PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.P] Unusual Throwing Build

Rusvul
2016-10-06, 04:49 PM
Hey Playground, was hoping to get some input on a character build I'm considering.

I'm going for a sort of jack-of-all-trades build with an emphasis on throwing knives, feinting, and if I can fit it, intimidation. All first party sources from 3.5 and Pathfinder are allowed with DM approval, with the exception of ToB, ToM, and Incarnum. I think it's safe to assume that Pathfinder initiators are banned as well.

My current plan is Factotum 8/Invisible Blade 5, Master Thrower 5, Chameleon 2. Not necessarily in that order.

The idea with feinting is that I can use Ranged Feint (a Pathfinder feat that does exactly what it sounds like) to feint before quick-drawing a dagger and throwing it. Because the target is flat-footed and Iajutsu Focus is poorly worded, I can deal boatloads of extra damage if I can make a high enough skill check- something I'm almost guaranteed to be able to do, because I'm a Factotum. Tack on the +3d6 sneak attack damage from Invisible Blade, and this makes me a formidable damage dealer. The Blinkback Belt from Pathfinder makes returning weapons a non-issue, as well as allowing me to draw my weapon repeatedly. Depending on my DM's ruling on Weapon Crystals of Returning, I might also be able to conceal my knife without penalty, which could prove rather useful.

Downside is, it doesn't come online until level 11. Seeing as the game will *probably* start at first level, this could be a problem, though as long as I'm still fairly potent before that point I think it would be tolerable. I'd also be able to feint for only one attack per round (assuming my DM makes me stick to errata, which he might not) but even then it might be worth it for the potentially huge Iajutsu Focus damage.

Even with that, though, I'm still not sure on Invisible Blade- it isn't great, and I have to take all five levels for it to pay off at all. I could drop it and take more Factotum or Chameleon instead. I've also been toying with the idea of taking a few levels of either the CW Swashbuckler or the Pathfinder Swashbuckler- a 3-level dip has fairly significant benefits for a thrower.

Intimidate tactics are fairly straightforward- DOTU's Imperious Command with either the Never Outnumbered skill trick or (if my DM is okay with cross-system abuse) the Dazzling Display feat. I haven't done extensive research, but I'm aware there are other things that can be done to decrease the action required to intimidate in combat.

Soranar
2016-10-06, 05:00 PM
There's a feat in city of stormreach that lets you take 10 on one skill (hardened criminal)
You need iron will for it but taking 10 on iaijutsu focus is pretty good

another option would be dipping exemplar (which would also let you take 10 on bluff checks to feint)

There's also quite a few skilltricks that let you flat foot an opponent once per encounter