PDA

View Full Version : Journey to the West and Mermaid (chinese pop fantasy movies)

tantric
2016-10-06, 04:11 PM
Here are the trailers:

Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aelriSQLqkc

Mermaid

Link to Mermaid trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvMk7Z0Sp7E)

Curious if others have seen these and your takes on them? If there's interest, i'll post my own reviews

Fri
2016-10-07, 06:13 AM
Wow, I almost thought you're spambot :smallbiggrin:

No opinion on the movie, just wanting to confirm to the others that you're not a spambot, haha.

Well, at least what I've seen so far. You could still be an advanced AI for all I know.

khadgar567
2016-10-07, 06:48 AM
some one with simple knowledge of coding makin ai just to troll some forum is kinda over kill on resources and useless to you make sentient program can post consistently in forum and answer others either you gotta lot of time in your hand or you are plain old nuts

JoshL
2016-10-07, 07:09 AM
I haven't seen the Mermaid yet, but I loved Journey to the West. I'm a big fan of Stephen Chow! He has a wonderful sense of the absurd, even in a more "serious" fantasy film like JttW.

Leewei
2016-10-07, 09:46 AM
I haven't seen the Mermaid yet, but I loved Journey to the West. I'm a big fan of Stephen Chow! He has a wonderful sense of the absurd, even in a more "serious" fantasy film like JttW.

I love Stephen Chow movies. He's got a great sense for both slapstick as well as incredible fight choreography. Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer are both personal favorites. From Beijing with Love is gut-bustingly funny - both a parody of 007 movies, and a very decent action movie. Forbidden City Cop is also a wonder. Journey to the West was good, but not as good as the others I've listed. I plan on catching Mermaid on Netflix.

tantric
2016-10-07, 05:50 PM
why do people keep thinking i'm a spambot? i mean, i'm a perl guru, i could probably write one. once, i had a shrink bf who like to talk to me through chat rooms. i channeled ELIZA (http://www.manifestation.com/neurotoys/eliza.php3) into the chatroom and let him talk to it for a while...

i loved 'journey', but 'mermaid' creeped me out - the graphic violence was just too much.

Razade
2016-10-08, 06:31 PM
why do people keep thinking i'm a spambot? i mean, i'm a perl guru, i could probably write one. once, i had a shrink bf who like to talk to me through chat rooms. i channeled ELIZA (http://www.manifestation.com/neurotoys/eliza.php3) into the chatroom and let him talk to it for a while...

i loved 'journey', but 'mermaid' creeped me out - the graphic violence was just too much.

Your lack of proper capitalization is probably one of the big reasons.

Fri
2016-10-12, 04:01 AM
Also recently we have an influx of eloquent spambots who post actually coherent threads or replies.

On topic, on stephen chow's movie, my favourite is actually God of Cookery. It's pretty great because the absurdity of how mundane it supposed to be. From Beijing with love is great, for one gag though. That gag honestly make the whole movie worth it.

For the whole of the movie, the "Q" character who provide the main character with gadgets keep hinting on how he's currently in the process of making the ultimate weapon.

Later on, at the climatic encounter, the main character was facing the main villain, who is a guy with seemingly completely impervious set of body armor. None of the protagonist's gadgets can hurt him. When things get grim, the Q guy enter the scene, saying that he finally finished his ultimate weapon...

that turned out to be a stick with various random weapons tied to it, like a gun, a grenade, a sword, etc.

Leewei
2016-10-12, 09:26 AM
Also recently we have an influx of eloquent spambots who post actually coherent threads or replies.

On topic, on stephen chow's movie, my favourite is actually God of Cookery. It's pretty great because the absurdity of how mundane it supposed to be. From Beijing with love is great, for one gag though. That gag honestly make the whole movie worth it.

For the whole of the movie, the "Q" character who provide the main character with gadgets keep hinting on how he's currently in the process of making the ultimate weapon.

Later on, at the climatic encounter, the main character was facing the main villain, who is a guy with seemingly completely impervious set of body armor. None of the protagonist's gadgets can hurt him. When things get grim, the Q guy enter the scene, saying that he finally finished his ultimate weapon...

that turned out to be a stick with various random weapons tied to it, like a gun, a grenade, a sword, etc.

"This weapon contains seven types of death!"

I think one of the items on it was a bottle of poisonous pills, too.

There was also his backwards-forwards shooting pistol. The dumbest weapon ever for a spy to carry, unless it falls into exactly the wrong (right) hands.

I also loved when he went to get "proper" spy clothes.

GloatingSwine
2016-10-12, 11:36 AM
why do people keep thinking i'm a spambot?

New user posts something which looks similar to an advert.

People's heuristic recognition perks up.

Velaryon
2016-10-13, 12:50 PM
why do people keep thinking i'm a spambot?

As others have said, it's been a problem recently, and a newer user can easily be mistaken for one. If it's a recurring problem for you, try adding a signature and/or custom avatar to your profile. That should solve the problem.

tantric
2016-10-27, 10:36 PM
did anyone else find the Mermaid's violence a bit much?

lovablepal
2016-11-02, 08:19 AM
I don't really watch these kinds of movies but I guess I should give it a try.