actually pretty good in terms of choreography. The action seems fluid, the camera follows the flow of the violence, even if the cinematography was a little on the dark side covering some of the action (probably a way to hide the sense of unreality due to CGI) the movie portrayed the action quite well in an impactful way. Now Hulk 2 has a lot of other problems but at least their big fight was well done. In a way that is destinctive from the finesse and movement of a Bruce Lee movie.

But JJ and LC's approach to action scenes was boring at best. With just some very basic straight forward punches. And inexcusably LC is supposed to be a damn good boxer, he just never shows it once he has powers. Now the all time worst has to be JJ last episode running up to the final confrontation with Kilgrave, which was shot in a boring at times unintentionally amusing fashion. Now both the big fights in JJ and LC attempt to rely on emotional investment over choreography. And in fairness JJ definitely had emotional investment on her side, but there is no rules that says just because you're trying to rely on emotion that fights need to become boring. Quite the contrary the best fight scenes fuel the emotion into the action itself. Which the best fights in DD do, but JJ and LC often times fail to do.

As for Zemo, he stands out a hell of a lot more than Ronan or what was that evil elf guys name again? Whatever, evil dark elf guy.

He had a believable motive, and the movie made the attempt to show that the character had done his homework to get the plan up and running. Setting up the manhunt for Bucky and creating the distraction to get close to him while taking advantage of the political turmoil is pretty good. A bit lucky, yes. But I don't begrudge him that too much, mostly since I've read some historical journals and realized just how much our entire history has been shaped by pure luck.

The only big hard to excuse bit, for me, was Tony meeting Bucky and Steve in Russia. Which honestly at that point he already won, with half the Avengers in jail or on the run. But it still required Tony to show up at exactly the right moment and react like an idiot child. Which the second part seems pretty easy to predict. That's kind of Tony's shtick. The first part is more hard to excuse.

Giggling Ghast
2016-10-20, 10:52 PM

Jessica Jones is less durable than Captain America and he's got excellent fight scenes.

Hopeless
2016-10-21, 04:23 AM
Cap is supposed to be that much better.
As for Zemo all he really had to do was prick Stark's ego and that's remarkably easy especially if he had set up contingencies we never saw revealed during the movie because Tony found a way to track Cap & Bucky down heck the Black Panther figured it out and he had more reason to before Zemo revealed Bucky's dark secret!

Sapphire Guard
2016-10-22, 12:59 PM
Jessica Jones is less durable than Captain America and he's got excellent fight scenes.

Being a better fighter influences how well made a fight choreography can be but is not the be all end all. For instance, Bruce Lee is a fantastic fighter and Edward Norton is not. But the fight scene in Hulk 2 is actually pretty good in terms of choreography. The action seems fluid, the camera follows the flow of the violence, even if the cinematography was a little on the dark side covering some of the action (probably a way to hide the sense of unreality due to CGI) the movie portrayed the action quite well in an impactful way. Now Hulk 2 has a lot of other problems but at least their big fight was well done. In a way that is destinctive from the finesse and movement of a Bruce Lee movie.

But JJ and LC's approach to action scenes was boring at best. With just some very basic straight forward punches. And inexcusably LC is supposed to be a damn good boxer, he just never shows it once he has powers. Now the all time worst has to be JJ last episode running up to the final confrontation with Kilgrave, which was shot in a boring at times unintentionally amusing fashion. Now both the big fights in JJ and LC attempt to rely on emotional investment over choreography. And in fairness JJ definitely had emotional investment on her side, but there is no rules that says just because you're trying to rely on emotion that fights need to become boring. Quite the contrary the best fight scenes fuel the emotion into the action itself. Which the best fights in DD do, but JJ and LC often times fail to do.

Does Edward Norton have anything to do with Hulk fight scenes? That's just the effects team.

Captain America is a professional soldier usually fighting other professional soldiers, he doesn't need to hold back as he usually has no issues with killing his opponents. JJ has never needed to train as a fighter, because superstrength is decisive in any fight she's likely to get in, and most of her opposition are innocent Kilgraved people or private security people she wants to hurt as little as possible.

Luke Cage was taught to box, but he doesn't need to use it because he would end up punching holes in people, and would prefer not to be a mass murderer.

And then in the final confrontation he realises 'this dude can't actually hurt me' so attacking is a waste of his time when he can just wait for him to get tired.

DD is not any more durable than anyone else, so every attack is dangerous to him, so he has to be more aggressive. It's different tactics for different situations, I don't think it's actually a flaw in the show, just that DD has to take threats more seriously because he is more in danger than they are.

Never saw Thor 2, but Zemo's plan requires a lot of anticipating stuff he couldn't possibly know, like that no one knows what the psychiatrist looks like, the lack of nearby guards (they would be out of earshot, but could still be outside the door), the exact speed Bucky can escape from his cell (any faster, and he doesn't finish the sequence, any slower, and Cap and the gang arrives and contain him, that no one takes in the psychiatrist that they've figured out wanted to talk to him, somehow beating a Quinjet to Siberia (a very long way) without being detected...

And the entire climax is just a huge streak of blind luck, that Tony arrives alone, that Cap and Bucky arrive alone (he couldn't have known that either one of them wouldn't have brought more people, that Tony could find them at all, that none of the Avengers that can get through his rocketproof shield made it that far. If Vision or Wanda is there, that's game over.

Nothing against him as a character, but he did get very, very lucky in how things played out.

Dienekes
2016-10-22, 05:39 PM
Does Edward Norton have anything to do with Hulk fight scenes? That's just the effects team.

Captain America is a professional soldier usually fighting other professional soldiers, he doesn't need to hold back as he usually has no issues with killing his opponents. JJ has never needed to train as a fighter, because superstrength is decisive in any fight she's likely to get in, and most of her opposition are innocent Kilgraved people or private security people she wants to hurt as little as possible.

Luke Cage was taught to box, but he doesn't need to use it because he would end up punching holes in people, and would prefer not to be a mass murderer.

And then in the final confrontation he realises 'this dude can't actually hurt me' so attacking is a waste of his time when he can just wait for him to get tired.

DD is not any more durable than anyone else, so every attack is dangerous to him, so he has to be more aggressive. It's different tactics for different situations, I don't think it's actually a flaw in the show, just that DD has to take threats more seriously because he is more in danger than they are.

Apparently a bit of it was MoCap, or I'm confusing Hulk movies, as happens. But that's ultimately besides the point. The durability or strength of the characters is secondary to creating an actually visually interesting fight. There are reasons why JJ or LC are not doing all the crazy backflips that DD ends up performing. That's fair. But there is no excuse for shooting a fight scene that is supposed to be engaging, but is, in fact, boring. And the fight scenes in JJ and LC were choreographed and shot in a very boring manner.

Now there are other ways to make a fight interesting, showing grit, determination, pain, are easy ways. They can also be funny. Watching people shoot at or attack Luke and him shrugging it off is funny. Once. After that it gets old. Have the villains be more original, or try something interesting to actually make put the hero in a compromising situation during the fight. Instead he get Cottonmouth just doing nothing but asking about a bullet. Which, admittedly does ramp up the excitement, only we're left with literally nothing to worry about until said bullet gets there halfway through the series.

Ping Pong Along
2016-10-22, 06:48 PM
You're right, the fights in DD are much better than JJ and LC. I know especially for comic fans, that lack of great action in those shows is why they prefer DD. For me, I'm not much of an action fan. The fights in DD are so engaging though that I find them enjoyable and engaging. I don't tune out like I often do for that kind of thing. The thing with JJ and LC though is that the shows have a lot of other things they'd rather spend their time on. Action is more of a secondary concern. As it is, I'm pretty fine with that. If they all had the same focus, it'd probably get stale. I am looking forward to seeing how things are done in the Defenders given that it's the same team as DD. I'll just have to wait and see.

Eldan
2016-10-24, 11:22 AM
I'm not much of an action fan either, but when I have to watch it, I'd rather have nice-looking action. All the fight scenes in LC were just deadly dull.

Leewei
2016-10-24, 03:22 PM
Watching people shoot at or attack Luke and him shrugging it off is funny. Once. After that it gets old.
A lot of the tension in Luke Cage came from the fact that those near him were fragile. Pops, Bobby, Claire, and others were very vulnerable to gunfire. The antagonists took advantage of this on a few occasions, but thankfully didn't overplay the hostage taking before the end of the movie.

Some of my favorite parts of both Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were the casual use of superhuman strength:
-Jessica's hospital infiltration where she ripped a lock off a locker.
-Luke's smack-aside-the-head knockouts. (He's pulling his punches, but still showing contempt for the poor idiots he's fighting.)
-Jessica's lifting of the car, along with the threat of frying a guy with her "heat vision".
-Luke's "John Henry" moments when he pounds through walls.

Yeah, the fights are usually one-sided, unscientific brawls. They're also used pretty sparingly in both series. Most of the suspense in JJ comes from one hell of a nasty, effective villain. In LC, the suspense is seeing the co-evolution of both Luke and his antagonists.